Ondeh Ondeh

“Wanna know something ridiculous? I was scared of these little green balls. I used to see people put them into their mouths and exclaim about the burst of liquid in their mouths. I was mortified. Now, I can't get enough of them!”

Ondeh - Feature Image
Ondeh Ondeh

Ondeh Ondeh

Wanna know something ridiculous?

I was mortified.

Then one day I tried one, and I fell in love. Since then, I’ve been hooked. Even mastered the art of making the best damn ondeh ondeh around. My friends love them, and I love to see the joy it brings to their face as they eat them, and the ego boost I get when I hear how good they are 😛

Being half Malaysian, we know them as Ondeh-Ondeh (or Onde-Onde). Lots of people on instagram like to tell me I’m wrong and tell me they are Indonesian and their name is Klepon. I have nothing against Indonesian version, but I’m sorry, Ondeh-Ondeh is far more fun to say, and that’s the name I grew up with.

Ondeh-Ondeh is a traditional kuih in Malaysia. Kuihs are a bite sized snack or dessert food; also spelt kueh or kway. These little morsels are usually made with sweet potato or glutinous rice flour that has been infused with pandan (screwpine leaf) and filled with palm sugar (gula melaka), boiled then rolled in fresh grated coconut. When you boil the ondeh, the palm sugar melts inside, which gives you the liquid centre that bursts in your mouth when you take a bite.

This recipe is a family recipe. I’ve been asked many time to share it…. so if you don’t hear from me next week, it’s because my family has “taken care” of me, and I’ll be lying somewhere in the middle of the ocean for sharing this recipe 😛

Ondeh Ondeh
Ingredients
  1. 2 sweet potatoes
  2. 1 potato
  3. 2 tablespoon sugar
  4. Pandan Paste
  5. Glutinous rice flour (enough to form into a dough)
  6. Gula Melaka (dark palm sugar)
  7. Desiccated Coconut with hot water and pinch of salt for the rolling
Instructions
  1. Boil potatoes and mash.
  2. Add sugar, pandan paste and enough glutinous rice flour to form into a dough. Knead till smooth.
  3. Cut up palm sugar into chunks for the inside of Ondeh Ondeh ball.
  4. Form small balls, make a well in the centre of each ball and place palm sugar in it. Wrap the palm sugar with dough and roll back into a ball.
  5. Boil water in pot and drop balls in and lift out when they float to the surface.
  6. Roll balls in desiccated coconut and serve.
Iron Chef Shellie https://ironchefshellie.com/

Ondeh Ondeh

Comments

20 comments on “Ondeh Ondeh
  1. Tina @ bitemeshowme - May 23, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I’ve never had this but I want these balls so badly.. mmm balls 😛

2. angela@mykikicake - May 23, 2013 at 12:02 pm

OH these look so pretty. I definitely want to try one..you have me hooked with the mention of a palm sugar centre.

3. gastronomous anonymous - May 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm

oh i LOVE onde2. mum makes them but i have been SOOOO lazy to make them….

4. milkteaxx - May 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm

balls balls balls! when are you sending some up to syd? ive heard wayyyy too much praises about these!

5. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - May 23, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I LOVE ONDEH ONDEH!!! And can I just say I’ve been waiting for you to blog about them? Now I love you too!!! Imma try to make these balls.

6. Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today - May 23, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I don’t think that name is that important. I am always more curious in taste. And you made me curious.

7. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - May 23, 2013 at 10:09 pm

These are so freaking awesome!!! I’ve never seen, heard or had any Ondeh ondeh until you made them!!! And of course I’m hooked as well now! I had no idea that they were made out of sweet potatoes all the other recipes I’ve seen just use glutinous rice flour!

Fingers cross when I make them they’ll be a success :)

8. Constance Ant - May 23, 2013 at 11:27 pm

this is one of my favourite kuih-muih (soft cookies/cakes in malay!)! i loove how the gula melaka oozes out in my mouth when i bite it. ooh la la 😀

9. leaf (the indolent cook) - May 24, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I love ondeh-ondeh. You make it seem so easy to make!

10. msihua (@msihua) - May 27, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Since I didn’t say Balls in my mouth in the last one.. BALLS IN MY MOUTH!

11. msihua (@msihua) - May 27, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Since I didn’t say it on my last comment! BALLS IN MY MOUTH!

12. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice - May 27, 2013 at 9:47 pm

These are awesome, and totally new to me. I’m really wanting to foray into Asian desserts (love eating them, so why not learn to make them?)

Your instructions are really clear… can’t guarantee mine will be as good as yours but I’ll try and let you know how I go :)

13. Sara @bellyrumbles - May 31, 2013 at 12:22 am

I have actually made these at in a Malaysian cooking class. Yours look so much better, more vibrant. Love onde-onde.

14. Julie - May 31, 2013 at 5:17 pm

BALLS of awesomeness! I have bookmarked it and will make it soon 😀

15. Gourmet Getaways - June 1, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Oh I had these in Bali but I had no idea how to make them!!! Thank you for sharing :)

16. Agnes - June 4, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Your balls are the best balls.

17. Ira - June 6, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Oh those are some juicy balls! BAHAHHAHAHA!

18. Angie Wheatley - October 10, 2014 at 12:47 am

I am afraid that this is not much of a recipe. How much glutinuous flour? Sweet potatoes come in various sizes. Pandan paste or is it the blended pandan leaf? Any liquids added?