Smashed Chickpea Salad with Chorizo

“Years ago, you couldn’t pay me enough to eat chickpeas. I still feel this way about kidney beans but I’m currently smitten with chickpeas”

Chorizo Chickpea Salad_FEATURE IMAGE
Smashed Chickpea Salad with Chorizo

Smashed Chickpea Salad with Chorizo

Years ago, you couldn’t pay me enough to eat chickpeas. I still feel this way about kidney beans but I’m currently smitten with chickpeas <3

If you are after a really easy dinner with tasty results to make your mouth sing; try this recipe. The only real thing you need to do is cook the chorizo. The lemony tang mixed with the creamy tahini and the herby parsley-ness (a real word? sure, why not, it’s my blog, I’ll make up words if I want to), make it the perfect salad. I bulked my dish up with beetroot, which worked extremely well too, if I may say so myself!

Smashed Chickpea Salad With Chorizo
Ingredients
  1. 1 x 400g can chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
  2. 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
  3. 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
  4. sea salt and cracked black pepper
  5. 1/2 cup (80ml) lemon juice
  6. 2 tbs tahini
  7. 2 tbs olive oil
  8. 4 chorizo, sliced
  9. lemon wedges, to serve
Instructions
  1. Place the chickpeas in a bowl and roughly mash with a fork.
  2. Toss with the onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Place the lemon juice, tahini and oil in a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
  3. Cook the chorizo under a preheated hot grill for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden. (Cooking in a fry pan on the stove also works fine, this is what I did).
  4. Divide the chickpea salad between plates and top with the chorizo and lemon wedges to serve.
Iron Chef Shellie http://ironchefshellie.com/

Smashed Chickpea Salad with Chorizo

Comments

7 comments on “Smashed Chickpea Salad with Chorizo
  1. Hannah - February 24, 2014 at 3:20 am

Ha! Love it. That’s how I feel about white beans. THEY’RE JUST SO BORING. I would smash this though SEE WHAT I DID THERE x

2. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - February 24, 2014 at 7:08 am

Yes to all of the above. It’s been too long since I’ve had chorizo! x

3. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - February 24, 2014 at 8:44 am

Parsley-ness is a word. It will be in the dictionary in less than 12 months. This looks very good and I agree with the beetroot on top!

4. Swee San - February 24, 2014 at 1:02 pm

quick and great idea! gonna try this soon

5. GourmetGetaways - February 25, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Oh what a magic combination! I love chickpeas, and you are tight, the make such an easy meal.

6. milkteaxx - February 26, 2014 at 2:58 pm

yummo, a simple, healthy and delicious salad!

7. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - March 14, 2014 at 12:25 am

Same here!! I never use to like them but now I don’t mind them and really like them in salads too, it’s healthy and filling hehe