Friands

“These are an adapted version of Bill Granger's recipe. They are definitely a crowd favourite, although I think I should try chocolate ones next time!”

Recipes | October 17, 2013
Friands_feature image
Friands

Friands

Friands

It’s no secret I like to bake. The people are work are getting to know this too. I would be baking tonight… well the night is still young, I still MIGHT bake.

A few weeks ago, I made a double batch of Bill Granger’s friands to use up some eggs. When making the second batch I ran out of almond meal and substituted in hazelnut meal instead. The hazelnut ones tasted WAY better than the almond ones. They were a HUGE hit, with “Shrek” admitting to eating four throughout the course of the day. Even picky eater, but all around hilarious girl “Nemo” really like the hazelnut ones, even if she didn’t touch the berries on top 😛

And in case you are wondering, no I don’t work at Disney or Pixar 😛

Make them, you’ll love them! Have a great weekend peeps! x

Friands
Ingredients
  1. 135g ground hazelnuts (hazelnut meal)
  2. 220g icing sugar, sifted
  3. 85g plain flour, sifted
  4. 8 egg whites
  5. 150g unsalted butter, melted
  6. 115g mixed berries (frozen are fine!)
  7. icing sugar, extra for dusting
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and flour a non-stick 12 hole friand tin. Mix together the ground hazelnuts, icing sugar and flour. Stir in the egg whites until just combined. Stir in the melted butter.
  2. Pour the batter into the tins. Arrange the berries on top of each friand.
  3. Bake for 25-30 mins or until pale and golden. The friands should spring back when touched. Remove from the oven onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with extra icing sugar and stir in an airtight container.
Adapted from Bill Granger
Adapted from Bill Granger
Iron Chef Shellie https://ironchefshellie.com/

Friands

Comments

13 comments on “Friands
  1. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - October 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Arghhh I want to make and will definitely substitute hazelnut meal but but I don’t babe a friands pan… Is that a sign that I should get one??? Hehe :)

2. Keren - October 18, 2013 at 7:38 am

Ooooh, I haven’t made friands in ages. Hazelnut meal sounds like it would be a great substitute though … don’t you just love accidental discoveries like that :)

3. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - October 18, 2013 at 8:13 am

I’ve been wanting to bake with hazelnut meal! I can just imagine how these taste…

4. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - October 18, 2013 at 9:10 am

Trying to restrain myself from buying a friand tin – I have so much baking stuff but this recipe makes me think I NEED one!

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme - October 18, 2013 at 9:15 am

I never realised how easy friands were to make. Always thought they were more complicated than that.

6. leaf (the indolent cook) - October 18, 2013 at 11:06 am

Yum! I like hazelnut meal, too… and I’ve found them to usually be slightly cheaper as well. Double win!

7. Mez - October 18, 2013 at 1:08 pm

They are called Friends Shellie, not Friands…. :p

These look so delicious!!!

8. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - October 18, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Someone gave me a friand pan and I’ve never used it. Now I know what to put in it!

9. GourmetGetaways - October 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

They look gorgeous!
    I would love one right now with my morning coffee, you must be very popular at work.

10. Clujen - October 28, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Love your blog! Made these tonight and they were amazing, everyone in my household couldn’t get enough. I loved the hazelnut meal, next time I might try with half almond and half hazelnut. Thanks for the recipe. Chloe

11. Clujen - October 28, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Oh and I didn’t have a friand pan so I just used a muffin tin and filled them about 3/4 full :)

12. msihua (@msihua) - November 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

I still read Friands as friends :)