{Eating Out} Porgie & Mr. Jones

“A long weekend in Winter, the sun was out and two of my oldest friends and I were out for lunch. We arrived at Porgie & Mr Jones at about 12:30pm. It looked packed but we decided we would try our luck and get a table. Unfortunately there were no tables available inside, so we...”

Dining | June 17, 2011
{Eating Out} Porgie & Mr. Jones

{Eating Out} Porgie & Mr. Jones

A long weekend in Winter, the sun was out and two of my oldest friends and I were out for lunch. We arrived at Porgie & Mr Jones at about 12:30pm. It looked packed but we decided we would try our luck and get a table. Unfortunately there were no tables available inside, so we were sent out the back to the courtyard to wait. We waited at a table in the shade, but before too long one in the sun freed up and we ended up staying there and basking in the sun, instead of moving inside.

The front of the cafe/restaurant is like any funky cafe, the second half is cosy like someone’s home, and the courtyard is like being in someone’s back yard. You can’t help but feel relaxed and like you are at home; a great feeling.

Skinny chai latte was freshly brewed, with evidence of tea leaves. A delicious blend, warmed me right up.

Pretty as a picture, skinny cappuccino for Miss A.

Smashed avocado with thyme buttered mushrooms, marinated feta + torn basil on wholegrain toast with poached egg $18.90

Eggplant + zucchini ‘parmagiana’, little rocket, aged balsamic, pear salad $18.90

Hopkins River Eye fillet open ‘steak sanga’, our beetroot + orange relish, caramel onions, double smoked bacon, slow roast tomato, Maffra farmhouse cheddar + a poached googie $21.90

I got the steak sanga. I’ve been craving one, especially from Coin Laundry. This did not let me down at all, and would you believe, it was my first ever poached egg! I’m not normally a egg and bacon breakie kinda girl, and if I’m having eggs I prefer them scrambled. But I did enjoy my first ever poached egg experience :) Loved it all from the sweet beetroot relish and caramelised onions, to the perfectly cooked, melt in your mouth steak. I would have gone back the next day for another one if I lived closer. True.

No complaints from Miss A and Mr D either, happy campers all around :)

Our waiter was very helpful, and the atmosphere was very cosy. I would love to go back to try a few more things on the menu… if I don’t order the steak sanga again 😉

“Our bread is organic from Noisette, our chickens lived a happy life down Gippsland way, our eggs are the best from Shelley + Allan Green, our Mushroom man, Ricard is a legend + we LOVE Tom Cooper and everything he smokes! We try to grow most of our own herbs in the back garden. Our double smoked bacon is from Echuca from free range piggies.”

Porgie and Mr Jones on Urbanspoon

{Eating Out} Porgie & Mr. Jones

Comments

15 comments on “{Eating Out} Porgie & Mr. Jones
  1. Mez - June 17, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I drive past there almost daily.
    MUST pop in one day.

You’re freakin’ kidding me that this was your first poached egg!!! You’ve been missing out gurrrrl!!!

xox

2. Hannah - June 17, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Teehee, how funny! I barely ever want eggs but when I do, only poached! Steak sanga looks brill 😛

3. Allan - June 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm

That’s atrocious first ever poached egg. Ah I haven’t been here in so so long. Too many new places to try. Lol. The sad reality of living in a city with so many options

4. Lou - June 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm

It is great! Piadinis, croissant, orange juice, coffee, scones. Steak sanga. And the dinners…to die for!

5. Scott - June 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I went to this place for a birthday dinner recently. Had a really good meal with excellent non intrusive but professional service. I would go back there again if it was closer to my place too.

6. David - June 17, 2011 at 11:01 pm

First ever poached egg Shellie! I’m shocked! I love love love poached eggs!

7. Leah - June 18, 2011 at 9:15 am

Wow the food looks amazing! And wow on your first poached egg! they are my favourite eggs to have. I have been know to have them any time of the day….;)

8. Michelle - June 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm

loving the look of the eggs!

9. Quay Po Cooks - June 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm

What a torture, all these incredibly delicious food. Can only see but cannot taste. Love all your shots. Went to read about the post on food photography and learn quite a bit from it. Thanks for sharing.

10. Briony - June 19, 2011 at 1:38 am

That looks great – although really expensive – is that about normal cafe prices for Melbourne now (trying not to have a heart attack!!)?

Briony x

11. GourmetGetaways - June 19, 2011 at 9:08 am

oooh… it all looks so delicious, the smashed avocado dish especially had me drooling.

YUM!

12. penny aka jeroxie - June 19, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Still not been yet! The steak sanga looks amazing

13. bri - July 1, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Welcome to the world of poached eggs! They’re great – I only started eating them last year too. And it took me a bit longer to come to grips with gooey yolk, but now I can’t get enough of it :)

14. Miss Melbourne - July 12, 2011 at 8:10 am

I cannot tell you how much I heart this place. Make sure you check out their dinners too :)