Gingerbread House

“I didn’t think I’d bother trying to do another gingerbread house after attempting one two years ago. My friend Katie and I said we would attempt the Zumbo Hanzel & Gretel house after seeing it on Masterchef, but after reading the recipe I was not prepared to go out and buy a whole lot of...”

I didn’t think I’d bother trying to do another gingerbread house after attempting one two years ago. My friend Katie and I said we would attempt the Zumbo Hanzel & Gretel house after seeing it on Masterchef, but after reading the recipe I was not prepared to go out and buy a whole lot of fancy pants ingredients I probably wouldn’t use again.

So we used the recipe I used last time, and modified the architectural plans to suit what we wanted. We went for the stained glass windows, which were simply crushed hard boiled lollies.

I originally wanted to do roof shackles made out of cut up wafers, but I got bored cutting wafers, so Katie came up with the brilliant idea of circle tiles with liquorice accents. It really made the house come alive with such vibrant colours! Katie’s fantastic with creative ideas!

We probably could have gone a bit more crazy with the candy, but we didn’t want to over do it. I was more impressed that it stood up given the dramas I had last time. And I can verify it’s still standing, and there are no jars inside to support it!  Come Christmas Eve for the big family feast (number 1 of 2) I think I’ll dust it all with some icing sugar.

To offset the amount of gingerbread and lollies that found it’s way into our mouths, we managed a 4km walk whilst the gingerbread cooled down. We were well and truly pooped by the end of day, and probably never want to look at gingerbread or lollies ever again! T’was a great day, and thank you Katie for making it all pretty and possible! xo

This is my submission to the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop for Festive Favourites. I’ve got a few more posts on things I’ve been making, you’ve probably seen a few on instagram as of late if you follow me on there or twitter. Thanks JJ from 84th&3rd for hosting this month’s theme, can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Comments

34 comments on “Gingerbread House
  1. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - December 19, 2011 at 8:11 am

Ahhh! Love. I’m a new gingerbread lover, never used to be fussed with it. But I’ve always wanted to do this, how fun :)

2. JJ @ 84thand3rd - December 19, 2011 at 8:27 am

Love this!! Crushed candy windows are my fav but I never have the patience to make them :) Great pics, thanks for joining us and Merry Christmas

3. Katie - December 19, 2011 at 8:42 am

Awwww! Was lots of fun and I’m so impressed with how well it turned out!

I don’t want to look at another lolly for a longggggg time! We will definitely be heading out for another work soon though.

xx

4. leaf (the indolent cook) - December 19, 2011 at 8:50 am

Awesome gingerbread house! Love the colourful roof, and the candy glass windows.

5. Michelle Elliott (@mschefkitchen) - December 19, 2011 at 9:31 am

Wow! Beautiful. This is stunning – a lot nicer looking than the Zumbo version that they produced on MasterChef!

6. Jennifer (Delicieux) - December 19, 2011 at 9:57 am

What a gorgeous gingerbread house Shellie!!!!! I love the circular roof tiles and the liquorice allsort trees!! Such a great idea.

7. Michelle chin - December 19, 2011 at 10:42 am

this house looks so pretty!!

8. Mez - December 19, 2011 at 11:08 am

Oh my god that looks so good! Love the stained glass crushed boiled lolly windows, and the candy trees. I have NEVER attempted a gingerbread house… they looks so scary to make!!!

xox

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - December 19, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Aww those tiles are such a cute idea Shellie! 😀

10. amystown - December 19, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Looks gorgeous! Last time i tried to make a gingerbread house it was left alone with a Kelpie just long enough for her to eat a wall :(

11. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake - December 19, 2011 at 5:46 pm

It looks so amazing! I would never attempt making one though…partly because I don’t really like gingerbread, but mostly because I’m a klutz and I’d totally break the house before it looks anywhere near as good as yours 😛

12. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg - December 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm

10/10 for the gingerbread house:) It’s fantastic and the idea of the windows is very clever.
    My friend had a gingerbread house at her place and we wondered why all the lollies were disappearing…the cat was eating them!

13. Nic@diningwithastud - December 19, 2011 at 6:45 pm

You’re amazing 😀 that is all

14. Lizzy (Good Things) - December 19, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Lovely. I haven’t attempted a gingerbread house yet. Great work, well done.

15. Tenille @ My Family Table - December 19, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I’ve never been game enough to make a gingerbread house, but your looks amazing. I agree that the licorice roof was a masterstroke.

16. Julie - December 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Your gingerbread house looks spectacular. Amazing job!

17. tania@mykitchenstories - December 19, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Wow, look at your house its amazing ……. fantastic job and photos,

18. Christina @ The Hungry Australian - December 19, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Shellie – what an amazing house you’ve created!

Those roof tiles are so cute and I just love the stained-glass heart windows.

Beautiful!

19. Christina @ The Hungry Australian - December 19, 2011 at 10:06 pm

What an amazing house, Shellie!

I love the cute roof tiles and the stained-glass heart windows are just darling.

Thanks so much for joining the blog hop, Shellie 😀

20. thelittleloaf - December 19, 2011 at 11:45 pm

This is possibly the best gingerbread house I’ve ever seen! I love the little stained glass windows. I discovered you via the festive blog hop and can’t wait to have a proper browse of your blog, it’s gorgeous :-)

21. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - December 19, 2011 at 11:48 pm

It has been years since I made a gingerbread house. You have inspired me to (maybe)make one next year. Love your windows and roof tiles, it looks fab!

22. Jennifer Wickes - December 20, 2011 at 5:06 am

This looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing!

23. Ashley - December 20, 2011 at 10:23 am

Awww, how gorgeous! It’s so colourful! :) I don’t think I’ve ever tried to make a gingerbread house before, but yours is so cute! Lolly trees!!

24. April@MyFoodTrail - December 20, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I love the gingerbread house! Too bad you can’t move in hehehe 😉

It seems almost too pretty to eat!

25. Amy - December 20, 2011 at 7:37 pm

What a gorgeous creation! So much better than the gingerbread house I attempted a few years ago. It fell in a heap! I would make a very bad architect. :)

26. muppy - December 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

It is so beautiful, I’ve made three this year and found it much easier, I learnt from last years effort! I have been thinking I should try the stained glass windows, definitely will now :) i like the door too

27. Winston - December 20, 2011 at 10:41 pm

OMG…. SO BEAUTIFUL, Michele!! The gingerbread house on their own is fantastic but even more so, your photos! really blown away by this!! =)

28. Gourmet Chick - December 21, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Oh this looks so magical – what a treat for Christmas. There is a good video on Gourmet Traveller ipad app at the moment for ginger bread house making at the moment as well which I think would also be helpful for any people out there who are unsure.

29. penny aka jeroxie - December 22, 2011 at 9:08 am

Super cool! I think the house will have to wait for next year. Need more planning 😛

Merry Christmas babe!

30. msihua - December 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Woah! You rocked the Ginger!!! Absolutely stunning looking! Well done girls!

31. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - December 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm

OMG can’t believe i only just saw this post!! I love this gingerbread house!! It’s so pretty :) I love all the lollies you’ve used~

32. Alice - December 22, 2011 at 11:25 pm

This gingerbread house looks awesome!!!
    I love the stained glass window details! And the colours of the licorice looks awesome!

33. Catherine - December 23, 2011 at 9:14 am

That is the CUTEST little house. I wish I had the patience or the skills to construct something half as creative!

Merry Christmas! :)

All content on this site by Shellie Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)