Deconstructed Lasagne

“Theme 14: Hearty Cookbook Used: Delicious. More Please Author: Valli Little I bumped into a client on the street a few months ago, and she told me a friend had made her the deconstructed lasagne from Valli Little’s book for dinner, and it was absolutely amazing. We spent about 10 minutes talking about it, right...”

Deconstructed Lasagne

Theme 14: Hearty
Cookbook Used: Delicious. More Please
Author: Valli Little

I bumped into a client on the street a few months ago, and she told me a friend had made her the deconstructed lasagne from Valli Little’s book for dinner, and it was absolutely amazing. We spent about 10 minutes talking about it, right down to the type of pasta and where to buy it. Right then and there I knew I had to make it.

Finally I got around to making it, after the pasta had been sitting in my pantry for what seemed like a small eternity. I left out some ingredients: capers and olives due to two reasons; I don’t like both, I didn’t want to spend money on buying them for one recipe and having them lurking in my fridge, mocking me every time i opened the fridge door.

I LOVED the sauce. I loved the tartness of the balsamic vinegar, the refreshing element of the lemon zest, and the richness of the tomato sauce. It’s up there for one of the top bolognaise sauce recipes.

Deconstructed Lasagne

Adapted from Valli Little

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons tomato paste
500g beef mince
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaved, chopped, plus 2 tablespoons extra for the ricotta
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
500g lasagnette pasta, or papperdelle
200g fresh ricotta
grated parmesan to serve

1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minute until the onion is softened.

2. Add the chilli and lemon zest and cook for a further minute, then add the tomato paste and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.

3. Add the beef and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 3-4 minutes until browned.

4. Add the balsamic, parsley and chopped tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring ocassionally, for 30-40 minutes until thick and rich.

5. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions when sauce is nearly ready. Drain, than stir through the sauce.

6. Stir the extra parsley through the ricotta. Season, then place a dollop of ricotta in base of 4-5 bowls. Top with pasta, sprinkle with parmesan, then add another dollop of ricotta and serve.

Serves 4-5.

22 comments on “Deconstructed Lasagne
  1. Simon @ the heart of food - July 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Looks like a nice pasta dish. I presume the ricotta is in place of the bechamel?

2. Julie - July 18, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Awesome! I had this bookmarked in the book and wasn’t sure about cooking it, think I changed my mind!

3. leaf (the indolent cook) - July 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I think I might actually prefer the deconstructed version! It looks wonderful.

4. Michelle - July 19, 2011 at 7:13 am

This is so much healthier!!!

5. ray - July 19, 2011 at 8:17 am

I think I like the Lasagne in this form. It looks delicious. Thank you for sharing this post.

– Have a wonderful day –

6. betty - July 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

this looks so good- luv the idea of deconstructing it!

7. Cherrie - July 19, 2011 at 11:07 am

looks great. love the dollop of the ricotta on top. I need to get a move on with my cookbook challenge posts :/

8. Roxanne - July 19, 2011 at 11:27 am

Ooohhh yum!! Have to get that book!!

9. Nic@diningwithastud - July 19, 2011 at 12:07 pm

This looks delicious! I love the ricotta – you can either have it dabbed on each mouthfull or stir it all up. YUM!

10. Apex@blueapocalypse - July 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm

This looks great, haven’t thought of making lasagne like this before.

I’m not a fan of capers and olives either.

11. Hannah - July 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm

You had me at balsamic! And don’t tell, but I’d prefer your deconstructed lasagne to my dad’s standard spag bol anyday 😉

12. Mez - July 19, 2011 at 6:20 pm

OH YES!!!!

I will put lemon into ANYTHING what a great idea!!!

Seriously considering whipping this up this week not to have with pasta maybe on grilled eggplant…. hmmmmmmmmm using heart smart meat hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

13. Adrian (Food Rehab) - July 19, 2011 at 8:29 pm

This would be PUUURFECT for lunch. Can you pack me a box? I’ll bring over some tupperware!

14. fanny - July 20, 2011 at 10:10 pm

wow this looks sooo tempting *drool*

your plating makes it looks even more delicious actually. damn, i am gonna make this tomorrow! :p

15. Johanna GGG - July 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Sounds like this is a recipe full of great flavours – am intrigued by the pasta – would be a good excuse to head down to the Mediterranean supermarket on sydney rd to check out all the fascinating pastas

16. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - July 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm

This is bookmarked in my copy too-isn’t it a great idea? :)

17. GourmetGetaways - July 22, 2011 at 7:28 am

Oh I really need to catch up on these challenges :( I am sure your deconstructed lasagne was just the thing for this cold weather. I will be in the next challenge!

18. msihua - July 22, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Lols.. I’m not sure about the deconstructed part of this… I was expecting a bowl of tomato, a bowl of mince and deep fried lasagna sheets (since you guys love deep frying/air frying so much now!)

19. penny aka jeroxie - July 26, 2011 at 12:03 am

nom nom… deconstructed seems like a pasta dish

20. leigh - July 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Yay, I’ve got this book and am planning to make it very soon – I love lasagne!