Lamb, Rosemary & Apple Sausage Rolls

“This recipe is sensational. Every time I make them, the crowd goes wild! So what are you waiting for?”

I never thought I’d buy Annabel Langbein’s cookbook; The Free Range Cook, since I’ve never seen her TV show, or knew anything about her. But I had a quick flick through when I saw the book in the bargain bin at Big W a while ago and realised there were some good recipe in there… ESPECIALLY this one. This one really caught my eye. I LOVE anything with apple in it.

Since it’s getting colder and more miserable with the onset of Winter, it was time to try the recipe, with a nice comforting bowl of roasted tomato and basil soup I whipped up in the Thermomix.

I cannot tell you how awesome these sausage rolls are. I could eat these all day and night until I eventually get sick of them. And when that happened, I’d probably still keep eating them πŸ˜›  I can’t wait to make these again, they could become a Winter staple!

What’s your favourite soup to enjoy in the colder months?

Lamb, Rosemary & Apple Sausage Rolls

Annabel Langbein

400g lamb mince
250g sausage meat, such as pork or beef (I used sausage mince)
1 apple, unpeeled and grated
1 whole egg and 1 egg white
1 small onion, peeled and grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
3 finely chopped sage leaves
1 tsp fruit chutney or tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
Pepper
2 sheets flaky pastry

1. Preheat the oven to 200ΒΊC and line baking trays with baking paper.
  2. Place the ingredients in a bowl and mix well with your hands. I actually squeezed out the juice from the grated onion and apple as well as they seemed pretty sodden with juice.
  3. Roll in the pastry to get the sizes you want. Place on the trays seam side down. Put a hole or a slash in the top of each to allow the steam to escape. Brush the tops with the egg yolk mixed with a tablespoon of water.
  4. Bake 20 mins then check if any liquid has come out of the rolls and soak it up with paper towels if there is any. Bake another 10 mins. Adjust the cooking time for the size of the rolls.

Makes 6 big rolls or 12-18 small rolls

Comments

20 comments on “Lamb, Rosemary & Apple Sausage Rolls
  1. Tina @ bitemeshowme - May 8, 2012 at 8:09 am

They definitely sound like a treat for both adults and kids! I’ve bookmarked this one πŸ˜‰

2. tania@mykitchenstories - May 8, 2012 at 9:38 am

Annabel is great isn’t she. You must have done her proud cause these sausage rolls look beautiful. My favourite soup is any soup someone makes for me!

3. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - May 8, 2012 at 9:58 am

Don’t you just love books in the Bargin Bin? i love buying books that are in there because those are the ones that i wouldn’t buy otherwise hehe and sometimes you really pick up great books ~ Damn I don’t really eat lamb…if not these sausage rolls would be great :) thanks for sharing though because I know Mr Bao would love them!

4. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - May 8, 2012 at 10:02 am

That looks really yummmm!!! I think I know what I’ll be making this weekend. πŸ˜€

5. Michelle - May 8, 2012 at 1:30 pm

these sausage rolls look really interesting.

6. Lisa @ Blithe Moments - May 8, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Mmm those sausage rolls look delish! I find that if you bake sausage rolls on a rack over the oven tray, you get nice even flakiness and any drippings can just drop away. I will be trying these soon!

• Iron Chef Shellie - May 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm

That’s the exact idea I had last night! Will def be trying it next time :)

7. Dhyan - May 10, 2012 at 9:51 am

I love lamb and I was actually looking for a new recipe which I can make this weekend.. Thanks for this idea!

8. Monte Emery - May 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Your recipe makes me salivate already, seems like I’ll be eating a lot when I try making this one. I’ll bring some to my mother on the Mother’s Day. Hope she’ll love this!

9. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - May 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I agree apple works well with so many things – I make a pork, sage and apple sausage roll that is delicious as well (although love the sound of this one)

10. Winston - May 10, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Oh man you’re SO experienced with cookbooks I love it. You’ve cooked from so many of us which is a WIN for us too lol! These sounds delicious. And yay for the awesomeness that is the frozen puff pastry lol! Life saver haha

11. Ames - May 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm

My favourite soup is definitely pumpkin soup (which is what I thought the above was until I looked closer at the description hehe). And those sausage rolls sound delicious! Might give them a try with beef instead since my mum doesn’t eat lamb… cheers :).

12. msihua - May 11, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I CAN EAT THIS! IT HAZ LAMBS! YAYY!

13. Nic@diningwithastud - May 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm

For me its a toss up between minestrone and pumpkin. Love te sausage rolls πŸ˜€

14. Sneh | Cook Republic - May 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm

oooh nice! I have spent all morning looking through her book and bookmarking this recipe along with the Harissa Paste, Busy People’s Bread and Strawberry Cloud Cake … and then I find your post. Guess what I’ll be making first :-)

15. Edward Robins - May 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Interesting indeed! Catchy and classy! I must try this one next morning.

16. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - May 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm

yum yum yum LOVE homemade sausage rolls and pasites and pies and everything warm and comforting :)

17. Debbie - June 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I love Gourmet travelers pork, apple and caramelized onion sausage rolls…will give this one a go this meal planner…