Chocolate Fudge Cake

“Thanks to Christina from The Hungry Australian for hosting this month’s Sweet Blog Hop. With the theme being ‘Death by Chocolate’, this one was right up my alley… but what to make?! My friend Katie had her birthday on Saturday, and we were some of the surprise guests at her birthday dinner she thought only...”

Recipes | January 16, 2012
Chocolate Fudge Cake

Chocolate Fudge Cake

My friend Katie had her birthday on Saturday, and we were some of the surprise guests at her birthday dinner she thought only her family was going to. To top things off, I made a cake and got the restaurant staff to bring it out and surprise her yet again! I forgot to take photos of the cake before as it was meant to be my entry for the blog hop. Luckily we brought home two slices and one was good enough to photograph. Thank goodness, because I didn’t want to make anything chocolatey again for my hips sake!!

Luckily this cake was a big hit with the birthday crowd, and who doesn’t like the fun that hundreds and thousands bring! Happy Birthday again Katie! :)

Chocolate Fudge Cake

James Martin

200g milk chocolate
200g butter
200g brown sugar
100ml soured cream
2 eggs , beaten
200g self-raising flour
5 tbsp cocoa powder
hundreds and thousands , to decorate

Chocolate Icing
100g milk chocolate
1/2 a 395g can condensed milk
100g butter

1. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Line a 22 x 22cm square tin with baking parchment. Put the chocolate, butter and sugar into a large pan with 100ml hot water and gently melt together. Set aside for 2 mins, then stir in the soured cream followed by the eggs. Finally, stir or whisk in the flour and cocoa until lump-free, then pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 50-55 mins until a skewer comes out clean. Sit the tin on a wire rack to cool.
  2. Meanwhile, make the icing. Gently melt together icing ingredients in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, then chill or cool until spreadable.
  3. To decorate, carefully turn out the cooled cake and peel off the baking parchment. Spread the icing over the top and scatter with hundreds and thousands, then cut the cake into triangles or fingers before serving.

Chocolate Fudge Cake

Comments

27 comments on “Chocolate Fudge Cake
  1. Gourmet Chick - January 16, 2012 at 8:34 am

Interesting to have condensed milk in the icing – I haven’t tried that before but I have to say the icing here looks pretty glossy and gorgeous!

2. Katie - January 16, 2012 at 8:35 am

So yummy! You completely surprised me and I was so touched that you wanted to do this for me.

Did you hear me ask the waitress if it was for me?? LOL

3. Lizzy (Good Things) - January 16, 2012 at 9:02 am

Very cute. Love the sprinkles! So celebratory.

4. Anna @The Littlest Anchovy - January 16, 2012 at 9:32 am

Looks divine, all this chocolate is making me hungry!

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme - January 16, 2012 at 11:00 am

This cake looks so quirky and fun. May I have a piece? 😛

6. tania@mykitchenstories - January 16, 2012 at 11:09 am

It looks delicious and what a lovely thing to do

7. Michelle chin - January 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm

This is so darn chocolatey!!! YUMMM

8. EatPlayShop - January 16, 2012 at 5:59 pm

What a yummy looking chocolatey cake! All the cakes in our house (inevitably) gets decorated with hundreds and thousands so we’ll be good at it :) Have never tried condensed milk in icing but it sounds like a genius idea!

9. Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy - January 16, 2012 at 6:20 pm

This is my kind of recipe, it looks quick and easy and I can almost taste it!! Yum.

10. Hannah - January 16, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Oh my gosh, how did I miss this event?!

Also, you’ve just now reignited my had-just-faded obsession with putting sprinkles on everything.

11. thelittleloaf - January 16, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Looks like a very lovely cake – glad you managed to save a slice for the pic! Love the condensed milk in the icing too – it makes it so thick and glossy. Gorgeous.

12. Monica (@gastromony) - January 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Delicious. I like the idea of using condensed milk in the icing :)

13. Tenille @ My Family Table - January 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I’m going to file this one away for the next birthday cake I make, it looks awesome.

14. JJ @ 84thand3rd - January 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Loving the shot of the single slice – bit of cake, bit of icing – it says all it needs to! And hundreds and thousands do indeed make everything better :)

15. Jennifer Wickes - January 17, 2012 at 12:21 am

Who doesn’t like chocolate cake?! Thanks!

16. Katie - January 17, 2012 at 11:40 am

this brings back so many childhood memories for me. I love the hundreds and thousands and the simplicity of this cake. Must. Cook. Now.

17. Mez - January 17, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Oh GOD that looks so good, so good.. But my hips say no… especially so close to our wedding :( :( :(

18. Lau@Corridor Kitchen - January 17, 2012 at 4:49 pm

What a cute slice of cake!

19. Jennifer (Delicieux) - January 17, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Ahh the memories, chocolate cake covered in sprinkles. That was all I wanted for my birthday cake when I was little. Your cake looks fabulous Shellie. I love the sound of the condensed milk icing. I will have to try this!

20. Esz - January 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Gonna make this. Yeh. I’m always hunting for ace chocolate cake recipes. This looks easy and delicious :-)
    I guess I’ve not come across any really CRAP choc cake recipes – but there’s so many to choose from its hard to know which one to pick next. And then you forget which ones were better than others. Does this happen to you or do you catalogue your successful recipes?

• Iron Chef Shellie - January 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm

hehe too true Esz, it is hard to go wrong with chocolate cake recipes. If I have a good recipe I keep it, else it goes in the bin. My mum usually writes things on her’s like “Excellent” or “Good”. sorry, that’s not much help 😛

21. Christina @ The Hungry Australian - January 17, 2012 at 10:47 pm

What a great looking chocolate cake to make for your friend, Katie. I’m sure she loved it – it looks very scrumptious!
    So very glad you joined the bloghop again, Iron Chef Shellie!

22. Moya - January 19, 2012 at 7:03 am

Chocolate and fudgy… can I have a slice please! :)

23. lindamaree @ my garden feast - January 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm

What a great looking piece of cake! Every girl should have a friend as thoughtful as you!

24. Nic@diningwithastud - February 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm

YUM! And lets face it, sprinkles….they’re fab!