Gingerbread House

I didn’t think I’d bother trying to do another gingerbread house after attempting one two years ago. My friend Katie and I said we would attempt the Zumbo Hanzel & Gretel house after seeing it on Masterchef, but after reading the recipe I was not prepared to go out and buy a whole lot of fancy pants ingredients I probably wouldn’t use again.

So we used the recipe I used last time, and modified the architectural plans to suit what we wanted. We went for the stained glass windows, which were simply crushed hard boiled lollies.

I originally wanted to do roof shackles made out of cut up wafers, but I got bored cutting wafers, so Katie came up with the brilliant idea of circle tiles with liquorice accents. It really made the house come alive with such vibrant colours! Katie’s fantastic with creative ideas!

We probably could have gone a bit more crazy with the candy, but we didn’t want to over do it. I was more impressed that it stood up given the dramas I had last time. And I can verify it’s still standing, and there are no jars inside to support it!  Come Christmas Eve for the big family feast (number 1 of 2) I think I’ll dust it all with some icing sugar.

Lollie trees and colourful garden stones

To offset the amount of gingerbread and lollies that found it’s way into our mouths, we managed a 4km walk whilst the gingerbread cooled down. We were well and truly pooped by the end of day, and probably never want to look at gingerbread or lollies ever again! T’was a great day, and thank you Katie for making it all pretty and possible! xo

This is my submission to the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop for Festive Favourites. I’ve got a few more posts on things I’ve been making, you’ve probably seen a few on instagram as of late if you follow me on there or twitter. Thanks JJ from 84th&3rd for hosting this month’s theme, can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments
34 Responses to “Gingerbread House”
  1. Ahhh! Love. I’m a new gingerbread lover, never used to be fussed with it. But I’ve always wanted to do this, how fun :)
    Heidi – Apples Under My Bed recently posted..Eataly

2. Love this!! Crushed candy windows are my fav but I never have the patience to make them :) Great pics, thanks for joining us and Merry Christmas
    JJ @ 84thand3rd recently posted..Christmas Cranberry Bars

3. Katie says:

Awwww! Was lots of fun and I’m so impressed with how well it turned out!

I don’t want to look at another lolly for a longggggg time! We will definitely be heading out for another work soon though.

xx

4. Awesome gingerbread house! Love the colourful roof, and the candy glass windows.
    leaf (the indolent cook) recently posted..green tea mochi, raspberry compote, lime yoghurt

5. Wow! Beautiful. This is stunning – a lot nicer looking than the Zumbo version that they produced on MasterChef!
    Michelle Elliott (@mschefkitchen) recently posted..Mont Blanc Meringue Nests

6. What a gorgeous gingerbread house Shellie!!!!! I love the circular roof tiles and the liquorice allsort trees!! Such a great idea.
    Jennifer (Delicieux) recently posted..Christmas Spice Cake – Festive Favourites Blog Hop

7. Mez says:

Oh my god that looks so good! Love the stained glass crushed boiled lolly windows, and the candy trees. I have NEVER attempted a gingerbread house… they looks so scary to make!!!

xox
    Mez recently posted..Kind Of Chicken Pasta Salad Thingy

8. Aww those tiles are such a cute idea Shellie! :D
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..A Kaleidoscope of Summer Ice Pops!

9. amystown says:

Looks gorgeous! Last time i tried to make a gingerbread house it was left alone with a Kelpie just long enough for her to eat a wall :(
    amystown recently posted..‘Make Your Own Adventure’ Chocolate Bark – Just in Time for Christmas!

10. It looks so amazing! I would never attempt making one though…partly because I don’t really like gingerbread, but mostly because I’m a klutz and I’d totally break the house before it looks anywhere near as good as yours :P
    Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake recently posted..Collective Espresso, Camberwell – another great brunch & coffee place!

