Rib-Eye Steaks with Mushroom Sauce & Pea Mash

“This post is sponsored by Nuffnang. Ahhhhh rib eye! The first time my mum cooked rib eye steak I thought I was on an episode of the Flintstones! It’s not a cut I buy due to it’s size and price. But for a special occasion, I’d splash out and buy it. You could easily substitute the...”

Recipes | November 3, 2011
Rib-Eye Steaks with Mushroom Sauce & Pea Mash

Rib-Eye Steaks with Mushroom Sauce & Pea Mash

This post is sponsored by Nuffnang.

You could easily substitute the massive rib eye for a nice piece of rump, or porterhouse instead. It’s the mushroom sauce that really makes it. Having mashed peas instead of potato makes for a lighter dish, and you will not be committing any kind of carbocide. It’s relatively easy recipe to make, perfect for those lazy Sundays, when you want something delicious, but with minimum effort.

Rib-Eye Steaks with Mushroom Sauce & Pea Mash

Mushroom Sauce:
30g unsalted butter
500g button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup (125ml) Campbell’s Real Stock – liquid beef stock
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup (125ml) reduced-fat thickened cream

1. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl. Add the steaks and toss gently to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
  2. Preheat a grill plate, chargrill pan or barbecue to medium-high and cook steaks for 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking. Cover and rest while you make the mash and sauce.
  3. To make the mash, cook peas in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a bowl. Add the butter, season with salt and pepper and mash together. Cover and keep warm.
  4. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a small frypan over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the Campbell’s beef stock, parsley and cream, then season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer for 5-6 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
  5. Spoon mash onto warmed plates, top with steaks and finish with the sauce.

Rib-Eye Steaks with Mushroom Sauce & Pea Mash

Comments

11 comments on “Rib-Eye Steaks with Mushroom Sauce & Pea Mash
  1. Leah - November 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm

This looks so good! Love the pea mash *drools*

2. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan - November 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This is definitely a dish I crave when I’m famished! I would almost always choose mushroom over a blackpepper sauce. Thanks for sharing a beautiful recipe.

3. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice - November 3, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I’m not a lover of pea mash, but yours is quite convincing I must admit! This looks like a great winter warmer – or maybe great for some of these ultra rainy spring days!

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - November 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm

That looks massive and the first thing I thought of was The Flintstones! 😛

5. Winston - November 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm

YUM! Love this post. Your little mushrooms looks so cute on the plate for some reason haha… I also like how the peas are bright neon green lol. I’ve never bought ribeye before too because I find it so daunting but I think I should! Yay! =D

6. Gourmet getaways - November 4, 2011 at 5:50 am

LOL! There is nothing wrong with a good flintstones steak now and again. I love rib eye and homemade mushroom sauce, its a perfect combination.

What a great idea having mushy peas as well!

7. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 4, 2011 at 12:21 pm

How amazing do those mushy peas look! Well, everything does :) I love rump steak! Just getting into rib eye now – so much effort to cut! haha. I’m a loser.

8. Nic@diningwithastud - November 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Oh Stud will LOVE this! He is such a mushy peas kinda guy – must be a UK thing haha. Yours looks so vibrant and delicious :)

9. Bianca @ The Cooking Capers - November 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm

YUM! This is almost identical to what I’m having for dinner tonight! 😛 My token creamy mushroom sauce is so similar, just with the addition of thyme and a tad more cream 😉 haha! I’d love to try out that pea mash, the colour is gorgeous! I think Cam would be rather upset if he didn’t get his generous portion of truffled mash, though.. Maybe I’ll make the pea mash for me next time 😛 Thanks for another delicious recipe!

10. Online Foods Menus - November 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm

The mushrooms are looking savory. Excellent Dish, will be even more good with a glass of wine. Cheers !

11. Roxanne - November 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I’m doing this for dinner tonight!! Mmmmm!