Week 12: The Cookbook Challenge – Eggs Benedict

“Week 12 Theme: Eggs Cookbook Used: Eating Together Author: The Australian Women’s Weekly Since it’s egg week, I had endless possibilities. I settled for one of Mum’s and Hamsley’s favorite egg dishes; eggs benedict. The thing that scared me about making eggs benedict was poaching the eggs. I have never poached eggs until making this...”

Week 12: The Cookbook Challenge – Eggs Benedict

Week 12: The Cookbook Challenge – Eggs Benedict

Week 12
Theme: Eggs
Cookbook Used: Eating Together
Author: The Australian Women’s Weekly

The thing that scared me about making eggs benedict was poaching the eggs. I have never poached eggs until making this recipe. Lorraine from Not Quite Nigella had an egg poaching 101 post just the day before, so that gave me more confidence.

I followed the recipe, and my poached eggs came out perfectly. I am still chuffed with myself!
I however, prefer my eggs scrambled.

The hollandaise sauce was beautiful and creamy.
It was a very quick and easy meal to make. I can see myself making this dish quite a bit in the future!

Eggs Benedict
Australian Women’s Weekly

Get your hands on:
8 eggs
4 english muffins
200g shaved leg ham
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives

Serve it with: Hollandaise Sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 egg yolks
125g unsalted butter, melted

1. Make hollandaise sauce: combine vinegar, juice and peppercorns in small saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half. Strain through a fine sieve into small heatproof bowl; cool 10 minutes. Whisk egg yolks into vinegar mixture. Set bowl over small saucepan of simmering water; do not allow water to touch base of bowl. Whisk mixture over heat until thickened. Remove bowl from heat; gradually whisk in melted butter in a thin steady stream, whisking constantly until sauce is thick and creamy.

2. To poach eggs, half-fill a large shallow frying pan with water; bring to the boil. Break 1 egg into a cup, then slide into pan; repeat with three more eggs. When all eggs are in pan, allow water to return to the boil. Cover pan, turn off heat; stand about 4 minutes or until a light film of egg white sets over yolks.
Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining eggs.

3. Meanwhile, split muffins in half and toast.

4. Serve muffins topped with ham, poached eggs, sauce and chives.

Week 12: The Cookbook Challenge – Eggs Benedict

Comments

34 comments on “Week 12: The Cookbook Challenge – Eggs Benedict
  1. Fiona - February 7, 2010 at 4:25 pm

think I'll need to hide for the rest of egg week!

2. Ange - February 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I love this dish & hollandaise is so decadent, mmmm

3. Lauren - February 7, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Oh this is my favourite dish to get when we get the chance to go out for breakky – looking forward to making it home now :)

4. mademoiselle délicieuse - February 7, 2010 at 5:49 pm

One of my favourite things to have for breakfast when out and yours looks wonderful! Haven't been game to try poaching eggs again after ending up with a pan of slivered eggwhites but maybe…in the distant future =p

5. Esz - February 7, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Delicious!! I love eggs benny – but rarely order it at a cafe cos I'm usually more hungry than what comes with the eggs. Hehe

6. foodwink - February 7, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Yum!!! I love all things egg, especially scrambled :) So, eggs benedict with scrambled eggs sounds like heaven to me.

7. Trissa - February 7, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Beautifully poached eggs! I am very impressed! And that hollandaise – I must say looks equally impressive. Something definitely worth waking up for!

8. penny aka jeroxie - February 7, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Oh! bad to drool before bedtime.. I love eggs.

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - February 7, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Wow great job Shellie! It looks gorgeous and just like what you'd get at a chic cafe down to the cprinkle of chives and grind of black pepper :)

10. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - February 7, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Tres professional! Beautiful job Shellie :) Love this dish but can never resist having smoked salmon instead if that's on offer.

Did you guys have those ads for "Eggs Benny Meals" at HJs last year? I think they said something like "finished with a hollandaise style sauce", haha. I guess they didn't have their crew out the back whipping up real hollandaise. Wimps.

11. Jeanne - February 8, 2010 at 10:15 am

Great work, Shellie, it turned out tops. I have never tried Eggs Benedict. But sure looks tempting? You did an awesome job of poaching your eggs, without an egg poacher pan. I have to do mine the easy way to have them looking as nice as yours. You are a wizz.
    Hugs, X :-)

12. Meg - February 8, 2010 at 11:56 am

So lovely! This is one of Jamie's favorites too, although my Hollandaise sauce is way lamer than yours. I'm super retarded at poaching eggs, but my mum found me these lovely silicone "Poach Pods" that float in the boiling water. I cheat shamelessly :)

13. Hannah - February 8, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I love the image of the scrambled eggs version! Something about the roughness of the eggs and the smoothness of the sauce overtop is so stylish.

Also, can I please have the plate you put your poached eggs on? Ta. 😀 😀

14. imasugarjunkie - February 8, 2010 at 2:59 pm

well done! I love eggs benedict and your poached eggs came out beautifully

15. Armers - February 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm

i love bennys… i make them for myself way to often… (probably why i am fat) Its good to see that you made your holly from scratch… i am not a fan of people cutting corners and using it from a jar… but good for you, its an awesome brekkie but one you can screw up big time… KUDOS!

