Living out of home means I’m trying more recipes from my ever growing cookbook collection.
I had been struck down with the plague/man flu for most of last week, and didn’t really give much thought to dinner. I knew I had chicken mince in the freezer, and I did buy it a few weeks ago for this particular recipe. So I knew it was time for “operation Asian burgers” when Hamsley requested I make them!
I served it without the ribbons of cucumber as me and cucumber don’t really get along. I think the cucumber would have been nice and refreshing, balancing out the flavours a bit more.
The sauce is quite rich, maybe it’s the simple of ingredient of peanut butter included int the sauce that makes it rather rich in flavour.
The pattie is packed full of flavour, and we still really enjoyed the burgers. These would be great at a summer BBQ with a couple of ice cold beers or ciders!
1 teaspoon peanut oil
10cm stick (20g) finely chopped fresh lemongrass
1 small red onion (100g), chopped finely
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons finely grated lime rind
140ml can coconut cream
2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
500g chicken mince
1 cup (70g) stale breadcrumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander
1 medium carrot
1 lebanese cucumber
4 hamburger buns
1. Preheat grill.
2. Heat oil in small frying pan; cook lemongrass and onion, stirring, until onion softens. Add five-spice, chilli, sauce, rind and coconut cream; bring to a boil. Boil sauce mixture, uncovered, until reduced by half; cool 5 minutes.
3. Combine half of the sauce with peanut butter in a small bowl. Combine remaining sauce with chicken, breadcrumbs, coriander and egg in a large bowl; use hands to shape chicken mixture into four patties.
4. Using a vegetable peeler; slice carrot and cucumber into thin strips.
5. Cook patties in heated lightly oiled large frying pan, uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
6. Meanwhile, halve buns horizontally; toast, cut-sides up, under preheated grill. Spread peanut better mixture on base of ban, top with cucumber and carrot ribbons and top with chicken patties.