Chicken Sang Choy Bau

“Hamish recently declared his dislike of shiitake mushrooms. But if I can convert him for disliking poached chicken, to really enjoying it; I thought I’d give it a red hot go with shiitake mushrooms since I loooooove them! I felt like I was trying to hide vegetables in food for children when cooking this. I...”

Recipes | March 1, 2012
Chicken Sang Choy Bau

Chicken Sang Choy Bau

I felt like I was trying to hide vegetables in food for children when cooking this. I chopped most of the mushrooms rather fine, and left some chunky to see if I could try and get away with serving him shiitake mushrooms. Usually I’m quizzed before we eat what’s in the dish, but Hamish must have been rather hungry and dived right in. Only after a while he asked, ‘what mushrooms are these?’ Luckily the truth didn’t phase him, and we kept gobbling it all up!

Can’t wait to make this again! Next time, I think I’ll add some water chesnuts for the crunch factor.

Chicken Sang Choy Bau

Adapated from Australian Good Food Magazine

6 dried shiitake mushroom
1 head of baby cos lettuce (ice berg lettuce is usually used)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
500g chicken mince
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoons sugar

Optional additions:
Water chesnuts (cook them with the chicken mixture)
Serve with bean sprouts and garlic chives
Steamed jasmine rice as a side

1. Place mushroom in a small heatproof bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover. Set aside for 30 minutes, until softened. Drain mushrooms and thinly slice. I like to remove the stalks as they are still a little bit too tough.
  2. If using iceberg lettuce, place in a bowl of ice water. Refrigerate for 30 mins, until crisp. (I found I did not have to do this when using baby cos lettuce).
  3. Heat oil in a work or large frying pan on medium. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 mins, until translucent. Add garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring for 2 mins, until fragrant. Add chicken and increase heat to high. Break up any lumps whilst stirring, for 5 mins until browned.
  4. Add mushrooms, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, sugar and 1/4 cup water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
  5. Drain lettuce leaves (or wash your baby cos lettuce leaves), and pat dry. Place on serving plates, fill with chicken mixture. Top with bean sprouts and garlic chives.

Chicken Sang Choy Bau

Comments

13 comments on “Chicken Sang Choy Bau
  1. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - March 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Yummy ~ Why doesn’t Hamish like shiitake mushrooms? I love all types of mushroom hehe I haven’t had sang choy bau for a while now gotta make some soon and I really like the idea of water chestnuts their one of my favourites!

2. Jenny Schimak - March 1, 2012 at 9:43 pm

That dish looks delicious. I prefer cos to iceberg myself so would keep my version like yours.

3. leah - March 2, 2012 at 8:05 am

Oh i have to try this, im not a huge fan of the shiitake mushroom either. But this looks yummy.

4. Michelle chin - March 2, 2012 at 11:51 am

Where do you get your water chestnuts?

5. Vien @ We Dare Food - March 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I love shiitake mushrooms! AND peanuts so I try to add roasted peanuts into everything! 😉

6. Vien @ We Dare Food - March 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

That looks really yummy AND healthy! 😀 Thank you for the recipe! I’ll try to remake it and maybe add some roasted peanuts too? I can’t get enough of them!

7. Helen - March 3, 2012 at 10:06 am

It is really yammy. Both my mum and my daughter just loved it. I put more mushroom and water chestnut in, it is so delicious. Great!

8. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 3, 2012 at 11:40 am

Shiitake are probably my least fav mushroom, still yummy though! so maybe i can see where Hamish is coming from. maybe :) enoki are my fav at the moment. love this dish & you’re right, water chesnuts for the crunch factor would be amazing too!

9. Martyna @ WholesomeCook - March 4, 2012 at 8:45 am

Haha! Boys! I’m often quizzed too, but it’s my fault because I’ve “tricked” the man a few times into eating something that he wouldn’t have liked if he knew what it was – eventhough he liked it when he didn’t know. If that makes sense…. Love shiitake and your gorgeous pics!

10. tania@mykitchenstories - March 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Hail the smart mother who knows how to hide things in their dinner!. This looks great and I am sure I could even fool my teenager with it

11. Nic@diningwithastud - March 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Im making this tonight :) love sang choy bau – its always ordered when we eat out.

12. Winston - March 6, 2012 at 5:30 pm

YUMMY! And LOL at being able to convert Hamish into eating something he didn’t like once again. BRAVAAA, Michele! What a simple, healthy and wholesome dinner. Love it. Can’t wait to read about what else you get Hamish to try lol ;p