{Thermomix} Pulut Hitam

“The concept of having rice for dessert is enough to make my screw my face up in confusion. WHY would I want rice and more carbs for dessert? It's like, why serve potato in a rice or pasta dish? Carb on carb action. Yet, for some reason, I don't seem to think of pulut hitam as a rice dish. Yes. I'm delusional.”

Thermomix Pulut Hitam - Feature Image
{Thermomix} Pulut Hitam

{Thermomix} Pulut Hitam

WHY would I want rice and more carbs for dessert?

It’s like, why serve potato in a rice or pasta dish? Carb on carb action.

Yet, for some reason, I don’t seem to think of pulut hitam as a rice dish.

Yes. I’m delusional.

Sticky rice rice with mango also isn’t technically a rice dish for me. I think it must be Asian rice desserts aren’t carby in my eyes… who knows!

I can’t remember the first time I had pulut hitam. It was no doubt on a trip to the motherland, Malaysia. It’s also a dish I’ve enjoyed at a few restaurants down here, with the alteration of serving it with ice-cream instead of coconut milk. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it people! Coconut ice-cream if you can, if not; vanilla does the job!

If you are wondering where to buy black glutinous rice from, any good Asian grocer should stock it.

Pulut Hitam
Ingredients
  1. 200g black glutinous rice
  2. 1.3L water
  3. 2 pandan leaves, cut into 5cm pieces
  4. 50g sugar
  5. 50g dark palm sugar
Instructions
  1. Rinse rice and place into a fry pan. Stir over gentle heat until rice is dry and slightly toasted. Soak in enough water just to cover and for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  2. Place rice, water and pandan leaves into TM bowl and cook for 15 minutes at Varoma temperature on Reverse + speed 1. Remove MC and cover with basket if it bubbles up too much.
  3. Add sugar and palm sugar and cook for 40-50 minutes at 100C on Reverse + speed 1.5 (Pulut Hitam is cooked when it thickens and grains are soft).
  4. Serve hot with coconut cream drizzled on top or cold with coconut cream and ice-cream.
Adapted from Taste of Asia - Thermomix
Adapted from Taste of Asia - Thermomix
Iron Chef Shellie http://ironchefshellie.com/

{Thermomix} Pulut Hitam

Comments

21 comments on “{Thermomix} Pulut Hitam
  1. angela@mykikicake.com - August 15, 2013 at 7:59 am

Bring on rice for dessert, I love it! I would eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

2. milkteaxx - August 15, 2013 at 10:18 am

i love my carbs and carb on carbs make me happy!

3. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - August 15, 2013 at 10:42 am

My favourite!!!! With lots and lots of coconut cream. Hehe! 😛 #suchafatty I miss having all sorts of tong-shui in Malaysia. :( Should make this soon, but I guess I will have to make do with the manual way.

4. Catherine - August 15, 2013 at 10:51 am

It goes great with coconut ice cream! Damn you for making me want the Thermomix even more *shakes fists* One day…!!

5. Helen (Grab Your Fork) - August 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm

lol there’s nothing sexier than carb on carb action. Haha. Hello potato pizza and you tiao in sticky rice! This looks awesome – and so jealous you can make it so easily too.

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme - August 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I love love love black glutinous rice. I never appreciated it as I ate it all the time when I was younger, but since I realised mum makes it (she usually offloads it to friends) I’ve told her never to share them ever again! lol

7. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - August 16, 2013 at 1:47 am

That looks dreamy. I think it’s time it came out of my Thermomix and into my bowl. :)

8. Hannah - August 16, 2013 at 10:28 am

Uh… but most desserts are carbs…

I do love pulut hitam! You’re making me miss my fav Thai and Malaysian restaurants in Canberra :)

9. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - August 18, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I love having rice pudding for dessert so can certainly see how rice for dessert works!

10. Em - August 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I made rice pudding for dessert on Saturday for a friend who is allergic to practically everything. I have never been keen on rice for dessert and had actually never tried rice pudding before. J loves it though. The one I made was a cold version (so I didn’t have to cook it after dinner with everyone watching). I didn’t really like it, but it did taste better when it was warm when I first cooked it.

11. GourmetGetaways - August 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I love black rice dessert!!
    This looks so good too, I can’t wait to try your recipe :)

12. Winston - August 19, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Gosh Shellie I don’t think pulut hitam photos can get any better than that! Your piks getting more and more mouthwatering by the day LOVE EEEEET. Hey hey you know what my friend left her Thermomix by mistake it’s been sitting on my benchtop for over a week I doubt she’s coming to get it anytime soon. Think I’ll sneakily use it before she comes by to pick it up kaka

13. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - August 20, 2013 at 11:46 am

Oh oh oh I love black rice :) We have a super similar dessert in HK so so so good ~ Save me some next time you make it!

14. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - August 23, 2013 at 4:28 pm

oh, oh, oh this is like my dream!! We need to have a dinner party. Or just go the Baby Pizza with Holly. Let’s do it! SO off topic. Your dish looks ace.

15. Mel - September 14, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Hi this looks delicious- can you make without the pandanus leaves?

16. Elisabeth - December 11, 2014 at 11:42 am

HELP!
    I need to make this tonight and could only get frozen Pandan leaves, they are pre cut into approx 15cm sections, how many pieces would equal 1 pandan leaf?

17. Josephine leow - February 23, 2019 at 6:05 pm

I tried this recipe but it didn’t turn out like the one cook over the stove. The rice didn’t break and the liquid was very watery. Any clue what went wrong?