I’ve been wanting to make snickerdoodles for some time now since seeing them in a cookbook. Seeing Lorraine’s cinnadoodles a while back made me want to make them even more! It’s the glittery sugar coating that makes these babies look so delicious.
Whilst they look like a sugar cookie, it’s the nutmeg that gives a nice spice hit that works with the cinnamon sugar coating.
I made these to try and woo my new co-workers at my latest contract job. It’s great being around people that love food, and who love snacking as much as I do. These cookies went down exceptionally well during the day, one even commented they tasted like cinnamon doughnuts.
They are relatively easy to make as far as cookies go. A good classic cookie recipe to keep on file. You can also easily halve the recipe if you don’t want so many cookies.
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2¾ cup (410g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Beat butter, extract and sugars in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined. Transfer to large bowl.
- Stir combined sifted flour, soda and nutmeg, in batches, into the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate dough 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan-forced. Line oven trays with baking paper.
- Combine extra caster sugar and cinnamon in a small shallow bowl. Roll level tablespoons of the dough into balls; roll balls in cinnamon sugar. Place balls about 7cm apart on oven trays.
- Bake about 12 minutes. Cool on trays.
Post updated 7 July 2020.
Makes 42! My god I would be so far. Will put them on the "to bake" list 🙂
Iron Chef Shellie
Yes, I didn't notice the "makes 42" until I had done about 3 trays and was wondering, "when the hell is this going to end!?!" haha
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
YAY so glad that you liked those. They were wolfed down at this end too! lol
Iron Chef Shellie
They are soooo yum!