Chicken and Bacon Pies
This week for mid week cooking, Donna Hay came off the book shelf again. I tried her recipe for chicken and bacon pies. What caught my eye was the homemade potato crisps that replace the traditional pastry top.
The only problem I encountered was that I could have used a bit more chicken. Unlike last week’s mid week cooking where there was an excess of chicken, this week we could have done with some of the leftovers.
Gorgeously rich in flavour, these pies are perfect for a cold winter night. I probably could have left the potatoes to crisp up a little more, but I could not wait! They smelt so good!
Chicken & Bacon Pies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 rashers bacon, chopped
- 2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white wine
- 1 cup (250ml) pouring cream
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 350g potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- melted butter, for brushing
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F).
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for a further 3-5 minutes or until brown.
3. Add the white wine, cream, salt and pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened slightly.
4. Spoon the mixture into 4 x 1
¼ cup capacity (310ml) ovenproof dishes and top with the potato slices. Brush with melted butter, place the pies on a baking tray and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are golden and crispy.