Thermomix Pulut Hitam
The concept of having rice for dessert is enough to make my screw my face up in confusion.
WHY would I want rice and more carbs for dessert?
It’s like, why serve potato in a rice or pasta dish? Carb on carb action.
Yet, for some reason, I don’t seem to think of pulut hitam as a rice dish.
Yes. I’m delusional.
Sticky rice rice with mango also isn’t technically a rice dish for me. I think it must be Asian rice desserts aren’t carby in my eyes… who knows!
I can’t remember the first time I had pulut hitam. It was no doubt on a trip to the motherland, Malaysia. It’s also a dish I’ve enjoyed at a few restaurants down here, with the alteration of serving it with ice-cream instead of coconut milk. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it people! Coconut ice-cream if you can, if not; vanilla does the job!
If you are wondering where to buy black glutinous rice from, any good Asian grocer should stock it.
Bubur Pulut Hitam (Black Glutinous Rice Pudding)Print Recipe
- 200g black glutinous rice
- 1.3L water
- 2 pandan leaves, cut into 5cm pieces
- 50g sugar
- 100g dark palm sugar
- coconut cream or coconut ice-cream, to serve
- Rinse rice and place into a fry pan. Stir over gentle heat until rice is dry and slightly toasted. Soak in enough water just to cover and for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Place rice, water and pandan leaves into TM bowl and cook for 15 minutes at Varoma temperature on Reverse + speed 1. Remove MC and cover with basket if it bubbles up too much.
- Add sugar and palm sugar and cook for 40-50 minutes at 100C on Reverse + speed 1.5 (Pulut Hitam is cooked when it thickens and grains are soft).
- Serve hot with coconut cream drizzled on top or cold with coconut cream and ice-cream.