Mango Chicken Curry

“Welcome to 2011. Hope you all had a great time bringing in the new year. I spent the day with some of my friends at the beach, until the wind picked up and it turned into a sand storm. My small camera got infected with sand and is now decommissioned . I had a nice...”

Recipes | January 1, 2011
Mango Chicken Curry

Mango Chicken Curry

Welcome to 2011. Hope you all had a great time bringing in the new year. I spent the day with some of my friends at the beach, until the wind picked up and it turned into a sand storm. My small camera got infected with sand and is now decommissioned :( . I had a nice quite night in with Hamsley, complete with gourmet pizzas, eton mess with the fresh berries I picked and a dumb movie. Sometimes I think I’m a old woman in the body of a twenty-something year old. But I’m totally okay with that, thank you very much!

Let’s start the year off with a combination of some of my favorite things; chicken and mango.

I wanted to make this the other day, but I failed to read that the chicken needs to be marinated for 3 hours! So fast forward a few days later, I left it marinate all day whilst we were out and about. Cooking it was relatively easy, and not many ingredients required. The most fiddliest bit was peeling and chopping the mango. We weren’t too sure about how the mango would go. It’s not cooked as you add it at the last moment, so it’s not hot and slushy. The chicken itself was lovely and succulent, and the sauce was fantastic, but then again, tandoori flavourings are always yum. It’s a good combo, but I can’t help but think there would be something else better paired with it. For now though, mango will do!

Mango Chicken Curry

Ross Dobson

6 chicken thigh fillets, halved
1/4 cup (75g) tandoori paste
3/4 cup (200g) natural yoghurt
2 tablespoons rice bran oil
20g butter
2 mangoes, peeled, chopped
1/2 cup coriander leaves, plus extra to serve
3 cups steamed basmati rice (from 1 cup raw) to serve

1. Place chicken in a large bowl with tandoori paste and 1/4 cup of yoghurt. Stir to coat. Cover and place in fridge for 3 hours to marinate.

2. Heat oil and butter in a large non-stick frying pan on medium. Add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden. Add 1/4 cup of remaining yoghurt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until combined. Add remaining yoghurt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until heated through. Stir through mango and coriander.

3. Top with extra coriander. Serve with rice.

*Tips: When adding the yoghurt in step 2, only cook for the recommended time – any longer and the sauce could split.

Mango Chicken Curry

Comments

22 comments on “Mango Chicken Curry
  1. Hannah - January 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Happy New Year!! I think I need to send my mum the link to this, as whenever we go to our local Indian, she always gets the Mango Chicken :) I’ll tell her to allow for three hours marinating time, though!

2. Libby - January 1, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Happy New Year!

What a lovely and simple recipe – perfect way to start off the new year. Thanks for posting, will give it a go very soon!

3. Helen (grabyourfork) - January 1, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’ve never tried making mango chicken from scratch. I will definitely know now to allocate 3 hours for marinading if I ever do! lol

4. Michelle - January 1, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Hmm, this is healthy. What I can use in place of tandoori paste? I have lots of indian herbs and spices sitting in my pantry back in melbourne!

5. Sarah - January 2, 2011 at 1:16 am

Nothing wrong with staying in on New Year’s Eve! I did a similar thing – quiet night in with a few friends, some nice champagne and some trashy DVD’s! I often feel like an old lady too, hehe.

Happy New Year!

xox Sarah

• Iron Chef Shellie - January 2, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Sometimes it’s so much better, there are no expectations to have a good time 😛

6. kristy @ ksayerphotography - January 2, 2011 at 5:23 am

Happy New Year!

Shame about your camera! :( But don’t worry – I often feel like an old lady too, haha!

7. GourmetGetaways - January 2, 2011 at 5:57 am

Oh how delicious, I have been really craving a good curry!

I have the opposite problem, I feel a little like the years went by and the 18 year old in me still hasn’t noticed :)

8. Jeanne Edwards - January 2, 2011 at 6:30 am

Love all your pic’s Shellie, and sounds Yom! I luv Mango’s…….
    This feelen….Like yr an’ Old Woman’, guess what …..I am………….lol.
    But inside I still feel ‘Young and Chirpy at Heart’? Glad you enjoyed your time just at Home, it at times be just what is needed to just chill out, being a secure haven. So sorry to hear about your lovely Camera. I am sure it will be fixable, Sand is a Shocker it gets into the most secure places and we are left wondering? How in the Heck it did?? :o(
    Hugs X

• Iron Chef Shellie - January 2, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Sand storms blowing sand constantly doesn’t help :( Ah well, not much I can do now, I shall replace it before we go away next! x

9. Leah - January 2, 2011 at 8:25 am

Happy new year Shellie! Your photo’s are always gorgeous, i would love to have your skills! We had a tandoori chicken dish the other day also. So tasty :)

• Iron Chef Shellie - January 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm

awww thanks lovely :) I have definitely improved if you look at my earlier blog posts!! x

10. msihua - January 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

Hahaha… I was reading your first twitter when you said you were going to make this and then after that when you said, Step 1 fail! Lols…. This is such a delicious looking meal!! Share some?

11. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - January 2, 2011 at 11:51 am

mmm yummy! Happy New Year! Your evening sounds great :)