Pandan Pavlova

“Sometimes I only function in my own bubble; so when Nic from Dining with a Stud emailed me to inform me about The Great Australian Pavlova Blog Hop, I knew I was gonna take part due to the 4939259374234 free range eggs I’ve accumulated from a family friend’s chickens. BUT WHAT TO DO!?!? I sat...”

I sat on it for days and no brilliant stroke of genius hit me, I thought I was going to miss out… but then a craving for ondeh ondeh sparked me…. Pandan Pavlova!

Unfortunately my oven, which is older than me and tres shit, always makes my pavlova sink. I cooled it properly in the oven but it resembled more of an empty swimming pool than a puffed up pav. Alas, whipped cream to the rescue!! I originally just wanted to use whipped coconut cream for the topping, but due to the crater size hole, I mixed the fatty part of the coconut cream with some normal cream to help fill the massive hole. Thanks to twitter peeps for helping answer my question if I can whip coconut cream or not!

Topped with shredded coconut for that ondeh ondeh feel, this pav needed some fruit, so it was trusty mango and some passionfruit pulp to complete the tropical feel. With some toasted coconut flakes on top, this pav was a winner. The best part was cutting it open to find it had retained it’s bright green colour.

Pandan Pavlova

4 egg whites
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon pandan essence
A few drops of green food colouring
3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
1 can coconut cream, refrigerated then fat, creamy part scooped out
Fresh mango slices, passionfruit pulp, desiccated and toasted coconut chips to decorate

1. Preheat oven to 120°/100° fan-forced. Line oven tray with baking paper, drawn a 18cm circle then flip baking paper over.
  2. Beat egg whites in a small bowl with electric mixer (or by hand if you have the power), until soft peaks form; gradually add sugar, beating until sugar dissolves. Add essence, food colouring and vinegar; beat until combined.
  3. Spread meringue into circle on baking paper, building up at the side to around 8cm height. Smooth sides and top of pavlova gently.
  4. Bake pavlova for about 1.5 hours. Turn off oven, cool pavlova in oven with door ajar.
  5. Whip coconut cream as you would normal cream (if you want a full guide to whipping coconut cream, click here)
  6. Spread whipped coconut cream ontop of completely cooled pavlova and decorate with mango slices, desiccated coconut and toasted coconut chips.

Comments

26 comments on “Pandan Pavlova
  1. Vee @ Munching (in) Melbourne - November 27, 2011 at 10:09 am

I love pandan desserts! And a pandan pavlova is just the funnest fusion ever, that green is awesome. Good to know you CAN whip coconut cream too 😉

2. penny aka jeroxie - November 27, 2011 at 11:56 am

Yummy! High five to making pandan flavoured pavs. :)

3. Jennifer (Delicieux) - November 27, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Your pavlova looks amazing Shellie!!! I love the tropical topping. And thanks for sharing that you can whip coconut cream. Who knew!

Will you be linking it up in the blog hop? The instructions are on my Black Forest Pavlova post.

4. msihua - November 27, 2011 at 2:03 pm

The colour of your pav looks amazing! So good!

5. Fiona - November 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm

What an absolute winner! I can’t wait to make this and surprise my friends with the green inside. This will be the hit of the Christmas Party Season. I too have now learned about whipping coconut cream!

6. Lau@Corridor Kitchen - November 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm

It looks absolutley beautiful, I love the way you’ve presented it, especially how you have arranged the mango slices. And I had no idea you could whip coconut milk, fantastic!

7. Lizzy (Good Things) - November 27, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I love, love, love pandan! And had not ever considered using it in a pavlova. What a wonderful idea, thanks so much for sharing.

8. Christina @ The Hungry Australian - November 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Awesome!!! I love pandan and I love how the bright green inside constrasts so nicely with the mango and coconut on top. A Beautiful pav!

9. Michelle - November 27, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I’ve never cooked with pandan before, but looks really successful! The green food colouring makes it look really cool!

10. Nic@diningwithastud - November 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I knew you would do somethin FAB :) awesome job!! Looks great and I totally want to eat it now haha. Thanks so much for joining 😀

11. Hannah - November 27, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I think I’m in love. Coming from a family that predominately needs to be dairy-free and gluten-free, meringues are a common dessert in our place. I can’t wait to track down pandan essence and try this!

12. Michelle chin - November 27, 2011 at 11:21 pm

OMG! I wish i could accumulate that much of free range eggs!

13. Tina @ bitemeshowme - November 28, 2011 at 7:18 am

It looks absolutely AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! I love anything pandan. I definitely must give this a try sometime 😀

14. Ashley - November 28, 2011 at 7:58 am

Wow, pandan pavlova sounds like an awesome idea! I absolutely love the colour, so green!!!

15. Miss Adriennely - November 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

Shellie, that looks absolutely delicious!! Can I please have a slice? 😀

16. mel @ crunchytiger - November 28, 2011 at 12:45 pm

wow…! I absolutely LOVE this idea. I love pandan (who doesn’t really…) … must try this recipe! Love the green coloured pav too – hooray for colourful pavs 😉

17. Jackie B - November 28, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Shellie, that looks amazing!! I lived in NZ for so many years and never got the hang of baking pavlova, it always sink on me.. I was too devastated to try again. And OMG a pandan one, how ninja of you!
    Clap clap clap! Love it!

18. Anna @The Littlest Anchovy - November 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I have never cooked with pandan before… this looks so wonderful. What a happy, summer pav!

19. Jackie B - November 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Clap clap clap!

20. Melissa Darr - November 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Oh Yummy! I love your twist on the classic pav recipe! YUM!

21. Katherine Martinelli - November 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Your Pavlova looks great! I’ve never used Pandan before. I have a shite oven too – it’s the worst!

22. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - November 30, 2011 at 12:07 am

Check out the gorgeous green pandan colour when you slice the pav, awesome.

23. Winston - December 1, 2011 at 4:50 pm

PANDAN pavlova?!??! HELLSSSSS YEAH! I’ll have a slice, please! I love the way you think when you’re in the kitchen! Haha…

24. Julie - December 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Shellie I love the green colour, it looks wonderful – look to try a pandan styled one soon!

All content on this site by Shellie Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)