16. Agnes - February 8, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Good work – both with poaching the eggs and making the sauce! Who needs to go out for brunch, aye?

17. Maria@TheGourmetChallenge - February 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm

oh yum, eggs benny are my fav too!! Great good on the poaching, they look perfection!

18. emma - February 9, 2010 at 3:09 pm

yum!!
    so impressed by your egg poaching abilities. they are one of my favourite foods ever and i haven't mastered it yet!
    butttt im a wuss and have never had eggs benedict!

19. muffinsareuglycupcakes - February 10, 2010 at 1:51 am

great minds think alike!
    i made eggs ben around the same time as you did!
    and i only just saw your post. heh.
    gotta love this dish! :)
    fab looking eggs ben there shellie!

20. Iron Chef Shellie - February 10, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Hi Fiona – haha! om nom nom

Hi Ange – mmmm… hollandaise :)

Hi Lauren – Yes, very easy to make at home!

Hi Mademoiselle Delicieuse – Oh no! I was afraid of that happening. Best of luck for the next time you try!

Hi Esz – haha, yeah; I've seen those cafe sized serves and I'd be left hungry too!

Hi Foodwink – It's heaven for me too!

Hi Trissa – Thank you! Definitely worth waking up for.. now to find someone to make it for me so I can sleep in 😉

Hi Penny – lol, sorry!

Hi Lorraine – Thank you! I did copy the book for those extras 😉

Hi Conor – Merci Conor! oooo smoked salmon you say.. *makes mental note*
    We did have those horrible ads!!

Hi Jeanne – Thanks! I'll have to so you how when we come up to visit!

Hi Meg – Ah! Well I'll make it for everyone when we are all together :) You can show me your poaching pods one day soon :)

Hi Hannah – So true. I've been craving another plate since finishing it! Lol, I'm afraid not… it's from Provincial though 😉

Hi I'm A Sugar Junkie – Thanks! I impressed myself with my poaching!

Hi Armers – Thanks! Yes, it's quite easy to make, I don't think I would ever need to buy it.

Hi Agnes – Why thank you! Sooo true! Much cheaper this way!

Hi Maria – Thanks! Beginners' luck!

Hi Emma – Thank you :) It was the first time I have eggs Benedict 😉

Hi Muffins Are Ugly Cupcakes – Lol! Great minds indeedy! Thanks darling :)

21. vickys - February 10, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I have new found love for eggs benedict after having a lovely version just a few weeks back. I'm now starting to obsess again as I admire your gorgeous work!

22. lostpastremembered - February 10, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I'd say they were perfect! Here NYC way, we do it with canadian bacon, which is like a ham-bacon mix… those big juicy bits of ham look amazing… next time I'll try that!

23. Fimère - February 11, 2010 at 5:47 am

je découvre ton merveilleux blog et tes sublimes recettes, je viendrai te visiter régulièrement
    à bientôt

24. Vee - A Melbourne Munchkin. - February 11, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I do the stirring-the-water-vigorously method of poaching eggs, which for some reason only seems to work with fresh water and one egg each time. Ridiculous waste of water and very time-consuming! But thanks for the hollandaise recipe, I prefer scrambled eggs too and I might just use it on mine haha

25. Von - February 11, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I've never had or made poached eggs! They look really hard to make- congratulations on making such beautiful poached eggs on our first attempt!

26. Cakelaw - February 12, 2010 at 8:14 am

I love eggs benedict – this looks absolutely wonderful!!

27. Adrian @ Food Rehab - February 12, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Noice! Ultimate breakfast right here. Actually, I'd eat this anytime!

28. Iron Chef Shellie - February 12, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Hi Vickys – Thank you! I have found a new love for them too!

Hi Lost Past Remembered – I like the sounds of the NYC way!

Hi Fimère – Merci!

Hi Vee – I have heard something about stirring but the thought of that scares me!

Hi Von – Thank you! They really weren't that hard.

Hi Cakelaw – Thanks! I love it too now!

Hi Adrian – I know! I tried to have it for dinner last night but my boyfriend's kitchen for crap utensils!

29. Ellie - February 12, 2010 at 8:30 pm

It's very tricky to make egg benedict. You had perfect poach eggs and creamy hollandaise sauce. So so so well done!!!

30. Jo - February 12, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Getting perfect egg benedicts is tough but yours look perfect. What a great dish for a lazy Sunday morning.

31. What's For Tea? - February 13, 2010 at 2:00 pm

You absolutely nailed this well done!

I just ate lunch and now I'm hungry again! :)

32. Sook - February 13, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Looks fancy and beautiful! Yum!

33. Rilsta - February 14, 2010 at 10:13 am

Wow, I'm impressed by you poaching your own eggs & making your own hollandaise! It looks just like you would get at a cafe!

34. Iron Chef Shellie - February 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Hi Ellie – Thank you! I think it was beginner's luck!

Hi Jo – Thank you, I'm looking forward to having them again.

Hi What's For Tea? – Thank you! I'm hungry too, need lunch!!

Hi Sook – lol, thank you!

Hi Rilsta – I am impressed too 😛 Thanks darling!