It’s no secret I like to bake. The people are work are getting to know this too. I would be baking tonight… well the night is still young, I still MIGHT bake.
A few weeks ago, I made a double batch of Bill Granger’s friands to use up some eggs. When making the second batch I ran out of almond meal and substituted in hazelnut meal instead. The hazelnut ones tasted WAY better than the almond ones. They were a HUGE hit, with a co-worker admitting to eating four throughout the course of the day. Even picky eater, but all around hilarious girl Rachel (another co-worker), really like the hazelnut ones, even if she didn’t touch the berries on top!
Make them, you’ll love them! Have a great weekend peeps! x
- 135g ground hazelnuts (hazelnut meal)
- 220g icing sugar, sifted
- 85g plain flour, sifted
- 8 egg whites
- 150g unsalted butter, melted
- 115g mixed berries (frozen are fine)
- icing sugar, extra for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and flour a non-stick 12 hole friand tin. Mix together the ground hazelnuts, icing sugar and flour. Stir in the egg whites until just combined. Stir in the melted butter.
- Pour the batter into the tins. Arrange the berries on top of each friand.
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until pale and golden. The friands should spring back when touched. Remove from the oven onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with extra icing sugar and stir in an airtight container.
Post updated 20 July 2020.
13 comments on “Friands”
Leave a Reply to Maureen | Orgasmic Chef Cancel reply
Arghhh I want to make and will definitely substitute hazelnut meal but but I don’t babe a friands pan… Is that a sign that I should get one??? Hehe 🙂
Ooooh, I haven’t made friands in ages. Hazelnut meal sounds like it would be a great substitute though … don’t you just love accidental discoveries like that 🙂
Heidi - Apples Under My Bed
I’ve been wanting to bake with hazelnut meal! I can just imagine how these taste…
Cara @ Gourmet Chick
Trying to restrain myself from buying a friand tin – I have so much baking stuff but this recipe makes me think I NEED one!
Tina @ bitemeshowme
I never realised how easy friands were to make. Always thought they were more complicated than that.
leaf (the indolent cook)
Yum! I like hazelnut meal, too… and I’ve found them to usually be slightly cheaper as well. Double win!
They are called Friends Shellie, not Friands…. :p
These look so delicious!!!
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef
Someone gave me a friand pan and I’ve never used it. Now I know what to put in it!
They look gorgeous!
I would love one right now with my morning coffee, you must be very popular at work.
Lizzy (Good Things)
Love your blog! Made these tonight and they were amazing, everyone in my household couldn’t get enough. I loved the hazelnut meal, next time I might try with half almond and half hazelnut. Thanks for the recipe. Chloe
Oh and I didn’t have a friand pan so I just used a muffin tin and filled them about 3/4 full 🙂
I still read Friands as friends 🙂