Baking with Katie =D … apple custard tea cakes
Lessons we have learnt from today’s experience in the kitchen.
1. Read the instructions.
2. Re-read the instruction.
3. Read them once more just in case you forgot to read STEP 1.
4. Maybe type up the instructions first so you know exactly what you are doing!
5. Don’t be greedy and try to make 24 little cupcakes instead of the full sized 12.
Apple custard tea cakes
– 90g butter
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup caster sugar
– 2 eggs
– 3/4 cup self-raising flour
– 1/4 cup custard powder
– 2 tablespoon milk
– 1 large unpeeled apple, cored, sliced finely
– 30g butter, extra melted
– 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon custard powder
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Make custard (blend custard powder and sugar with milk and extract in small saucepan; stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat; cover surface with plastic wrap; cool.
2. Preheat over to moderate (180 degree or 160 degree fan forced). Line 12-hole standard muffin pan with paper cases.
3. Beat butter, extract, sugar, eggs, flour, custard powder and milk in small bowl with electric mixer on low speed until ingredients are just combined. Increase speed to medium, beat until mixture is changed to a paler colour.
4. Divide half the mixture among cases. Top with custard, then remaining cake mixture; spread mixture to cover custard. Top with apple slices, pressing slightly into cake.
5. Bake large cakes about 40 mins. small cakes about 30 mins.
6. Brush hot cakes with extra butter, then sprinkle with combined extra sugar and cinnamon. Turn cakes onto wire rack. Serve warm or cold.