Hot Cross Muffins

“Hot cross muffins, a little lighter than the buns, and a great twist on the Easter tradition.”

Hot Cross Muffins

I was meant to post this last night, as the girl who is 99.99999% sugar has been asking me for the recipe since I gave her a couple of these muffins on the weekend; but all I wanted to do after coming home from a #banhmigeddon gathering was flop on the couch. So here is is Daisy, as well as @ms_jodes who was also after the recipe!

They are easier than hot cross buns, and look great on the breakfast table. They also smell amazing too. I had my friends over for breakfast last weekend, and when I brought them over to the table, there was a group “omg they smell amazing” comment spree going on.

Make them.

Do it.

What are you waiting for?

Why aren’t you making them already!?!?

Hot Cross Muffins

From Delicious Magazine

• 135g dried cranberries
  • 1 cup (150g) currants or sultanas
  • 2½cups (375g) self-raising flour
  • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup (165ml) sunflower oil
  • 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
  • 2 eggs 200g caster sugar
  • 80g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
  2. Soak dried fruit in juice enough boiling water to cover for 10 mins. Drain well, then pat dry with paper towel.
  3. Sift the flour, soda and spices into a large bowl. In a seperate bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs and sugar until combined.Gently stir in the fruit.
  4. Divide the mixture among the muffin cases, then bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned and a skwered inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  5. Cool completley on a wire rack.
  6. Stir icing sugar into a bowl. Add lemon juice and just enough hot water to make a thick, pipable icing.
  7. Use a piping bag or drizzle from a spoon to draw a cross on each muffin, then serve.

Makes 12.

Comments

17 comments on “Hot Cross Muffins
  1. leaf (the indolent cook) - March 27, 2013 at 8:34 pm

That’s some awesome Easter baking! They look particularly festive with the red casings, too.

2. Maureen - March 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I can see Daisy’s eyes roll back into her head as she eats one of these. Isn’t she the cutest thing on Earth? Love your buns :)

3. Hannah - March 28, 2013 at 3:38 am

Hurrah! No evil demon peel! Hurrah!

4. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - March 28, 2013 at 1:53 pm

HAHHAA sorry for commenting late :) I got home late and didn’t have time to read this post or make these muffins :( Tonight I am going to make them for sure! Thank you so much for blogging about them! They were SUPER delicious and lol no yeast or kneading involved yay!

Ps. I don’t think I could described myself any better still laughing “as the girl who is 99.99999% sugar” is too funny!

5. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 28, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Super cute idea!! Love a brunch catchup. Happy easter!

6. Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today - March 28, 2013 at 4:46 pm

It had to be delicious, looks so nice. I need sugar!

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - March 28, 2013 at 10:05 pm

They’re cute! I did a cupcake version last year although I like the look of your version and those gorgeous wrappers! 😀

8. msihua - March 29, 2013 at 10:41 am

They look super amazeballs… I might even be able to make this! Hohoho

9. Ashley - March 29, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Oh what a great idea! They look just adorable! :)

10. Sara @bellyrumbles - March 30, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Such a lovely twist on the ol hot cross bun, plus the use of buttermilk!

11. GourmetGetaways - March 31, 2013 at 7:38 am

Oh Wow! Now this is my style of Easter cooking, not too sweet but so cute!!!
    I loved your comment about the girl who is 99.9% sugar :) I have one of those children!!

12. Michelle - March 31, 2013 at 8:46 am

I thought you made bums… hahahahaa

13. Libby - March 31, 2013 at 5:34 pm

LOL @ Daisy’s nickname.

These look adorable and yay, another recipe that uses buttermilk!

14. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice - March 31, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Luuuurve these hot cross muffins – such a great idea. I laughed about the “girl who is made of 99.99999% sugar” – who else but Daisy? Ha :)

15. Adrian (Food Rehab) - March 31, 2013 at 7:35 pm

These were great! So glad I got to try them out yesterday – though, I think we are ALL made of 99.9% sugar after all them desserts.

16. Agnes - April 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm