Banana & Coconut Cake

“I bought bananas with the intention of doing a granola, but I was unable to go with my original plan when my neck and back starting giving me some serious grief. It was so bad I thought I should have gone to the emergency ward, but I managed to get into see someone the next...”

Recipes | February 28, 2012
Banana & Coconut Cake

Banana & Coconut Cake

I bought bananas with the intention of doing a granola, but I was unable to go with my original plan when my neck and back starting giving me some serious grief. It was so bad I thought I should have gone to the emergency ward, but I managed to get into see someone the next morning and it helped. But before I keep going on and sounding like a 80 year old woman….. let’s get back to the bananas. They went over ripe as they do, and the only cure for over ripe bananas is cake!

I was super lazy and couldn’t be bothered lining a tin, so I used a fancy rosette silicone baking mould instead, so the icing job turned out rather ….. rustic due to the shape of the cake.

A great tasting cake, I really liked the combination of the cream cheese icing with the banana-coconuttyness of it all.

Banana & Coconut Cake

150g butter, at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 ripe medium bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup light sour cream
2 cups self-raising flour, sieved
1/2 cup desiccated coconut

Coconut Cream Cheese Icing

125g butter, at room temperature
250g cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups, icing sugar mixture, sieved
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut essence, to taste
2/3 cup shredded coconut

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line cake tin with baking paper.
  2. Beat butter and sugars with electric beaters in large bowl until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with addition. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, mashed bananas and sour cream; beat to combine. Beat flour and coconut into mixture until well combined.
  3. Pour mix into lined cake tin and bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool slightly in tin, then turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
  4. Meanwhile, whip butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and coconut essence and beat for a further few mins.
  5. When cake has cooled, cut in half horizontally. Spread one-third of icing over bottom half of cake, and top with remaining half. Icing top and sides with remaining icing and cover in shredded coconut.
  6. Store in an airtight container.

Banana & Coconut Cake

Comments

18 comments on “Banana & Coconut Cake
  1. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - February 29, 2012 at 4:15 am

Ohh no Shellie :( I hope you’re feeling better now! Did you do something to your neck and back or did you just wake up and it was hurting? Get well soon and try to keep off your feet, I find my back and neck pains get worse when I’m on my feet a lot.

This is a great cake :) What kind of silicone tin were you using? I’d love to use it too lol I hate greasing tins ~ dunno why but it simply annoys me hahaha

Gotta try this cake soon :) I’ve got an over flowing supply of bananas at home at the moment lol my mum says their cheap and just buys dozens of them!

2. kristy @ ksayerphoto - February 29, 2012 at 6:28 am

This looks really yum! I hope you’re feeling better now, Shellie!

3. Michelle chin - February 29, 2012 at 7:28 am

Coconut and cheese. Now that sounds really interesting. 😀

4. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - February 29, 2012 at 8:17 am

I am addicted to banana bread so I can only imagine how delicious this banana coconut cake would be – great recipe.

5. Mez - February 29, 2012 at 10:05 am

I don’t like banana… BUT this does look amazing and I’m sure my friends would like it and seeing as I am in a baking mood for them… I could make this!!!

xox

6. Nic@diningwithastud - February 29, 2012 at 10:08 am

I hope you’re feeling better!! This cake will def help xo YUM!

7. Tina @ bitemeshowme - February 29, 2012 at 12:16 pm

This looks so good. Cake always makes you feel better =P Take care xo

8. tania@mykitchenstories - February 29, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Thank you Shellie, I can never have enough banana cake recipes.

9. Vien @ We Dare Food - February 29, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Ouch! I do hope that you’re feeling better! The banana and coconut combo reminds me of something from Malaysia! 😀

10. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - March 2, 2012 at 12:15 am

Oh wow, nothing worse than back pain, well maybe, but wow, hope you are feeling a lot better. Cake looks yum and doesn’t cake make everything better?

11. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 3, 2012 at 11:41 am

oh dear, hope your back is ok poor thing! you’re so amazing to make this even when feeling like that. I’m sure it totally helped you get better though :)

12. Martyna @ WholesomeCook - March 4, 2012 at 8:43 am

Oh yum! This cake has everything I love! Hope your back is feeling better – nothing worst than being immobilised by back pain!

13. Cherrie - March 5, 2012 at 7:01 pm

That looks sooo good. It is now on my to bake list