Pandan Crème Brûlée

“Theme 11: Cup Cookbook Used: Modern Nonya Author: Sylvia Tan Mum brought home a small library of cookbooks recently from her trip to Malaysia. Instead of buying two of everything, she bought one each of a variety of books and we will share. They will be living at her place as I’m currently overflowing a...”

Pandan Crème Brûlée

Pandan Crème Brûlée

Theme 11: Cup
Cookbook Used: Modern Nonya
Author: Sylvia Tan

Mum brought home a small library of cookbooks recently from her trip to Malaysia. Instead of buying two of everything, she bought one each of a variety of books and we will share. They will be living at her place as I’m currently overflowing a bookshelf…purely with cookbooks. Addiction much?

This recipe caught my eye, and I thought it would be perfect for the ‘cup’ theme. It was my first time ever making crème brûlée, so it didn’t turn out as perfectly as I would have liked. But it’s all part of the learning to cook process, and I had fun along the way. Since it was my first time making this French dessert (with an Asian twist), I had to go and purchase a cooking blow-torch. I think I need to work on my blow-torching skills, but managed to get a nice caramelisation going on.

Pandan is like the Asian vanilla, so the flavours worked well together. Essentially it’s a coconut, pandan custard…. and in other words; it’s delicious! I’ll definitely make it again :)

Pandan Crème Brûlée

Sylvia Tan

15 pandan leaves
400ml water
4 medium-sized eggs
140g sugar + more for caramelising
250ml coconut milk

1. Blend pandan leaves in food processor with 250ml water to obtain a green juice. Leave aside.

2. Break eggs into a large mixing bowl, add sugar and stir – do no beat – till sugar has melted and mixture thickens. You do not want to incorporate too much air into the mixture for the custard will not be silky.

3. Add remaining water and coconut milk, then strain the pandan juice into the custard mixture. Stir again.

4. Pour custard mixture into 8 ramekins and steam in a wok half-filled with water over a low fire for 15 minutes or till set.

5. Cool, then chill ramekins, covered with cling film, in the refrigerator.

6. When ready to serve, spread 1 tsp sugar over the top of the custards and either grill or use a blow-torch to caramelise the top.

7. When the sugar has melted, swirl the ramekin around to ensure an even spread of the caramel. Serve when sugar hardens into a crisp layer.

To see what others got up to for the cup theme: http://community.jeroxie.com/groups/cookbook-challenge/forum/topic/theme-11-cup/

Pandan Crème Brûlée

Comments

17 comments on “Pandan Crème Brûlée
  1. Michelle Ng - May 29, 2011 at 1:47 am

Wah looks really good! I have a thing for pandan so I’m def gonna try this recipe!

2. leaf (the indolent cook) - May 29, 2011 at 3:04 am

This has got to be good! I can totally imagine the taste of a pandan-flavoured creme brulee.

3. R&H - May 29, 2011 at 8:23 am

Oh this looks gorgeous! I definitely have to try it. Thanks so much for sharing!

4. Cherrie - May 29, 2011 at 8:39 am

O.M.G! I want. Looks great. I want that book

5. Esz - May 29, 2011 at 10:16 am

They look so cool! 😀

6. Leah - May 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm

They look so good! I dont think I have ever tried pandan, looks like i should give it a go!

7. Hannah - May 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Oh dear heavens, it’s the cup theme already?! Gah, I must be three behind then! Oh no!

This looks and sounds fantastic, and I love that it’s dairy-free. It’s not often I can have creme brulee without tummyaches after :)

8. msihua - May 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Delicious! We have this book too! Hahahaha… we should choose this book for the next CTB 😛

9. Mez - May 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm

That looks so delectable!

The boys are thinking of introducing some sweets at the restaurant, I suggested McDonalds Ice Cream cake circa 1987 (I had it at my b’day party, who am I kidding EVERYONE had it at their b’day parties)… Hamish just rolled his eyes at that suggestion.

Maybe these brulee’s would be a better suggestion!!

• Iron Chef Shellie - May 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm

OMG i have fond memories of an ice-cream cake at maccas! My grandma uses them now to create bombe alaska!

10. Michelle - May 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Pandan! My favorite *squeal*

11. Vien - May 29, 2011 at 9:32 pm

YUM!!!!! looks so good!!!!!!!!!!! :) Miss the taste of pandan!!

12. Vien - May 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm

LOVE PANDAN!!!! :) looks delicious!! yummmm (having a sudden midnight craving!)

13. leigh - May 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm

such a gorgeous green colour – yum!

14. muppy - June 6, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I Loooove the look of this, yum!

15. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - June 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Ok I’ve GOT to get me some pandan, I have no idea what it tastes like. Bad Heidi, bad!
    p.s. your dessert looks heavenly.

16. Johanna GGG - June 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm

How amazing – I sometimes look at the fresh pandan leaves in minh phat and wonder what to do with them – love the greeeeeeen