Chicken, Mushroom & Fennel Pies

“Fennel. I had never used it, was a bit hesitant to use if after Dad would screw up his face every time he heard the word fennel (the same goes for polenta). I can’t remember if he likes licorice, but he probably doe sn’t since both licorice and fennel have an aniseed flavour. I cut...”

Recipes | September 10, 2010
Chicken, Mushroom & Fennel Pies

Chicken, Mushroom & Fennel Pies

Fennel.

sn’t since both licorice and fennel have an aniseed flavour.

I cut it in half and smelt the aniseed…. yum! Wasn’t too sure how it would taste though, so I kept going with the recipe.

Hamsley helped out and did the pastry, whilst I got chopping. I was expecting the ramekins to be covered with pastry then put in the oven like other pie recipes, but this wasn’t the case. The only thing that goes in the oven is the pastry. This is great because you can hold the ramekin whilst eating and not get third degree burns.. hurrah!

The flavours were fantastic. The fennel provided an almost refreshing flavour that you wouldn’t normally get with a chicken, mushroom and leek pie. We both really enjoyed it, and I have discovered fennel really isn’t that bad! (Don’t worry Dad, I won’t make you anything with fennel!)

The pies go great with a nice fresh salad. The recipe suggested rocket, but I find that too bitter, so we had some baby cos leaves, avocado, tomato & ranch and Italian dressing!

Chicken, Mushroom & Fennel Pies

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium leek, sliced thinly
1 small fennel bulb, sliced thinly
200g button mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup dry white wine
800g chicken, chopped coarsely (I used thigh fillets)
300ml cream
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 sheet puff pastry, cut into quarters
1 egg, beaten lightly
1 tablespoon fennel seeds

1. Preheat oven to 200ºC or 180ºC fan-forced.

2.Heat oil in large saucepan; cook garlic, leek, fennel and mushrooms, stirring, until vegetables soften.

3. Stir in wine bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 3 minutes. Add chicken and cream; bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickened slightly. Stir in mustard and parsley.

4. Meanwhile, place pastry quartes onto an oven tray, brush pastry with egg and sprinkle with seeds; bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.

5. Divide chicken mixture among small serving bowls; top each with pastry, serve with salad.

Chicken, Mushroom & Fennel Pies

Comments

20 comments on “Chicken, Mushroom & Fennel Pies
  1. Kingtoad - September 11, 2010 at 1:26 am

As a matter of fact I do like licorice!
    Keep up the good work.

The day Mum eats bananas, I shall eat fennel!

2. Gabriel Hummel - September 11, 2010 at 6:34 am

The power of ramekin will now spread like the Thundercats awesome power of Greyskull.

Great dish, Fennel is my friend

3. kristy @ ksayerphotography - September 11, 2010 at 6:48 am

I think this could be something my parents would love – most definitely my dad… hmmm this could be on the menu soon!

4. Hannah - September 11, 2010 at 10:53 am

Hurrah, I’m so glad your first entry into the world of fennel was a winner! I love it myself, and have been known to use it instead of onion as the base for stirfries, and in potato bakes with fish, and roasted, and…well, not pot pies, because Mum’s allergic to wheat and dairy. But now that I’ve moved out…

5. Anna Johnston - September 11, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Oh yesssss, nothing like fresh fennel & this recipe is a tad interesting , think I’m going to give it a spin.

6. Honey @ honeyandsoy - September 11, 2010 at 11:46 pm

I’m a fennel convert too! Never had it in my life til maybe 5 years ago? And I love it. I don’t like liquorice though, so I don’t know why I like fennel. Love the look of your pie!!

7. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - September 12, 2010 at 9:37 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed the fennel flavour! I too was a bit hesitant when first getting into fennel. I really dislike licorice, so felt the same way as you. But it really is delightful, isn’t it? It goes really well with pork.

8. delicieux - September 12, 2010 at 10:45 am

Even though I am vegetarian this pie looks delicious!

Like you, I didn’t think I’d like fennel, but I now love it. It’s delicious slow roasted and when used in risottos or soups. It’s funny how your tastebuds change with age as I am sure a few years ago I probably wouldn’t have liked fennel.

9. My Restaurants Melbourne - September 12, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I used fennel for the first time the other day, I used it in a salad. I was surprised how much I actually like it.

10. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - September 13, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Delicious! I hate licorice but can happily eat fennel, especially if there is a pastry lid involved I suspect. More things should have pastry lids. I would like a pastry hat, myself.