Week 31 – The Cookbook Challenge: Coq Au Vin for Bastille Day

“Week 31 Theme: French Cookbook Used: The AWW Cooking School Author: Australian Women’s Weekly Ideally, I would like to try and cook something relevant for major celebratory international holiday; but it just never happens. I decided to embrace my inner French mademoiselle this year and cook up a coq au vin for Bastille Day. It...”

Week 31 – The Cookbook Challenge: Coq Au Vin for Bastille Day

Week 31 – The Cookbook Challenge: Coq Au Vin for Bastille Day

Week 31
Theme: French
Cookbook Used: The AWW Cooking School
Author: Australian Women’s Weekly

Ideally, I would like to try and cook something relevant for major celebratory international holiday; but it just never happens. I decided to embrace my inner French mademoiselle this year and cook up a coq au vin for Bastille Day. It turns out I missed the “French” theme in the cookbook challenge, so this is my late entry.

The recipe calls for 800g of spring onions. I didn’t have that much, so I topped up the rest with a red onion I had sitting in the fridge, as well as a brown onion. Luckily for me, the recipe still turned out simply formidable!
The chicken was incredibly tender and juicy, which you definitely wouldn’t get if you used breast meat. The lovely rich sauce with the bacon and mushrooms makes it a lovely comforting winter meal.

Relatively simple to make as well, and with such tasty results, this won’t be the last time I’ll be making coq au vin. Hamsley came home before a work dinner and said it smelt so good he didn’t want to have dinner out. Luckily for him…. and me, there are plenty of leftovers for us to eat today, on Bastille Day; followed by a souffl√©.

Coq Au Vin
800g spring onions
1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
6 rindless bacon rashers (390g), chopped coarsley
300g button mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, crushed
8 chicken thigh fillets (880g)
1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
2 cups (500ml) dry red wine
1 1/2 cups (375ml) chicken stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1. Trim green ends from onions, leaving about 4cm of stem attached; trim roots. Heat 1 tablespoons of the oil in large frying pan; cook onions, stirring, until browned all over. Remove onions from pan.
2. Add bacon, mushrooms and garlic to pan; cook, stirring until bacon is crisp, remove from pan.
3. Coat chicken in flour; shake off excess. Heat remaining oil in same pan. Cook chicken in batches, until browned all over; drain on absorbent paper.
4. Return chicken to pan with wine, stock, paste, bay leaves, herbs, onions and bacon mixture. Bring to the boil; reduce heat, simmer, uncovered about 35 minutes or until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened slightly.

Week 31 – The Cookbook Challenge: Coq Au Vin for Bastille Day

Comments

13 comments on “Week 31 – The Cookbook Challenge: Coq Au Vin for Bastille Day
  1. Jeanne - July 14, 2010 at 7:51 am

Looks a Hearty Dish Shellie, for these Chilly Winter days we are having at the moment. I am sure it will be enjoyed, with no left-overs.:)
    Great to see you are enjoying your New Kitchen to the max.
    Hugs, Jeanne.x :)

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - July 14, 2010 at 11:00 am

Ooh just beautiful Shellie! I love the sound of this for Bastille Day.

3. hollypop - July 14, 2010 at 1:08 pm

YUM! i'm going to make this next week.

4. Amy @ cookbookmaniac - July 14, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I have always wanted to make coq au vin. However I do not consume one of its main ingredients… alcohol. Yes I know it evaporates but it still makes me nervous using it as a main ingredient. but you have encouraged me to make a good go of it. thank you.

5. penny aka jeroxie - July 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Happy Bastille Day! I missed out on French week and many weeks as well. But I still love to make this.

6. Jo - SecondHelping - July 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Your "inner French mademoiselle" has done a great job! Tres Bon!

My Mum loves this dish and taught me how to make it – I always thought she was very wordly.

7. Esz - July 18, 2010 at 9:48 am

I made coq au vin just the other day using the recipe from the Taste Le Tour section on the SBS website (worth a squizz for some yummo French recipes!).
    Very delicious and I'll def be making it again too. So yum! And the best with lots of mash.
    Oh and I used shallots instead of spring onions or whatever.

8. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - July 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I love coq au vin! Nice dish for Bastille Day.

9. chitchatchomp@yahoo.com.au - July 18, 2010 at 6:32 pm

This looks so yummy Shellie. I love coq au vin! Happy belated Bastille Day.

10. Anonymous - July 18, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Thanks!
    I just made this tonight following your recipe.
    It was delish! The liquid was so delicious I was drinking it like a tea until the chicken was cooked.
    Yummo.
    Tania

11. Conor @ Hold the Beef - July 31, 2010 at 12:36 am

Oui oui, formidable!!

12. Iron Chef Shellie - August 9, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Hi Jeanne – It was amazing!

Hi Lorraine – Thanks =D Nothing like French food on French day!

Hi Hollypop – Hope it turned out well!

Hi Amy – Oh I hope it goes well. I'm not really a drinker, but I think the flavour in this dish is vital.. and it's all cooked out =)

Hi Penny – I need to cook more French food!

Hi Jo – oh merci! Nothing like learning a classic dish from your mother =)

Hi Esz – I think as long as there is some kind of oniony goodness, it's bound to be delicious!

Hi Ellie – I now love it too!

Hi ChitChatChomp – Thanks! It certainly was =)

Hi Tania – Oh I'm so glad it was a success! I agree, the sauce is amazing!

Hi Conor – Merci!