Being bored on a Sunday can make for a very productive time in the kitchen!
Going out tonight with my boyfriend, my bestfriend and her boyfriend! We are going out to celebrate the boys’ birthdays, so I decided to make 2 cake options, so I can share with my parents as well.
Started off with a recipe I found in mum’s folder of recipes she hasn’t tried yet. The are supposed to be decorated with sugar flowers but who could be bothered doing that! I wasn’t going to even go near the shops today!
They are not too lemony, hope everyone likes them!
(best made on the day of serving)
1/4 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/3 cup plain flour
60g butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
12 sugar flowers, for decoration, optional
1 cup icing sugar mixture
1 teaspoon soft butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat to oven to hot 200 degrees fan forced. Grease and flour a 12-hole madeleine pan or tart tray.
2. Beat the egg and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Add rind; fold in sifted flour, then butter an essence.
3. Drop about 1 tablespoon of mixture into the prepared pans. Bake in a hot oven for about 8 minutes or until browned lightly.
4. Stand for 3 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
5. Glace Icing: sift the icing sugar into a medium heatproof bowl, then stir in butter and juice to form a paste. Place the bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water and stir until the icing is a pouring consistency.
6. Brush the Glace Icing immediately over the madeleines on a wire rack over a tray. Press on the sugar flowers and allow to stand until set.