Blueberry Crumble Cake

“A lovely recipe from Belinda Jeffery, using seasonal berries and a crumble topping.”

Another fortnight, another trip to my lovely Grandma’s house. Mum was in charge of bringing dinner, and I volunteered my services for dessert. I was keen to try making a linzer torte, but I was having an bit of a stressful week and wasn’t myself. So when it came time to attempt rolling out my pastry it all went to shit. I got the base good, put the jam on but coudln’t get the pastry off the silicone mat in one piece to do the lattice top. I cracked the sads, threw it in the bin, and had a little sulk. I couldn’t get a hold of Mum to see if she could do dessert, so I had a dig through recipes to find one I could be bothered attempting in my messy state.

Most recipes I had everything bar one ingredient which was frustrating. Hamsley volunteered to drive me down the shops but I didn’t want to go. I finally arrived at this recipe. I didn’t have enough blueberries in my freezer, but I had some dregs of raspberries to help make up the difference. It was an easy cake to pull together whilst being sulky as no butter softening was required! The result was a great cake, that was full of flavour. One I’ll definitely keep on file for the next time it all goes to shit :P

Blueberry Crumble Cake
Belinda Jeffery

• 150g plain flour
  • 120g wholemeal plain flour
  • 220g caster sugar
  • 2½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 300g fresh or frozen blueberries [I used a mixture of raspberries and blueberries]
  • 80ml light olive oil
  • 180ml milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
  • icing sugar and cream, to serve

Topping :

• 35g plain flour
  • 55g brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon and nutmeg
  • 70g pecans or walnuts
  • 30g cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
  1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC. Grease a 24cm springform cake pan.
  2. For the topping, place the flour, sugar, and spices into a food processor and whiz to combine. Add the nuts and butter and pulse until butter is just incorporated. Tip into a bowl and chill.
  3. Place dry ingredients in a processor and whiz for 20 seconds. transfer to a bowl.
  4. Place 1 heaped tablespoon of the mixture in a separate bowl and toss with 200g berries. Set aside.
  5. Whiz oil, milk, egg, vanilla and zest in the processor until well combined. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add milk mixture. Sire until combined, then gently fold in blueberry mixture.
  6. Spread evenly in cake pan, sprinkle the crumble over the top and press remaining 100 blueberries into the crumble.
  7. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan. Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.

Comments

17 comments on “Blueberry Crumble Cake
  1. leaf (the indolent cook) - October 2, 2012 at 12:40 am

All’s well that ends well. Yay for a good fallback recipe!

2. leaf (the indolent cook) - October 2, 2012 at 12:48 am

I swear I left a comment just now. Hmmmm. Anyway – glad to see the sulk gave way to a happy ending after all, and hurrah for a good fallback recipe!

• Iron Chef Shellie - October 2, 2012 at 9:23 am

Dunno what’s wrong with WordPress but it ended up in spam! Luckily I check my spam folder :) Hurrah indeed!

3. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - October 2, 2012 at 8:59 am

Oh no Shellie :( Sorry to hear that you’ve had a bad week ~ are you feeling better? The weather is so temperamental right now! You’ve gotta take care of yourself :) don’t worry about stuffing up the puff pastry ~ we all have bad days and you did a great job pulling through and making this yummilcious blueberry crumble cake!

I’m definitely going to try this recipe out, but I don’t have wholemeal flour? Can i just use plain flour? :D

4. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - October 2, 2012 at 9:16 am

I’m so glad you’re not perfect because I feel much more comfortable posting here :) We all have shit weeks from time to time and I’ve learned that when I feel like this, I don’t try anything that’s difficult. If I’m REALLY out of sorts, it’s the bakery at the end of the street.

The blueberry crumble looks fantastic so everyone must have been pleased.

5. Food is our religion - October 2, 2012 at 9:32 am

I can never choose between raspberry and blue berry! Glad that you used both hehe

6. Adrian (Food Rehab) - October 2, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oh gosh….all I wanna do is cut this babay up! UP!

7. Sophie - October 2, 2012 at 11:13 am

Great looking cake! Hope the messy mood has righted itself :)

8. Hannah - October 2, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Oh, love! Blueberries and lemon are such win!

9. Nic@diningwithastud - October 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I hate that when you have everything but one and the one is usually the most important. I’m glad you could make this htough – looks great!

10. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - October 2, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Don’t you hate it when everything just goes to shit, then you get the shits and well……. Then to end up with something as gorgeous as you did, well done, such a lovely result from a poopy start.

11. Catherine - October 3, 2012 at 11:02 am

Looks amazing! I’m going to try it next weekend if I get a chance!!

12. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - October 3, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I love crumble and I love cake so this could be just about my perfect dessert. Love that berries are in season now as well.

13. Thanh - October 6, 2012 at 6:51 am

Belinda Jeffery’s cakes are so simple and so good.

14. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - October 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm

This cake would fix anything, I’m sure :)

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)