{Thermomix Thursday} Okonomiyaki

“This Japanese vegetarian pancake is great for clearing out the dredges of the fridge!”

{Thermomix Thursday} Okonomiyaki

Welcome to another new segment, Thermomix Thursday! It’s a chance for me to show you what I’ve been Thermomixing. I love my Thermomix, but didn’t want to turn this into a Thermomix blog as I know the majority of my readers don’t have one, and would have trouble trying to adapt the recipes to non-thermo cooking. On my to do list soon are:

• Make pizza dough
  • Make more bread
  • Make pasta
  • Make the perfect cinnamon scroll
  • Char Siu Bao
  • Hainanese Chicken Rice

… and the list goes on. I’m just so crazy busy at the moment, but I’ll get there!

I’ve heard many people try to track down the perfect okonomiyaki but never really knew what it was. When I bought the In The Mix cookbook, Steph Berg‘s recipe for it was the first recipe I tried. Having met Steph at an In The Mix cooking class with Dani Valent, she talked about how she would often make this recipe with whatever is left in her fridge, which I thought would be a great idea on those ‘I have nothing to cook’ nights. With great success I made it perfectly the first time, and with a side of teriyaki chicken, it was one hell of a delicious dinner. I can’t wait to make it again and have more. Actually craving it now…. nommmm!

Okonomiyaki

Steph Berg -from In The Mix

• 110g tasty cheese, in 2 or 3 pieces
  • 1/4 small cabbage, white or green, roughly chopped
  • 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
  • 3 spring onions, sliced into 1cm rings
  • 300g flour or okonomiyaki flour
  • 1 egg
  • 30g brown sugar
  • 5g salt
  • 300g milk
  • vegetable oil, for frying
  • Kewpie mayonnaise, to serve

Okonomiyaki Sauce

• 2 cloves garlic
  • 10g ginger
  • 60g tomato ketchup
  • 30g tamari
  • 10g mirin
  • 20g rice vinegar
  • 15g sugar
  • 1 teaspoon mustard
  1. Place the tasty cheese in the TM bowl and grate for 5 seconds / speed 9.
  2. Add the cabbage, carrot and celery and chop for 5 seconds / speed 5.
  3. Add the spring onions, flour, egg, brown sugar, salt and milk, and combine on Reverse  / speed 4.
  4. After about 10 seconds slowly add about 100g of the water until a stiff batter forms.
  5. Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a large fry pan to about 5mm depth. It’s hot enough when a drop of batter sizzles. Ladle the batter to make pancakes of about 1.5cm thickness.
  6. Cook for 3 minutes each side or until golden brown. While pancakes are cooking make the sauce;
  7. Okonomiyaki sauce: place garlic and ginger in the TM bowl and chop for 4 seconds / speed 7. Scrape down. Add all the other ingredients, plus Β½ MC water, and cook for 10 minutes / 100 degrees / speed 1 / MC off, or until the sauce is reduced to a glossy pouring consistency. Strain the sauce into a dish for spooning onto the okonomiyaki.

Makes about 10 x 15 pancakes.

These can be made bite size for canapes or frozen for lunchboxes.

Comments

38 comments on “{Thermomix Thursday} Okonomiyaki
  1. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef - July 5, 2012 at 9:27 am

I know just how you feel! I make something in the thermo and then I recreate it “manually” to put it on the blog. crazy!

Maybe I’ll just make a tab for Thermomix recipes.

I love this okonomiyaki. It looks terrific.

2. Mez - July 5, 2012 at 9:51 am

Thermomix…. sigh…

A cot, change table and our trip to Singapore are where all our clams are going at the mo mo….

One day!

xox

3. Jadey - July 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

I am so excited to try this, new to the Thermomix and cooking more than ever. Thank you!

4. Jadey - July 5, 2012 at 10:43 am

Tried to pin this for later but it won let me :-(

• Iron Chef Shellie - July 5, 2012 at 10:52 am

oh that’s annoying!! got to figure that out. I’ll pin it now by uploading an image.

