Red Velvet Cupcakes

“Red in colour but taste chocolately, yum!”

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Red Velvet Cupcakes

After our first attempt at cupcakes, Iron Chef Katie and I decided we must try the red velvet cupcake recipe…. that was waaaay back in May. A few months later, we finally made a date to get back in the kitchen and give it a whirl!

Luckily Donna Hay’s latest magazine had a recipe for red velvet, so we didn’t have to go looking too far for a recipe.

They weren’t too hard to make, with a bit of team effort, we managed to make a containable mess, with a bit of finger-licking goodness towards the end when photographing the finished product with the icing.

The finished product was delicious! The cocoa powder gives it a nice subtle chocolaty taste, whilst the cream cheese frosting offsets the chocolate tang. The mixture was lovely and fluffy, and we could have eaten all 12 at once… well maybe not, but one can dream.

We found some cheap chocolate hearts at the local sweet shop, and we were just expecting them to be average milk chocolate, but we got a nice surprise when we bit into them, to find they were filled full of strawberry goo.

Red Velvet Cupcakes

2 teaspoons red food colouring

Cream Cheese Frosting
250g cream cheese
50g butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar mixture

1. Preheat the over to 160°C (320°F). Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 10-12 minutes or until light and creamy.

2. Gradually add the eggs and beat well.

3. Add the flour, baking powder, cocoa, buttermilk and food colouring and beat until just combined. Spoon into 12 x 1/2 cup capacity (125ml) muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.

4. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool on wire racks.

5. To make the cream cheese frosting, place the cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6-8 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the icing sugar and beat for a further 6-8 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread onto the cupcakes with a palette knife.

Makes 12.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Comments

8 comments on “Red Velvet Cupcakes
  1. Lorraine E - October 7, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Oooh these looks delicious, I really love that background paper too, so pretty and retro!

2. Katie - October 7, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for letting me come cook with you! I dropped by Scorptec and gave Andy one of the cupcakes. =D He loved them! Elmer said that next time I have to bring enough for him. Little did he know that I had 4 more sitting in the car! LOL Too good to share.

x

3. Iron Chef Shellie - October 7, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Lorraine: Thank you! We wanted to get the jam hearts you used but there was no Aldi near by =( next time!
    x

Katie: You can come and bake anytime! Glad it was more of a success this time though 😛
    Enjoy the leftovers! saving mine for dessert tomorrow night
    x

4. Love&Afros - October 8, 2008 at 7:30 am

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. These look great, I’ve always wanted to try red velvet cake/cupcakes after I saw Oprah eating it on one of her shows once.

5. Iron Chef Shellie - October 9, 2008 at 9:06 am

I’ve wanted to try them for ages!! I can’t wait to bake my next batch and gobble them all up.. muhaha =P
    x

6. Katie - October 9, 2008 at 1:02 pm

I just bought some stuff to make a batch of my own!! =) Just have to wait till the butter softens. I have it sitting in the sun. LOL. Bought myself a little hand mixer too.

7. Kathy - My Online Meals - April 2, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hello red velvet cupcakes! You look too darn pretty to eat but would love to make a dozen of you and give you to my kids to eat. You don't mind do you?