11. 10/10 for the gingerbread house:) It’s fantastic and the idea of the windows is very clever.
    My friend had a gingerbread house at her place and we wondered why all the lollies were disappearing…the cat was eating them!
    Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg recently posted..Spekulatius – Spice biscuits

12. You’re amazing :D that is all
    Nic@diningwithastud recently posted..Santas crunchy forest cake

13. Lovely. I haven’t attempted a gingerbread house yet. Great work, well done.
    Lizzy (Good Things) recently posted..Christmas Cherry Cake and a Festive Favourites Blog Hop

14. I’ve never been game enough to make a gingerbread house, but your looks amazing. I agree that the licorice roof was a masterstroke.
    Tenille @ My Family Table recently posted..Coconut Ice Ice-Cream

15. Julie says:

Your gingerbread house looks spectacular. Amazing job!
    Julie recently posted..Yule Log

16. Wow, look at your house its amazing ……. fantastic job and photos,

17. Shellie – what an amazing house you’ve created!

Those roof tiles are so cute and I just love the stained-glass heart windows.

Beautiful!

18. What an amazing house, Shellie!

I love the cute roof tiles and the stained-glass heart windows are just darling.

Thanks so much for joining the blog hop, Shellie :D

19. This is possibly the best gingerbread house I’ve ever seen! I love the little stained glass windows. I discovered you via the festive blog hop and can’t wait to have a proper browse of your blog, it’s gorgeous :-)
    thelittleloaf recently posted..Baked Alaska Mince Pies

20. It has been years since I made a gingerbread house. You have inspired me to (maybe)make one next year. Love your windows and roof tiles, it looks fab!
    Sara (Belly Rumbles) recently posted..Mushroom & Prosciutto Canapé

21. This looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing!
    Jennifer Wickes recently posted..Gorgeous Ganache my entry into @SweetAdvBlogHop Festive Favourites Blog Hop #SABH

22. Ashley says:

Awww, how gorgeous! It’s so colourful! :) I don’t think I’ve ever tried to make a gingerbread house before, but yours is so cute! Lolly trees!!
    Ashley recently posted..Eat Drink Man Woman

23. I love the gingerbread house! Too bad you can’t move in hehehe ;)

It seems almost too pretty to eat!
    April@MyFoodTrail recently posted..Tefal Fresh Express

24. Amy says:

What a gorgeous creation! So much better than the gingerbread house I attempted a few years ago. It fell in a heap! I would make a very bad architect. :)

25. muppy says:

It is so beautiful, I’ve made three this year and found it much easier, I learnt from last years effort! I have been thinking I should try the stained glass windows, definitely will now :) i like the door too
    muppy recently posted..Flying Fish Degustation & One year of blogging!

26. Winston says:

OMG…. SO BEAUTIFUL, Michele!! The gingerbread house on their own is fantastic but even more so, your photos! really blown away by this!! =)
    Winston recently posted..OZKitchenware Christmas Giveaway!!!

27. Oh this looks so magical – what a treat for Christmas. There is a good video on Gourmet Traveller ipad app at the moment for ginger bread house making at the moment as well which I think would also be helpful for any people out there who are unsure.

28. Super cool! I think the house will have to wait for next year. Need more planning :P

Merry Christmas babe!
    penny aka jeroxie recently posted..Merry Christmas Eggnog!

29. msihua says:

Woah! You rocked the Ginger!!! Absolutely stunning looking! Well done girls!
    msihua recently posted..Vue de Monde & Lui Bar @ Rialto Towers, Melbourne CBD – Express Lunch Experience

30. OMG can’t believe i only just saw this post!! I love this gingerbread house!! It’s so pretty :) I love all the lollies you’ve used~
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..Taiwan Treasures – Ai Yu (Fig) Jelly

31. Alice says:

This gingerbread house looks awesome!!!
    I love the stained glass window details! And the colours of the licorice looks awesome!
    Alice recently posted..Barry M Lip Paint in Peachy Pink – Swatch + Review

32. Catherine says:

That is the CUTEST little house. I wish I had the patience or the skills to construct something half as creative!

Merry Christmas! :)
    Catherine recently posted..Mum’s Christmas Present Update

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] along a few dishes, including my soba noodle salad (sans chicken), Mexican corn, watermelon salad, gingerbread house, pandan chiffon cake and a [...]