Nasi Goreng

“Week 36 Theme: Comfort Food Cookbook Used: Eating Together Author: Australian Women’s Weekly I was really feeling like nasi goreng this week. It’s not something I’ve had alot of. Mum would make fried rice when I lived at home, and of course it was delicious, but the picture in the cookbook for this nasi goreng...”

Nasi Goreng

Nasi Goreng

Week 36
Theme: Comfort Food
Cookbook Used: Eating Together
Author: Australian Women’s Weekly

I was really feeling like nasi goreng this week. It’s not something I’ve had alot of. Mum would make fried rice when I lived at home, and of course it was delicious, but the picture in the cookbook for this nasi goreng also looked delicious. I’ve had this book since Boxing Day and it’s taken me this long to make this recipe. I had picked up some Chinese sausage (my favorite part of mum’s fried rice) recently, so it was bound to happen!

I was going to put it in the Chinese category for the Cookbook Challenge, but it didn’t seem appropriate as nasi goreng is an Indonesian dish, so I’ve put it under comfort food. It however is not authentic! As with most AWW books, it’s not about authenticity, but the taste is  just as good in the end. And that’s all that matters sometimes!

The boy and I really loved this one. We were both looking forward to leftovers too. Plenty of prawns, and the flavours were just right. This will be a regular dish at our place… now to find a slave to peel and devein prawns for me. Now taking applications. 😉

Nasi Goreng

4 cups (600g) cold cooked white long-grain rice
2 tablespoons kecap manis
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
4 green onions, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon peanut oil, extra
4 eggs

1. Shell and devein prawns.

2. Heat half the oil in wok; stir-fry sausage, in batches, until browned.

3. Heat remaining oil in wok; stir-fry onion, capsicum, chilli, garlic, ginger and paste, until vegetables soften. Add prawns and rice; stir-fry 2 minutes, Return sausage to wok with sauces and half the green onion; stir-fry until combined.

4. Heat extra oil in large frying pan; fry eggs, one side only, until just set. Divide nasi goring among serving plates, top each with an egg; sprinkle with remaining green onion.

Nasi Goreng

Comments

35 comments on “Nasi Goreng
  1. penny aka jeroxie - October 15, 2010 at 9:08 pm

that is right… it is the flavours that count! Sorry… im looking for prawn peeler as well 😛

2. Allan - October 15, 2010 at 9:25 pm

If you find a prawn peeler and deveiner… please inform me ASAP as well =). I’d really appreciate that hehe.

3. msihua - October 15, 2010 at 9:52 pm

You know another fried rice I like? Tom Yam fried rice.. and I use the tom yam soup paste (along with a lot of other things)… thinking about that now makes me hungry…

Everyone: I have the prawn peeler and deveiner! We got it at the Food & Wine event this year, but I’m seeing it everywhere now, including General Trader and Big W (for like $7.95)

• Iron Chef Shellie - October 16, 2010 at 4:33 pm

ooo that sounds good!

My mum has that tool, nearly bought one at the good food and wine show, think I’ll have to get one now though!

4. Lauren aka Ms Baklover - October 15, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Want!! I like the idea of the fried egg on top… I always do the omelette and cut into strips, but that would be cool.

It was great to see how to use kecap manis – I have it but don’t really know what I am supposed to do with it!!

5. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - October 16, 2010 at 1:34 am

I’d like the prawn peeler and deveiner to also do the dishes please!

Sure, perhaps not authentic nasi goreng but does indeed look like a satisfyingly tasty meal, and gotta love the googy egg :)

6. GourmetGetaways - October 16, 2010 at 6:25 am

Mmm I love thos dish and your photos are absolutely delicious. I wondered to if the prawn deveiner came with someone to cook the dish for you… That is probably asking a bit much from Big W though !

7. Michelle - October 16, 2010 at 7:27 am

I use curry powder for me fried rice. :) Sambal can kill my apartment although it’s really delicious.

8. My Restaurants Melbourne - October 16, 2010 at 10:37 am

great job of this recipe shellie, and yes, i would love a prawn peeler in my housse too!!! they are so time consuming

9. Hannah - October 16, 2010 at 12:03 pm

To be perfectly honest, that looks about a million times more authentic than the fried rice my mum used to make when I was a kid! 😀 Tastier, too…

10. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - October 16, 2010 at 4:06 pm

And then you go and put an egg on top and I am SOLD! :) yummmmm. Kecap manis is gold.

11. Jeanne Edwards - October 16, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Looks ‘Yom’ Shellie,…..Prawn Peelers…..AMWAY…….Make one, but I am unsure how they work……………..Probably Great?… Better than fingers. Hugs Jeanne. x :o)

12. Libby - October 16, 2010 at 7:53 pm

As an Indonesian who isn’t big on authentic nasi goreng (shock horror!), I think I’ll probably enjoy this one more than a plate of the REAL thing. You’re right – just because it’s not authentic, doesn’t mean it isn’t any good!

13. lotsofcravings - October 17, 2010 at 8:56 am

looks like a different version of fried rice that i cook, i usually scramble the eggs into the rice and use oyster sauce, but yes, chinese sausages are a must for a good fried rice!

14. Maria@TheGourmetChallenge - October 17, 2010 at 9:34 am

Can I time share your prawn slave?? lol

Looks delicious…especially with the soft centered egg….oh I’m drooling now

15. Anna Johnston - October 17, 2010 at 11:49 am

I’m in – you’ve said my fave words: Comfort food, chinese sausage & fried rice with an egg on top :) How can I resist that Shellie

16. Celeste @ Berrytravels - October 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm

When I first saw the photos, my first thoughts were OMG LAP CHUNG!

Chinese sausages are yum. Nasi Goreng even better. Comfort at its best!

17. Barbara Bakes - October 17, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I have never heard of this dish before. It looks so easy and delicious.

18. Cherrie - October 17, 2010 at 8:37 pm

This looks soooo yummy! It also looks easy to make. Nice one Shellie

19. petite carousel - October 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm

yumm.. i have a soft spot for nasi goreng! Will have to try this for tomorrow’s dinner =))))

20. Sarah - October 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Oh this looks seriously good! Now I need to investigate where I can buy chinese sausage. The boy loves that stuff! He orders a serve every time we have chinese and pretty much hogs it!

21. thatssoron - October 20, 2010 at 9:37 am

yeah, nothing like a chinese style nasi goreng, to bring back memories

22. Agnes - November 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm

You can’t prod Hamsley into bring your prawn peeling slave? 😉

• Iron Chef Shellie - November 5, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I had to teach him out to peel them… maybe I should, he wants to eat.. he can work for it 😛