Cherry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Boysenberry Picking

“Today the delightful Miss A and I went out to Silvan to pick some cherries and other berries. I had read about a cherry picking place in the latest Delicious magazine and thought it might be a fun thing to do whilst enjoying the sunshine. Then a friend on facebook posted some photos of Chappies...”

Travel | December 30, 2010
Cherry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Boysenberry Picking

Cherry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Boysenberry Picking

Today the delightful Miss A and I went out to Silvan to pick some cherries and other berries. I had read about a cherry picking place in the latest Delicious magazine and thought it might be a fun thing to do whilst enjoying the sunshine. Then a friend on facebook posted some photos of Chappies which seemed like a much closer destination for us to head to. We picked Simone cherries from trees that were 5 years old. The cherries were so plump, sweet and juicy, not like the crap you get from the supermarket. We were told to pick with the stalks on as the cherries will last for a week, rather than 2-3 days. We were also told we could eat as much as we liked, but not too many or we would end up on the toilet for 3 days, and the 3rd day would be very painful!

So anyway, here is a collection of photos from the day. It was a great day out, and I’m looking forward to going again next year!

Chappies
21-23 Parker Rd, Silvan VIC 3795
Phone: (03) 9737 9534
Website: www.upick.com.au

Cherry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Boysenberry Picking

Comments

17 comments on “Cherry, Raspberry, Blackberry & Boysenberry Picking
  1. Mez - December 30, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Gorgeous!!! Love the idea of cherry picking. I’ve only ever gone strawberry picking. This is so something H and I could do in the holidays.

2. GourmetGetaways - December 31, 2010 at 4:47 am

Ohhh! They look beautiful!

So plump and delicious, I am sure they would taste so good!

I took my kids Strawberry picking and they thought it was great. We weren’t allowed to eat any strawberries while we picked though
    :( …. but we had a few :)

3. kristy @ ksayerphotography - December 31, 2010 at 6:37 am

What a fun day out! I’d love to go fruit picking, of any sort!

4. MEAN EIRENE - December 31, 2010 at 7:14 am

Oh they’re so plump! I like how the quality of the images reflect the beauty of the fruit. Looks like heaps of fun.

5. @CooksJournal - December 31, 2010 at 8:06 am

Wow cherries & berries, didn’t know this place existed – will have to go check it out. What will you make? Can’t wait to see.. (let me taste?) :)

6. Hannah - December 31, 2010 at 11:51 am

Oh, *so* envious!! I used to love berry picking with my family at New Year’s, but then the drought hit and our favourite (and only nearby) berry farms closed down :( I wonder if there are any near Canberra these days?

7. msihua - December 31, 2010 at 12:25 pm

that’s a lottttta cheeries!! We picked so many ones on a very hot summer that they went off….!!! Be sure to take care of them :)

8. Esz - December 31, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Omg I love cherries! I must get out there. Nomnomnom!

9. Michelle - December 31, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I’ve never done any cherry picking or something like that before. I wish someone would be willing enough to drive me to such places to do such activities! I love cherries!

10. mademoiselle délicieuse - December 31, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I’ve never been berry-picking but have always wanted to. Look at the size of them!

Happy New Year, Shellie =)

11. Anna Johnston - January 1, 2011 at 9:31 am

What a nice idea going out for a day in the sun & picking your own berries, love it :) Happy New Year Shellie – hope its a fabulous one for you & yours :)

12. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - January 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Gorgeous!! What a great day out. Happy New Year, Shellie!

13. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - January 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

Oh I love cherry picking! I grew up in a cherry area. I can’t remember the last time that I actually picked them myself though. Shame on me. One of my best friends broke her leg after falling from a cherry tree when we were picking cherries as youngsters. maybe you’re not supposed to actually climb the trees :)
    and raspberries and blackberries are so delicious! one of mother nature’s best creations imo :)

14. Agnes - January 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm

OH I want to go! Gah I always forget each year until it’s too late. Pls remind me near the end of this year that I want to go cherry picking :)

• Iron Chef Shellie - January 10, 2011 at 7:39 pm

lol, I’ll try to remember then 😛 I’ll be going so no doubt you’ll hear me bang on about it!