Moroccan Couscous with Spiced Chicken

“I found the couscous lurking the back of my pantry and instantly felt like creating something with it. I had seen this recipe in yet another Donna Hay book, it looked so pretty, but the flavours weren’t something I’d normally cook up. With Hamsley being from the country, he wasn’t exposed to loads of different...”

Moroccan Couscous with Spiced Chicken

Moroccan Couscous with Spiced Chicken

I found the couscous lurking the back of my pantry and instantly felt like creating something with it. I had seen this recipe in yet another Donna Hay book, it looked so pretty, but the flavours weren’t something I’d normally cook up. With Hamsley being from the country, he wasn’t exposed to loads of different flavours like us city folk, so I’m always a bit hesitant when the flavours will be bold and different.

Luckily, he enjoyed this dish, and was very impressed with my plating! I left out the mint leaves for him as he isn’t a fan of lots of herbs. For me, I could take or leave the mint being in this dish. I think the smaller leaves the better. I used the Thermomix to extract the pomegrante seeds, which looked a bit like this (the halves go in at a different angle, I’ve been advised to do it in quarters not halves for next time).

I think it’s a fantastic dish, and if you can’t find za’atar spice, just get Moroccan Seasoning.

Moroccan Couscous with Spiced Chicken

Donna Hay

1 cup (200g) couscous
1½ cups (375ml) hot chicken stock
20g butter
½ cup mint leaves
½ cup flat-leaf parley leaves
¼ cup pomegranate seeds
1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
sea salt and cracked black pepper
2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, trimmed and sliced
olive oil for brushing
1 tablespoon za’atar or Moroccan Seasoning
120g marinated feta

1. Place the couscous in a bowl and pour over the boiling stock. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until the stock has absorbed.
  2. Stir through the butter. Stir through the, parsley, pomegranate, orange rind, salt and pepper.
  3. To cook the chicken, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Brush the chicken with oil and sprinkle with za’atar or Moroccan seasoning. Cook for 3 minutes each side, or until chicken is cooked through.
  4. Place couscous on serving plates and top with chicken, mint leaves and feta to serve.

Moroccan Couscous with Spiced Chicken

Comments

14 comments on “Moroccan Couscous with Spiced Chicken
  1. Cherrie - December 16, 2011 at 11:51 am

Love the looks of this. beautiful colours and I bet, damn tasty.

2. Hannah - December 16, 2011 at 12:08 pm

It really is a gorgeous dish! Fancy that with the pomegranate and the Thermomix! I’ll have to stick with the underwater trick myself :)

3. Michelle chin - December 16, 2011 at 12:39 pm

It’s interesting how the thermomix can extract promengrenate seeds! It saves so much more time!

4. Sushi Mon - December 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Couscous lurks in the back of most people’s cupboards and should be used more to this effect!

5. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - December 17, 2011 at 2:45 am

Definitely not something I’m use to making, but the it all seems to go so well :) thx for the recipe!

Hmmm really feeling the urge to test the Thermomix out hehe

6. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - December 17, 2011 at 9:50 am

damn this looks good!! I’d like this for lunch, if you please, Michele…. I’ll be waiting.
    Heidi xi

7. Mez - December 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Yay!

You just sorted out my lunch for tomorrow, too easy!

xox

8. msihua - December 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I love the added touch of mint and pomegranate seeds! Very pretty!

9. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - December 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Okay is there nothing that your Thermomix can’t do?? After getting over the shock of easy seed removal from the pomegranate, focused on the flavours of the dish and how much I actually like the combo.

10. Gourmet getaways - December 19, 2011 at 7:40 am

Oh this looks so gorgeously festive and healthy as well. YUM

I haven’t cooked with pomegrante seeds before but I love what they add visually to recipes.

11. April@MyFoodTrail - December 20, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I’ve only discovered recently the crunchy texture pomegranate seeds add to a dish. It seems to suit Moroccan flavours really well.

12. Nic@diningwithastud - December 22, 2011 at 3:05 pm

You’re right – it does look very pretty. The flavours sound fab and I love the generous feta serve!