Lemon Cake with Passionfruit Syrup
Couldn’t be bothered going to the gym on Thursday, yet I somehow had motivation to bake…
Had some passionfruit sitting in the fruit bowl calling out my name (must be going insane if I can hear fruit talking to me).
Whipped out the Donna Hay fruit cookbook and found something with passionfruit!
ABSOLUTELY delicious! Work crew loved it, as did the family. If only there was more to go around!
125g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon rind
2.5 cups self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup passionfruit pulp
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Place the butter and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
3. Add the eggs and beat well. Mix through the sour cream, lemon juice, rind, flour and baking powder.
4. Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 23cm round cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Leave the cake in the tin for 5 minutes then place on a rack over a plate.
5. To make the passionfruit syrup, place the passionfruit, sugar and water into a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, then increase the heat and boil the syrup for 4-5 minutes or until it thickens slightly (mine took forever, I ended up adding more sugar to make it thick).
6. Pour the syrup over the top of the hot cake. Allow the cake to stand for 5 minutes, then serve with the remaining syrup.
tried it at work
absolutely delicious cake
9.5 out of 10