Buttermilk Pancakes with Honeycomb Ice-Cream

“Long weekends are made for spring cleaning, being lazy, and cooking! In Melbourne we will be having Tuesday off for the Melbourne Cup…. a horse race. Do I care about horse racing? Hells no! I do love the day off, and to extend my long weekend I have Monday off too… woot 4 day weekend!...”

October 30, 2011

So I have a pile of my magazine rip outs assigned to this weekend. I have re-sorted the kitchen and it’s actually a workable environment again :)

Sunday morning was a pancake treat. I think I took my honeycomb a bit too far as it was more on the bitter side than the usual sweet. I couldn’t finish a serve as it was too sweet overall, and I have quite a sweet tooth! The pancakes are a bit more effort than the last batch I made, as you need to beat the eggwhites and fold them through. It is worth the extra effort, as the result was a lighter, fluffier pancake.

Buttermilk Pancakes with Honeycomb Ice-Cream

From Australian Good Food Magazine

2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
2 tablespoons caster sugar
2 cups (500ml) buttermilk
3 eggs, separated
50g unsalted butter, melted, cooled to room temperature
1/4 cup (90g) honey, to serve

Honeycomb Ice-Cream:
1/4 cup (90g) honey
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 cups vanilla ice-cream, softened

1. To make honeycomb ice-cream, lightly grease an 11cm x 21cm loaf pan. Combine honey and sugar in a small saucepan on low heat. Stir for 2 minutes, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Boil for 2 minutes, until dark golden caramel. Remove from heat and quickly stir through bicarbonate of soda. The honeycomb mixture will expand and look pale golden in colour. Pour into prepared pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour, until firm.
  2. Invert honeycomb onto a board and roughly chop. Stir honeycomb into softened ice-cream. Return to pan and freeze for 4 hours or overnight, until firm.
  3. To make pancakes, combine flour and sugar in a bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, egg yolks and butter. Add to flour mixture and whisk to combine. Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites until firm peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, fold eggwhites into batter.
  4. Heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium. Brush with a little butter and cook in 1/4 cup batches, for 2-3 minutes, until firm around edge and little bubbles appear on top. Turn and cook for another 2 minutes, until cooked through. Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with a scoop of honeycomb ice-cream and a drizzle of honey.

Comments

12 comments on “Buttermilk Pancakes with Honeycomb Ice-Cream
  1. Winston - October 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Hey I LOVE the honeycomb ice cream recipe cause it’s made with all the ingredients I have in my pantry already so I can make them anytime… YAYEEE! Thanks, Michele! Have a great week! =D

2. Esz - October 30, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Yuuuum!! I wish I could take the whole 4 days off – new job means I don’t have much leave at all. Bummerrrzz

3. Hannah - October 30, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I was going to gripe about how we don’t get the day off, but then I remembers that we Canberrans had two long weekends in a row last month 😛 Oh, how I want that honeycomb butter! With peanut butter too…

4. leaf (the indolent cook) - October 30, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Pity the honeycomb ice cream wasn’t perfect… but I do love the idea of pairing it with pancakes! So indulgent.

5. Gourmet getaways - October 31, 2011 at 5:57 am

Oh I will be making this for sure! I love honeycomb and icecream, I am sure I will be able to manage the sweetness!

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme - October 31, 2011 at 7:17 am

No wonder why I hadn’t been getting updates on iron chef shellie – the URL had changed! duhhhhhhhh on my end!

I could so have have pancakes and ice cream for breakfast right now……

7. Mez - October 31, 2011 at 10:55 am

Ahhhhhhhhhgababagabaabaaaaaa

This looks SO good!!!

The pancake batter I made last night is still in the fridge (we were full after dinner) I could do this tonight!!

Yaaaaaaaayayaayayayaaa

8. Nic@diningwithastud - October 31, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Haha so jealous of you Melbs peeps who get the day off. We’l;l be watching from the office 😉 I should totally take the day off and eat these pancakes all day haha

9. Lisa @ Blithe Moments - October 31, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Oooh, I love the idea of the whipped eggwhites! Must try this, I imagine a very light fluffy pancake as a result. I’m still trying to attain the pancake perfection that was made by a small and shortlived cafe I used to go to. Honestly they somehow made their pancakes almost crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside and insanely delicious. Luckily S is more than happy keep eating my experiments.

10. penny aka jeroxie - October 31, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Yum YUm…. I do miss pancakes.

11. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 2, 2011 at 3:18 pm

yum yum triple yum. they look so fluffy and amazing, Michele!! yay for all the pancake love lately!

12. Thanh - November 27, 2011 at 12:43 am

I’m such a sucker for pancakes. I really love buttermilk pancakes. I also love ricotta hotcakes. They are a bit more effort to make but the results are amazing.

All content on this site by Shellie Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)