Coconut Quinoa Porridge with Banana & Palm Sugar
It’s still a popular ingredient, and there are so many possibilities when it comes to cooking it. I’ve usually only made savoury dishes with it, but this recipe was a lovely breakfast option with a little sweetness.
It is served at Melbourne’s Birdman Eating cafe, in Fitzroy. I must confess I’ve never actually been there, and actually have the urge to go now, but this recipe was shared in an old issue of Delicious magazine. I had the page saved for years, and finally made it last weekend. I kept leftover portions in jars to eat during the week <3
Coconut Quinoa Porridge with Banana & Palm SugarPrint Recipe
- 2 cups 500ml coconut milk
- 1 cup 200g quinoa
- 250 g dark palm sugar cut into small chunks (or use 1.25 firmly packed cups of dark brown sugar)
- 2 bananas sliced
- 1/2 cup 35g shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- Combine the coconut milk with 1 cup (250ml) water in a jug, then set aside.
- Combine the quinoa and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Add half the coconut milk mixture, or just enough to cover the grains. Bring to the boil, stirring over medium-low heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes until the grains are tender and the mixture is a porridge consistency, topping up with some of the remaining liquid if it's becoming too thick.
- Meanwhile, place the palm or brown sugar, and 1 cup (250ml) water in another saucepan over low heat. Stir to dissolve sugar, then simmer for about 30 minutes until it is thick, syrupy consistency and the mixture has reduced by half.
- To serve, pour about 1 tablespoon of syrup in the bottom of each bowl or serving glass, spoon over the porridge, then add a little more syrup. Top with sliced banana and sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve warm.
Love what you’ve done with this – such a pretty presentation! I would probably have just unceremoniously sloshed it all into a bowl, haha.
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef
I really enjoy quinoa in a salad but I’ve never tried it for breakfast. It looks terrific in your photos!
Wow, what a tasty combination of coconut and quinoa. I’m sure this porridge will not only be apt for breakfast but also as an afternoon snack. It looks addictive!!!
Now add some chia to it so it’s a super food breakfast. LOL
I have never ever cooked with quinoa. Feeling the FOMO now.
Michelle @ The Bakeanista
Your pictures are gorgeous, as always. You make everything look extra delicious!! Makes me want to go get some quinoa so I can use up the gula melaka I have sitting around my kitchen.
I’ve been so lazy lately haven’t and porridge for brunch for the longest timeeeee I really should though 🙂 It’s so much healthier than all the junk I’m having and quinoa will be healthier too!