Orange Almond Cupcakes
So going through my new stack of magazines I decided the first recipe to try out were these orange almond cupcakes from an old Donna Hay issue.
Baked these for a friendly gathering for an old friend that is down from Sweden. Had a few extras for some friends I was seeing later that day.
They were deliciously moist and tasty. I might have put too much orange juice or zest.
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 cups almond meal
1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, extra
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
2 teapsoons grated orange rind, extra
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
2. Beat the butter, orange rind and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well.
3. Gently stir through the orange juice, almond meal and flour with a wooden spoon.
4. Spoon the mixture into 12 x 1/2 cup capacity non-stick muffin pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool on a wire rack.
5. To make the icing, combine the extra orange juice, icing sugar and extra orange rind and mix until smooth. Spoon over the cupcakes and spread with a knife.