Iron Chef Shellie Turns 5!

“Has it really been 5 years since Iron Chef Shellie was born? Wowee how the time flies! To go with tradition, of course I made a cake for the ye olde blog to celebrate.”

Recipes | January 24, 2013
Iron Chef Shellie Turns 5!

Iron Chef Shellie Turns 5!

Has it really been 5 years since Iron Chef Shellie was born?

It was an Indonesian layer cake, since I now have an oven and grill that actually work properly. I’ll post the recipe another time for you. Like most of my baking lately, it has a funny story to go with it. This one involved the smoke alarm 😛

Thank you all for your support, comments and love via all forms of social media. You have no idea how giddy it makes me feel when you tag me in saying you made such and such recipe from my blog. It’s great to know my random postings are inspiring you all out there. Please don’t stop!

I thought I’d take a look back at what you guys have been loving on the blog;

Most popular recipes are:

Pandan Chiffon Cake

Banh Mi Vietnamese Chicken Rolls

Jools’ Pregnant Pasta

Most popular post is:

Thermomix vs Thermochef

Most popular non-food related post is:

Photography Tips & Setting Up For Winter

(I’m hoping to do a photography section on the blog later this year, so stay tuned!)

Recipes I think you should definitely try if you haven’t already:

Moroccan Lamb Kofta

Singapore Chilli Prawns

Guiness Gingerbread

Pork Tacos

Lamb Rosemary & Apple Sausage Rolls

Iron Chef Shellie Turns 5!

Comments

17 comments on “Iron Chef Shellie Turns 5!
  1. GourmetGetaways - January 24, 2013 at 7:31 am

Oh I remember a lot of those recipes.. especially the amazing pandan cake! I remember thinking I had to try the Vietnamese Chicken Roll but I still haven’t made that yet! Definitely time for me to get off the computer and start making some of your suggestions

2. THanh - January 24, 2013 at 9:02 am

Nice stuff Maz. I do have to try out some of those amazing tasting recipes.

3. Jackie - January 24, 2013 at 9:10 am

Congratulations Michele!! Keep up the good work :)

4. CheezyK - January 24, 2013 at 11:20 am

5! That’s an awesome milestone.

That kofta recipe has been sitting in my Reader for months now, thanks for the reminder to give it a go!

5. Ashley - January 24, 2013 at 11:50 am

Yaay! Once again, congrats and happy blog birthday! I’m personally a big fan of your pork taco recipe, always refer to it when I’ve got a craving for it at home! :)

6. Kristy @ Southern In Law - January 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Yay! Congratulations Shellie!

Here’s to many more years of your fabulous blog!

7. Sammie - January 24, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Happy Birthday Blog! What an awesome achievement! I want to thank you for introducing me to the joys of Thermomix Hainanese chicken in the Thermomix. I can see you have lots more yummy stuff to try, it may take me another 5 years, but keep those delicious dishes coming! Absolute fabulousness!

8. Hannah - January 24, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Happy blogiversary Michele! You deserve ALL the chiffon cakes!

9. Sara @bellyrumbles - January 25, 2013 at 1:21 am

Happy 5th Bloggiversary! Thanks for the recap on some of your most popular posts. Going to check ‘get to know your camera’ now.

10. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - January 25, 2013 at 2:18 am

Congratulations again Shellie :) I can’t believe it’s actually been five years! Even though I have only been following for 2 years! You are truly an inspiring food blogger and like I’ve said to you before and it’s on my blog 😛 I started because you actually replied to my email when I asked you whether or not I should try hehe ~

I’ve seen most of the recipes but can’t believe I’ve never seen that pandan cake one, will need to try it soon :)

Seriously KEEP UP the AMAZING work and don’t change a thing 😀 xox

11. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - January 25, 2013 at 7:37 am

Happy blog bday! 5 years is a huge achievement and I love this list of best posts – will have to revisit a few and check out ones I have missed.

12. Sarah - January 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

Happy Blog birthday! Here’s to another 5 years of gorgeous photos and fantastic recipes! :)

13. Nic@diningwithastud - January 27, 2013 at 9:05 am

Its been such a pleasure reading all of those posts :) happy blogiversary!!!

14. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - January 30, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Yay! Happy birthday, lady!! You’re a pioneer and such a lovely person :) Off to check out Jool’s pregnant pasta again! Not pregnant but surely it’s worth making anyway 😉

15. Adrian (Food Rehab) - January 30, 2013 at 10:32 pm

oh maa gaad. Congrats on this milestone. Love your work…especially that gingerbread you made at afternoon tea. Mwah

16. msihua - March 2, 2013 at 6:05 pm

What a great idea for this post! So stealing it 😛 Happy Birthday blog :)

17. Ebony moo - March 14, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to post an update on the Thermochef to keep the comparison current and accurate. The model was updated last year and now has a pause button which saves every setting, one touch and you can do what ever you like to the food then one press and it back to where you left off – no speed dial to reset or anything. The butterfly bar locks in place so can’t come off unless placed incorrectly. I paid $695 for the Thermochef with an additional cook book and a SECOND jug. Also comes with 200 international recipe cards for only $40. I have many friends very happy with their thermomix but it is simply not affordable to so many people so to say “buy this one or have nothing” is a bit harsh. I admit the Thermochef is a bit less refined but so is my bank balance and this is a very good option for people to have. If you are truly wishing to make a fair comparison then please include this information and possibly post some additional meal photos, one bad risotto and set of noodles is hardly definitive. The side scales are great…a cup or bowl can be placed on there then the contents added to the thermochef jug without having to unlock it, particularly if you accidentally tip in too much..you have a second chance as it hasn’t gone into the meal yet. Also excellent for weighing out food portions ahead or lining up ingredients for a big cooking session without getting your ingredients unnecessarily poured onto the blades. I grind whole wheat daily and make big dough batches succesfully which is a pretty good test for heavy duty work. Good luck to all future purchasers of either machine, research and ask a variety of users to make up the best decision for you and your family.