Yo-yos are one of my favourite biscuits, and home made are ALWAYS better than shop bought! I finally found my old yo-yo recipe I used to make in the early years of this blog. Prahran Market sent me out some passionfruit as part of the July mystery box, so I decided to pimp up the old recipe by adding passionfruit curd. Delish!
185g unsalted butter, softened
60g icing sugar
60g custard powder
185g plain flour
4 tbs unsalted butter, softened
8 tbs icing sugar, sifted
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
80ml passionfruit pulp (about 4 passionfruit)
50g butter, chopped
2 tsp lime juice
- Make the passionfruit curd. Whisk the yolks in a heatproof bowl to combine. Combine the sugar, passionfruit pulp and butter in a saucepan over low heat and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Whisking continuously, add a third of the passionfruit mixture to yolks, then add to pan and stir continuously until thickened (do not boil). Add lime juice, remove from heat, cover and chill for around 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 160C (140C fan-forced).
- To make the biscuits, cream butter and icing sugar until light in colour and consistency.
- Sift the custard powder and flour times. Stir into cream mixture.
- With floured hands, roll teaspoons of mixture into balls and place onto a cookie tray lined with baking paper. Dip fork into plain flour and press the biscuits slightly down to leave an indent.
- Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes or until pale golden colour (the bottoms should be golden brown). Cool on tray for about 5 minutes before moving to wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, mix butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract together until combined.
- Sandwich biscuits together using 1 teaspoon filling and ½ teaspoon passionfruit curd. Chill for 30 minutes.