Savoury Smoked Chicken Cheesecake

“First of all; I did not bake this. My lovely mother did. So you can all thank Iron Chef Mumma for this one. I came home to find her latest recipe book open to this recipe. I read the title, then had to re-read it out loud to confirm what I was reading was correct....”

Uncategorized | October 17, 2009
Savoury Smoked Chicken Cheesecake

Savoury Smoked Chicken Cheesecake

I came home to find her latest recipe book open to this recipe. I read the title, then had to re-read it out loud to confirm what I was reading was correct. “Smoked chicken CHEESECAKE???” I exclaimed! But cheesecake is a dessert thing… I was rather confused, yet intrigued.

It looks like a quiche, but has the creaminess of a cheesecake. When consuming my first few mouthfuls, I had to get it out my head that it would taste anything like a quiche. I mean it looked so much like a quiche, it was playing games with my mind!
Mum commented that it was too salty, and that next time she would omit the salt. The sun-dried tomatoes, leeks and smoked chicken would provide enough salt; so extra salt it really not required.

Savoury Smoked Chicken Cheesecake

200g smoked chicken breast, roughly chopped
1 cup semi sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 cup grated tasty cheese
1 tablespoon chopped oregano
salt & pepeper to taste

Green salad to serve.

1. Combine biscuit crumbs and butter and press into the base of a greased and lined 23cm springform tin. Chill.

2. Heat extra butter in a non-stick frypan and saute leeks until softened. Cool. Beat cream cheese using an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in the sour cream, then the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Stir in the leek, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, oregano and seasonings.

3. Pour mixture into prepared base and bake in a moderately slow oven 160°C for 40-45 minutes or until just set. Cool slightly in oven with door ajar before removing from pan. Serve sliced, warm or cold with a green salad.

Voila! Bon Appétit!
What are your favorite cheesecake flavours?

Savoury Smoked Chicken Cheesecake

Comments

10 comments on “Savoury Smoked Chicken Cheesecake
  1. penny aka jeroxie - October 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Interesting indeed! I would think it be more like a quiche too. I reckon it is more like a brunch than a dessert!

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - October 18, 2009 at 8:02 am

Shellie, I can totally see how this would work! 😀

3. Bluesmum - October 18, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I've never tried savoury cheesescake but I reckon this would be well worth having a crack at. Yummo!

4. Rilsta - October 18, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Wow, it look so unusual and I think I would have a hard time too wrapping my head around a savoury cheesecake! I'm interested in tasting it!

5. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - October 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm

I actually did a comical double take when I read the title of this post.

It looks so good. Can you ask your Mum if she wants an extra daughter? I'm willing to be dutiful and do the dishes.

6. Maria@TheGourmetChallenge - October 19, 2009 at 9:22 am

Intriguing, chicken cheesecake. Hmmm….I must try to make this myself. Not like a quiche you say? *scratches head*

7. Sarah - October 19, 2009 at 12:22 pm

wow – how interesting! Im totally intrigued about how this would taste! will add it to my "bake" list!

8. Ellie - October 19, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Savoury cheesecake! Wow! Interesting.

9. Iron Chef Shellie - October 20, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Hi Penny – Oh, you would definitely not have this for dessert!!

Hi Lorraine – Oh good! I'm glad someone does 😛

Hi Bluesmum – Yeah, it's something different and new =)

Hi Rilsta – Yeah, I'm still trying to comprehend it!

Hi Conor – Sounds like my reaction! I'm sure my mum would be happy to adopt you. I've always wanted a sibling! 😛

Hi Maria – haha yes, scratch your head. It made me scratch mine quite a few times!

Hi Sarah – It was certainly different!

Hi Ellie – Yes! Indeedy.