Vietnamese Chicken Salad

“With Summer on its way, hotter days; nobody want's to spend anytime near the stove. This chicken salad will soon be in your rotation come Summer no doubt. If you feel super lazy, just make it with a BBQ chicken you pick up on the way home.”

Vietnamese Chicken Salad_FEATURE IMAGE
Vietnamese Chicken Salad

Vietnamese Chicken Salad

With Summer on its way, hotter days; nobody want’s to spend anytime near the stove. This chicken salad will soon be in your rotation come Summer no doubt. If you feel super lazy, just make it with a BBQ chicken you pick up on the way home.

I first had this dish a few years ago at Alana’s favourite Vietnamese place. One bite and I was hooked. Cold, fresh, zingy, a little sweet.. everything you could want. I would’ve seriously eaten the whole plate if I could’ve. This recipe by Bill Granger comes pretty close to the dish at the restaurant. You can increase or decrease the amount of things depending on your taste buds, but give it a whirl soon, and thank me later 😉

Vietnamese Chicken Salad

Bill Granger – [source]

Vietnamese dressing

• 3 red Asian shallots or 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
  • 2 small red chilies, finely chopped
  • Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon caster sugar (superfine)

Chicken Salad
  • 3 (7-ounce) boneless chicken breasts
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
  • Sea salt and ground white pepper
  • 4 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage
  • 1 cup Asian basil leaves or basil leaves
  • 1 cup bean sprouts
  • 1 cup finely julienned carrot
  • 1 cup Vietnamese mint leaves

To make the Vietnamese dressing: In a small bowl, combine the sliced shallots, garlic, chilies, fresh lime juice, fish sauce, rice vinegar and sugar, and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 30 seconds.

To make the chicken salad: Preheat an oven to 220°C.  Heat a frying pan over a high heat, and while the pan is heating, brush the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken skin-side down and sear for 2 minutes, turn and sear for another minute. Put the chicken on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.

Shred the chicken into thin strips with your hands and place in a large bowl.

In a large bowl, add the shredded chicken, cabbage, basil, bean sprouts, carrots, and mint. Pour the Vietnamese dressing over the chicken mixture, and toss gently to coat. Divide the chicken salad among 4 serving plates or bowls and serve.

Vietnamese Chicken Salad

Comments

10 comments on “Vietnamese Chicken Salad
  1. Helen (Grab Your Fork) - November 27, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Love Vietnamese chicken salad! I love the way my mum’s friend makes it with a whole heap of Vietnamese herbs. Is there a reason you have the temps in F? I had to google to convert them to Celsius. lol.

• Iron Chef Shellie - November 27, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Because I was super lazy and copied and pasted a version online without even reading it 😛
      Fixed now!! thanks

I searched high and low for Viet mint. One Asian grocer told me they don’t stock it because it has such a strong taste! what the!

2. milkteaxx - November 27, 2013 at 10:58 pm

this is the perfect summer salad!

3. Tina @ bitemeshowme - November 28, 2013 at 8:18 am

Best salads ever. Thank god my parents make their own version. Sometimes they omit the chicken and use boiled chicken feet and pigs ears instead. I know sounds odd but it’s the best. More added texture!

4. Joanne T Ferguson - November 28, 2013 at 3:19 pm

G’day Love the freshness of ingredients in Vietnamese Chicken Salad, true!
    Based on your photo and recipe, it has now gotten up higher on my list to do! Thank you!
    Cheers! Joanne

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - November 28, 2013 at 10:28 pm

This is my kind of salad! I love everything about it.

6. Melissa - November 29, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Oh my! Looks amazing, and not too difficult. Will definitely be trying this one!

7. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - December 1, 2013 at 7:35 pm

YAY you blogged :) RIcky and I have mad a similar recipe before and it’s one of my favourite things to eat on a really hot summer night! so refreshing!

8. Sara - December 29, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Perfect summer dinner dish!