Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry & Lemon Butter
I’m nearly done sorting and recycling all my billions of cooking magazines I’ve been hoarding. Let me just say, it’s the best thing I’ve done for a while. I’m finding all these amazing recipes I forgot about (this one included) and making more space to store other random junk we have accumulated. I just have a small pile of Jamie Oliver magazines to go through then I should be done. No doubt I’ll find a box of magazine when we move, but I really hope I don’t!
I’m loving that blueberries are so cheap at the moment. I’ve been buying them and just nomming on them at work for afternoon tea. Much healthier than chocolate, or some other calorie loaded crapola.
Every time I make pancakes, I am reminded at how crap of a pancake flipper I am. By the end of it I’m pretty pro though. I just have to remember, wait for the bubbles to start forming on top, THEN flip. NO EARLIER!!
These are super easy to make, and so light and fluffy. I’ll be keeping this recipe on hand to make more often! But, beware, I have a box of magazine rip outs to cook my way through, some have already ended up in the bin, some in the filing folder. I’ll show you how I file my recipes soon at the request of some people on twitter 🙂
Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry & Lemon ButterPrint Recipe
- 50g unsalted butter
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 55g caster sugar
- 175ml buttermilk
- 175ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- icing sugar, to dust
Blueberry & Lemon Butter
- 150g blueberries
- 55g caster sugar
- finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Begin the butter a day ahead.For butter, cook berries, sugar and juice in a small pan over low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar. Increase heat to medium-low for 1 minute until fruit just bursts. Add butter and zest. Remove from heat. Stir to combine (don't crush berries). Pour into 4 ramekins and chill for 2-3 hours until thick (it won't harden).
- For pancakes, melt butter in a small pan over low heat. Pour top layer of clear (clarified) butter into a bowl. Discard milky layer at base. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Make a well in centre, add milks and eggs and whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Brush with a little clarified butter. Using ¼ cup (60ml) batter for each, pour 2-3 pancakes into pan, spaced well apart.
- Cook 2 minutes or until bubbles appear on top. Turn and cook for a further 1 minute until golden. Keep warm while you cook remaining pancakes, brushing pan with more butter between batches.
- Pile 3 pancakes on each plate and serve with a ramekin of butter. Dust with icing sugar.