5. Kristy @ Southern In-Law - July 5, 2012 at 10:50 am

Look at you go with your new segments, you’re on a roll Shellie! I’ve never had okonomiyaki before, only heard of it – but now I know what it is!

How I envy your thermomix!

6. Nic@diningwithastud - July 5, 2012 at 10:54 am

Pure delicious stickyness! I want to eat this. Now. Bring it to meeeeee!

7. Michelle - July 5, 2012 at 11:10 am

I don’t have a thermomix but reading this gives me a strange sort of pleasure…

8. Hannah - July 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I have to admit, my favourite thing about okonomiyaki is how the bonito flakes dance with the heat when you sprinkle them on, but I s’pose I could be convinced to eat this verseion too πŸ˜›

9. Libby - July 6, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I don’t own a Thermomix but I do have a craving for okonomiyaki now! Yums!

10. Winston - July 8, 2012 at 12:37 am

OH man…!! I knew we should’ve gotten a Thermomix. But so exppppp…. NUUUUUUUUUUUU. Your Thermomix Thursday series is going to be a painful one to read HAHAHA jk. I love it. It looks fun and my friends with Thermomix are always looking for more things to make with them I’ll refer them to your site and hint VERY strongly for me to take commission or tax for everything that they make with it from here… Sorry Michele but when it comes to getting free food I might need to take all the credit LOL

11. Steph Berg - July 9, 2012 at 1:42 am

Aww shucks Shellie!!!! Was so nice to see this come up in my google alerts!! Feeling the Thermomix LOVE!

I love this recipe and as noted above change it up all the time!!!

So easy HUH..??? Glad you enjoyed :)

Looking forward to seeing what future Thermomix Thursdays hold in store for us.

As always love your work! xoxoxox

12. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - July 9, 2012 at 7:59 am

I agree with Winston it’s going to be so painful to read these posts because I already want Thermomix reading these will just make me want it even MORE πŸ˜›

Sighh now that my stand mixer has died… I think i’m going to have to save up and buy my kitchenaid first before i think of buying an Thermomix :)

Ooo okonomiyaki ~ haven’t had them in a while cravings ~

13. Marta @ What Should I Eat For Breakfast Today? - July 9, 2012 at 8:48 am

It looks amazing, but I don’t have a thermomix. Still, it looks like sth definitely worth trying :)

14. Tina @ bitemeshowme - July 9, 2012 at 9:50 am

I only was exposed to okonomiyaki not too long ago and i love it! Seriously, its so good. Bonito flakes are the best on top!!! Can’t wait for other thursday thermomix posts shellie πŸ˜€ if only i had the funds to purchase one…. lol

15. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - July 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Oh I’m so jealous would love a Thermomix but they are just sooo expensive. Are you a complete convert and is it worth it?

• Iron Chef Shellie - July 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

They are pricey, but when you think about all the things it can do for you, save you money, save you TIME, it’s totally worth it. Couldn’t live without mine!

16. Food is our religion - July 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I loveee Okonomiyaki!! but I never knew you could put tomato sauce in it.. hmm might give that a try the next time I make one!

17. Thermomix Today - July 9, 2012 at 9:27 pm

It’s great that there are Thermomix recipes all over the internet and even books that can be bought. That’s one of the first things I did before buying a Thermomix, I checked out some of the things you can make with the machine and I wasn’t disappointed.

18. Lianne - July 11, 2012 at 9:06 pm

aww that looks so good! I love Okonomiyaki!! sadly can’t afford a thermomix at the moment! but what it can do is more than just amazinggggg! (:

19. @SuperfoodAnita - July 13, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Ah okinomiyaki is on my list of things to make in my thermy. I’ve only had mine for about 3 months so I’m still christening it with heaps of new recipes. I’m going to make butter tomorrow for my husband and some superfood truffles for me. Looking forward to your thermy Thursday posts :)

20. Lisa - February 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Hi. WIll try this for sure.

Any chance you can bump the perfect cinnamon scroll to the top of your list? I a=have a three week old Thermomix and been unsuccessful in scrolls!! And desperate to get it right. Doesn’t help that I am a very basic cook to start with lol :)