Calamansi Crème Brûlée

“When life Cherrie gives you lemons calamansi, you make crème brûlée.  I mentioned in a previous post that calamansi is one of my current obsessions. Whilst there are many things you can do with them, I decided it was time to make something delicious with them. I’ve been wanting to make crème brûlée spoons for ages. ...”

Calamansi Creme Brulee Spoons_FEATURE IMAGE
Calamansi Crème Brûlée

Calamansi Crème Brûlée

When life Cherrie gives you lemons calamansi, you make crème brûlée.

Juicing the calamansi can be a tedious process, but also slightly therapeutic. I suggest you put something on TV and juice, juice away! Confession: I watched the Real Housewives of Beverley Hills when juicing lots of little calamansi balls.

This recipe uses the Thermomix, which made the whole cooking process saaaaaaa easy. Along with these spoons, I also made some crème brûlées using the traditional dishes.

The calamansi flavour cuts through the creaminess of the crème brûlée, and I quite like serving them on spoons. It’s the perfect serving size, and would be great for a dinner party.  If you can’t get your hands on calamani, maybe try a different citrus fruit; lemon, limes, mandarins, etc.

*The recipe below uses ramekins. If you are doing spoons, try to make the spoons as flat as possible in a baking dish. I propped the handles of the spoons up by resting them on handles of another spoon. Place the baking dish with the spoons in the oven, then carefully fill up as high as you can with water without touching the crème brûlée.

Calamansi Crème Brûlée
Ingredients
  1. 480g cream
  2. 30g calamansi juice
  3. 120g caster sugar
  4. 6 egg yolks
  5. Extra sugar for topping
Instructions
  1. Add cream and calamansi juice to the TM bowl and cook for 4 minutes on 60 degrees on speed 2.
  2. Set aside and clean and dry the TM bowl.
  3. In the clean dry bowl add your sugar and egg yolks and with the butterfly in whip for 1 minute speed 4.
  4. Slowly add the cream mixture while still going on speed 4. I did it by pouring the cream mixture onto the lid and letting it slowly drip in (See pics)
  5. Once all cream has been mixed in let it continue to mix for 1 minute on speed 4.
  6. Pour into ramekins and place in a “Bain-marie” so place in a baking dish and pour some hot water it so that it was to come half way up the ramekins.
  7. Place into the pre-heated oven at 140 degrees.
  8. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. The consistency should be set but not firm.
  9. Allow to cool in the fridge.
  10. Sprinkle with 1/4 – 1/2 tea spoon of caster sugar and either use a cooking torch to caramelise the top or place under a hot grill to caramelise sugar.
  11. Serve immediately after top is caramelised for best effect.
Iron Chef Shellie http://ironchefshellie.com/

Calamansi Crème Brûlée

Comments

13 comments on “Calamansi Crème Brûlée
  1. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - February 26, 2014 at 11:48 pm

The calamansi juice looks so refreshing!! And love the idea of serving creme brûlée on a spoon. Guilt-free indulgence! Hehe.

2. Padaek - February 26, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Such a cute fruit and the spoon brulees look delicious. I love brulees and think the calamansis would provide a wonderful contrast – beautiful photos! :)

3. Melanie Hall - February 27, 2014 at 6:33 am

Oh you lucky thing! I adore calamansi – they are my favourite citrus but I have not tasted one for quite some time, as they are not easy to find; the combination of tart, sour and sweet flavours and the smooth texture must be very special…

4. milkteaxx - February 27, 2014 at 8:18 am

how cute is the calamansi sitting on the juicer! genius!

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - February 27, 2014 at 9:09 am

This is a winner of a dessert. I really love this but I’ve never tried a citrus one. I must give this a try this week.

6. Joanne T Ferguson - February 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm

G’day! What an unusual combination Shellie, YUM, true!
    I have never had calamansi, but your photo and recipe makes me WANT to try it and your creme brulee right NOW too!
    Cheers! Joanne

7. Gourmet Getaways - February 28, 2014 at 11:24 am

I looks so pretty and delicious… although I would have been eating a lot of spoonfuls 😉 YUM!

8. leaf (the indolent cook) - March 1, 2014 at 2:20 pm

It’s so cute to use spoons! Calamansi is such a great flavour too.

9. Ben - March 2, 2014 at 10:14 am

You’ve done it again Shellie!!

10. Winston - March 4, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Omg I love the way your brain works in the kitchen. So smart of you to make this recipe — sounds absolutely perfect! I’m waiting for Mum to get here on Thursday to start making things with the calamansi cause I can’t be bothered juicing them and am sure she wouldn’t mind hehe #lazyson

11. Sara - March 5, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Such a cute dessert canape idea.

12. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - March 14, 2014 at 12:24 am

Arghhhh so jealous :) I haven’t really had calamnsi before but i’d love to try especially this creme brûlée!!!

13. Yasmeen | Wandering Spice - March 21, 2014 at 7:09 am

Beaut. But you know that! I love the concept and the styling – so much fun for a little dinner with friends.