Breakfast Bread & Spicy Tomato Baked Eggs with Beans

“If you want to get cooking on the weekend for a special breakfast, here's a couple of recipes to inspire you!”

What’s not to love about the Easter long weekend? Four days off, you can willingly eat chocolate, and take the time to make amazing food.

I must admit I’ve been feeling at bit lost at some points this weekend, having nothing to do, having caught up on everything. It’s been great though, catching up with family and friends, and sleeeeeeep!

Been loving having an iPad. I purchased the new Donna Hay magazine on it this weekend and loved flipping through it on the couch, with the bonus videos and tips. These two recipes caught my eye, I seem to be drawn to food with the colour red…explains why I loved putting tomato sauce on things that weren’t red when I was a kid.

Both recipes easy to make. If you plan on making both, I suggest you start with the bread, and whilst that is baking you can prepare the baked beans for baking when the bread is done. This bread would be great for a road trip or picnic.

Egg, Pancetta & Gruyère Breakfast Bread

Donna Hay – (source)

• 1¼ teaspoons dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
  • ⅔ cup (160ml) warm water
  • 1½ cups (225g) 00 flour+, plus extra, for dusting
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • ½ tablespoon olive oil, plus extra, for drizzling
  • 4 eggs
  • 8 slices rolled pancetta
  • 250g truss cherry tomatoes
  • 1 cup (100g) grated gruyère++
  • 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
  • ⅓ cup basil leaves
  1. Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Place the yeast, sugar and water in a bowl and set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
  2. Place the flour, salt and olive oil in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the yeast mixture and bring together to form a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a large bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 15–20 minutes.
  3. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to make a 25cm square. Transfer to a deep-sided 25cm-square baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and push dough into the edges.
  4. Crack the eggs onto the dough and top with the pancetta and tomatoes. Sprinkle with the cheese, chilli flakes and basil. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 12–14 minutes or until golden.

Serves 6–8.

+ OO flour is a superfine flour that makes for soft and stretchy dough. It’s available from the baking aisle of most supermarkets.
++ Gruyère is a Swiss-style, hard cow’s milk cheese with a subtle flavour. It’s available from supermarkets and delicatessens.

Spicy Tomato Baked Eggs with Beans

Donna Hay

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 small red onion, sliced
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
  • sea salt and cracked black pepper
  • 2 x 400g can cherry tomatoes (you can get away with just 1 can)
  • 1 x 400g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup (40g) finely grated parmesan, plus extra, to serve
  1. Preheat oven to 200ºC (400ºF). Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
  2. Add the vinegar, chilli, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper and cook for a further 1 minute.
  3. Add the tomato and beans and stir to combine. Crack the eggs into the pan, sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 10 minutes or until eggs are just set.
  4. Sprinkle with extra parmesan to serve

Comments

15 comments on “Breakfast Bread & Spicy Tomato Baked Eggs with Beans
  1. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - April 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Oh I love the idea of a breakfast bread – this looks divine. Great to hear you had a lovely Easter break. PS Gourmet Traveller mag is really good on the iPad as well – they have some video recipes which are great.

2. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - April 9, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I love red too :) these dishes look visually just stunning but also incredibly delicious. What beautiful breakfasts.

3. Michelle - April 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm

i think you make better baked eggs than most cafes out there. the baked eggs that i’ve come across are mostly hard! T_T

4. Winston - April 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Haha! My cousin is slightly opposite of that. He always puts MORE soy sauce in his cooking just cause he doesn’t find it “black” enough lol. Asians4Lyfe hahaha. LOVE the idea of a breakfast bread! Definitely trying it out because it sounds simple enough for a newbie like me haha

5. Sarah - April 9, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Mmm… looks delicious! Both dishes seem really hearty and comforting – it’s so cold right now, I could do with some of that! :)

6. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - April 10, 2012 at 2:04 am

Ohhh yum :D I love all the magazine apps on the Ipad it’s so easy and you can put it onto the bench top and follow the recipe while you cook hehe ~ I’m definitely gonna try making the breakfast bread too it looks SO YUMMY!

7. Tina @ bitemeshowme - April 10, 2012 at 8:24 am

It looks amazing – restaurant quality! I would love to have that in bed. Wish I had someone to cook like that for me first. hahaha. Hope you had a great Easter Shellie! :)

8. Nic@diningwithastud - April 10, 2012 at 10:37 am

Oh this is like my perfect weekend brekkie :D looks amazing Shel! Hope you had a fab Easter :)

9. Adrian (Food Rehab) - April 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm

ooooh – gooey egg! Love. And yes, gotta love these long weekends…turn back time!!! Turn back time!!!!

10. April - April 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Your styling with these photos looks just like it came from the pages of a food magazine! :)

I can’t believe you managed to catch up on everything in one weekend!! Maybe I should I asked you to make this for me for breakfast :P

11. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - April 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Breakfast bread is just such a wonderful idea, love it!

12. Tv Food and Drink - April 30, 2012 at 6:16 am

Those are some truly amazing pictures. I have just gorged on my own breakfast, but I’m tempted to head into the kitchen right now and create both of these. I don’t think I’d be able to eat them, but I’m sure the boyfriend would have no problem. Thanks for sharing!

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)