Vietnamese Red Rice with Grilled Chicken
I wanted to try something different when cooking with sugo. I thought the MUTTI Sugo Semplice Chilli would be perfect to make a Vietnamese style red rice to go with some marinated chicken and quick pickles. I found the this particular sugo added the perfect amount of chilli to the dish, and cooked the rice beautifully. It doesn’t overpower the marinade of the chicken, and brings the dish together nicely.
It’s bloody delicious if I can say so myself 😂
Vietnamese Tomato Rice with Chicken & PicklesPrint Recipe
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup MUTTI Sugo Semplice Chilli
- 2 chicken marylands
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, bruised
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Coriander leaves
- Mint leaves
- Lime wedges
- Start by marinading the chicken, mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and coat the chicken. Set aside for 30 minutes at room temperature or cover and place in the fridge overnight. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
- To make the pickles, combine the rice wine vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Place over a medium heat and swirl pan until sugar has dissolved. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the carrot and cucumber into ribbons. Place in seperate bowls and pour vinegar into each bowl. Stir to coat the carrots and cucumber in the pickling liquid.
- Line a baking dish with foil. Place a wire rack over baking tray, and chicken skin side up on rack. Bake for 1 hour. Place the remaining marinade in a small pot and simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the rice, combine water, Mutti Sugo Semplice Chilli and rice in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover with lid, reduce heat to low and cook for 13 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to rest with the lid on. When the chicken is ready, use a fork to fluff the rice up.
- Drain the pickles. To serve, place rice on a plate, top with chicken, coriander leaves, mint leaves, lime wedges, pickles and extra marinade.