Strawberry Meringue Layer Cake

“What do you get when you combine cake, meringue and some of my favourite strawberries? A strawberry meringue layer cake, recipe by Nigella Lawson.”

Strawberry-Mergine-Layer-Cake Feature Image
Strawberry Meringue Layer Cake

Strawberry Meringue Layer Cake

Strawberry-Mergine-Layer-Cake

Things that have become a must do for me  in Summer over the past few years are to pick berries or cherries. So with two of my favourite girls in tow, Katie and Alana, we went down to Red Hill to the best strawberry farm ever. Sunny Ridge Strawberry Farm has THE sweetest strawberries, and are hands down my favourite. Katie and I went down about a month ago whilst on a trip down to The Vintage Shed. There wasn’t a huge crowd there, we could get a seat easily and move about. But when the three of us went… BAM! The place was packed with school holiday crowds. We ended up having to park on the side of the road like the majority of people.

The queue to pick strawberries moved fast though, and after an initial shitty patch of berries, we moved to the prime spot for big fat red juicy suckers.

Since I was going to see Grandma a couple of days later, I sourced out a recipe that used strawberries. This recipe come from Nigella’s Forever Summer book and I would happily make it again. It’s kinda like a pavlova with added cake. It was pretty easy to make, even though I didn’t have two tins of the same size. The bigger one is on the bottom πŸ˜‰

strawberry meringue layer cake

• 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tblspns milk
  • 50g flaked almonds
  • 375ml double cream
  • 250g strawberries

1. Preheat oven to 200C. Line, butter and flour two 22cm springform tins.|

2. Weigh out the flour, cornflour and baking powder into a bowl.

3. Cream the butter and 100g of the caster sugar in another bowl until light and fluffy. Separate the eggs and beat the yolks into the butter and sugar, saving the whites to whisk later. Gently fold in the weighed-out dry ingredients, add the vanilla, then sir in the milk to thin the batter. Divide the mixture between the two prepared springform tins.

4. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually add the remaining 200g caster sugar. Spread a layer of meringue on top of the sponge batter in each tin and sprinkle the almonds evenly over.

5. Bake for 30-35 mins, by which time the top of the almond-scattered meringues will be a dark gold.

6. Let the cakes cool in their tins, then spring them open at the last minute when you are ready to assemble the cake.

7. Whip the double cream, and hull and slice the strawberries; that’s to say, the bigger ones can be sliced lengthways and the smaller ones halved.

8. Invert one of the cakes on to a plate or cake stand so that the sponge is uppermost. Pile on the cream and stud with the strawberries, letting some of the berries subside into the whipped whiteness. Place the second cake on top, meringue upwards, and press down gently, just to secure it.

9. If you’ve got any more strawberries in the house, hull and halve them and serve them in a dish to eat alongside; it gives the cake a more after-lunch, less afternoon-tea kind of a feel, but it’s hardly obligatory.

Strawberry Meringue Layer Cake

Comments

27 comments on “Strawberry Meringue Layer Cake
  1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - March 5, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Hehe I love that bit about the cream and expanding butts! Ice got strawberries on the mind too :)

2. April - March 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Pretty cake! And those strawberries looks amazing. I haven’t been strawberry picking since I was a kid. I do my strawberry picking at Victoria Market nowadays! I like how you added the arrow for the cream after my feedback πŸ˜€

3. Danielle - March 5, 2013 at 12:54 pm

To. Die. For.
    Look at that beauty……a friend and I have a new linky hook up for foodies to show off their awesome food feats.
    It’s a monthly space for gastronomes to share what they’ve been up to, to meet new foodies and let more people see what they’re up to.
    I’d love you to throw this cake on there because it’s divine.
    You wanna?
    Check it out – Our Growing Edge. Google it, because if I link here it may spam me! Hate spam…….

4. Ira - March 5, 2013 at 2:47 pm

hahhaha check out our twin Sunny Ridge posts. πŸ˜›
    although my Sunny Ridge adventure involved much less picking, and much more lounging about eating cholocate covered berries. HAHAHHA! such yummy strawberries right?!

Cake looks rot-my-teeth sweet, ie excellent!

5. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - March 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Love the look and sound of this cake :) did you post it on Instagram I think I’ve seen it before hehe I love picking for berries too but I haven’t gone to Sunny Ridge but my friend bought me their jam and I loved it! Will have to go again soon ~ but I’m afraid summer has already ended :( Hope the strawberries are still big and sweet!

6. john | heneedsfood - March 5, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Sponge and meringue in one cake, I like the sound of that! Talk about decadence!

7. Kristy @ Southern In-Law - March 5, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Yum! This looks amazing!!

8. msihua - March 5, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Holy moly, cootie patootie amazeballs cake you made here babe! Almost as good looking as the ones I had for my wedding (not our) but my wedding cakes were awesome sauce :)

• Iron Chef Shellie - March 10, 2013 at 8:19 am

haha YOUR wedding cakes were the best, I think you should get married again so i can make black forrest and actually eat it!

9. Winnie @ Eat.Play.Shop. - March 5, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Yum!!! I agree Sunny Ridge has the best strawberries, we make our annual pilgrimage there every summer but the strawberries are always all eaten within 24 hours of a visit. Can never have too much meringue in a cake I say!

• Iron Chef Shellie - March 10, 2013 at 8:19 am

It’s hard not to eat them all straight away. I just can’t go back to supermarket strawberries, not the same!

10. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 6, 2013 at 8:41 am

So so pretty/ Yay for Red Hill strawberries :)

11. Maureen - March 6, 2013 at 10:23 am

Give me some of that butt widening stuff along with the fattening stuff and the really healthy strawberries please. This looks wonderful!

12. Agnes - March 6, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Oooh I like that plate. And text on photos – so hot right now. πŸ˜‰

13. pia - March 8, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I want to thank superb formula. I simply caused it to be also it sampled wonderful: -)
    Excellent weblog along with dessert quality recipes personally in case you are curious.
    I have a blog with cake recipes myself if you are interested. You can find it at http://recipes-for-food.com/

14. milkteaxx - March 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

this sounds amazing, i remember going down to sunny ridge a few years back and it was amazing! id love to go down there for more strawberry picking!

15. Sara @bellyrumbles - March 14, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Hahahahaha, “the stuff that makes your butt expand”. Priceless :)