Cheat’s Beef Pho
This wasn’t meant to go on the blog. The only photo I have is on my phone and it was instagrammed. But after numerous requests for the recipe, here it is!
I love phở but my favourite place to have it is a bit far away to go there on a whim. I tried an easy phở recipe back in 2009 but don’t know what I haven’t done it again.
Lately I’ve been sorting through about hmmmm…. 8 years of cooking magazines, and ripping out things I need to cook, instead of the recipes staying hidden away in a massive pile of magazines. This was actually on a Campbell’s advert for their real consummé range. The picture looked damn good, despite the fact that they had used the wrong type of noodle. I had pretty much everything in my pantry, I just needed a few things to be on my way to phở-happiness.
The broth itself was pretty good, I’ve put the recipe below but I think it’s only a great starter; you need to tweak it to suit your taste buds. I found a bit more sugar and the addition of some lemon juice helped it come to life, and become more flavoursome.
Cheat’s Vietnamese Beef PhởPrint Recipe
- 1.5L beef consummé or stock
- 2 thick, peeled slices of ginger
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 whole star anise, bashed
- 2 cinnamon sticks, bashed
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 80ml fish sauce
- 250g thick rice noodles
- 250g beef fillet, very thinly sliced
- Sliced and seeded red chillies, bean sprouts, Thai basil, Vietnamese mint, coriander and sliced spring onion to garnish
- Combine consummé or stock with 500ml water and place in a saucepan with the ginger, onion, garlic, spices, sugar and fish sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, gently for 30 minutes. Strain, discarding solids.
- Rehydrate the noodles according to packet directions. Drain and place into 4 soup bowls, top with the beef slices and pour over hot soup. Serve immediately with garnishes.
Post updated 9 July 2020.
This looks delicious! And easy to make with mainly pantry ingredients, I love that! 😀 Mmmmm.. Too bad I’m already making a curry laksa tonight! 😉
Iron Chef Shellie
ooooo I want curry laksa!!
I ALWAYS want curry laksa, haha! If I had to pick something to live off for the rest of my life, it would be laksa for sure! It has to be overloaded with tofu and chilli oil… Mmmmmmmmm 😀
How is this a cheat’s? There’s still so much to do! Well apart from the beef stock I guess.. hahaha.. that’s still way too much effort if I feel like cheating, but you rock!
This doesn’t look difficult. 🙂 Might try this!
penny aka jeroxie
Not cheating when you still need to cook and prep and stuff….
Oh I adore Pho! I think I will have to give this recipe a go.
This looks great… BUT I’m not a beef pho person.. I know, I know it’s the right way to have it. Huhuhuhuhuhuuuu Hamish loves beef pho.. raw beef pho.. it’s his favourite.
Sweets By Vicky
Cheat’s or not, a bowl of piping hot noodles is almost like receiving a herd of hugs from all around. 🙂 Now that you’ve got it in a simplified version, I ain’t complaining.
Looks beautiful and I can’t wait to try make this although a number of ingredients that I don’t just have at the back of the pantry. But then Vietnamese food is all about the freshness! Great photos
Made it. Inspired me to have a go, given I have a freezer full of asian stocks…. I didn’t even cheat! It rocked. Thanks for the idea Shellie
Iron Chef Shellie
Happy to inspire! Thanks Karen x