Chicken Soba Noodles

“This simple recipe packs a flavoursome punch. Great for Summer with an ice cold beer out on the warm deck... if you have one! If not, don't worry, it's still a great dish!”

Chicken Soba_Feature Image
Chicken Soba Noodles

Chicken Soba Noodles

As I mentioned in my current obsessions, soba is one of things I can quite get enough of. Cold soba noodle salads are a must in the heat of Summer.

I made this simple recipe using a book I bought many years ago but never cooked a thing out of (I’m sure most of you have some books you haven’t cooked from either!). This is the first time I’ve used lime juice in the dressing for this salad, but it was fan-freaking-tastic :)

Great for dinner or packed for lunch. Something about sesame oil makes the whole dish come alive.

Chicken Soba Noodles
  5. 2 tsp sesame oil
  6. 1 tbs lime juice
  7. 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
To Serve
  1. 1 tbs roasted sesame seeds
Instructions
  1. Put 2 litres water into a large saucepan, add the salt and bring to the boil. Add the soba noodles and cook for 4-5 minutes, uncovered, or follow the packet instructions. Drain, refresh under cold water, then drain well again. Cover and refrigerate.
  2. Put the stock, wine, ginger and onion in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, then add the chicken and simmer for 6 minutes. Turn off the head and cover with a lid, allowing the chicken to cool in the stock - it will continue to cook during this time. Remove the chicken from the stock. Use your hands or a fork to shred the meat. Discard the stock.
  3. Combine all the dressing ingredients and mix well. Combine the chicken and noodles in a bowl, add sufficient dressing to moisten and gently mix. To serve, pile the noodle mixture into a large bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with any remaining dressing.
Iron Chef Shellie http://ironchefshellie.com/

Chicken Soba Noodles

Comments

9 comments on “Chicken Soba Noodles
  1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - February 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I love soba too! I feel like I’m discovering grains and carbs again lately. This looks like a totally winning dish! 😀

2. Helen (Grab Your Fork) - February 16, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Soba noodle salads are so perfect for summer! This looks so easy but so tasty too!

3. chocolatesuze - February 16, 2014 at 11:25 pm

awesome i’ve been craving soba all week, yours looks great!

4. Neeno - Sew Me Love - February 17, 2014 at 8:33 am

Mmmmm. I have soba noodles at home, I made a stirfry with it last night, was average. Gotta give this salad a go!!
    1 tablespoon of ‘mirin 😛

5. msihua - February 17, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Mmmm need to refresh my pantry with soba so that I can make this!

6. leaf (the indolent cook) - February 17, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I’m big on soba noodle salads for summer too! So quick and easy, and so cooling!

7. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - February 24, 2014 at 8:31 am

Yes yes yes, so dang good. Your dressing sounds amazing, thanks for this! x

8. Yasmeen | Wandering Spice - May 23, 2014 at 8:00 am

Hey girlfriend, I’m making these for work lunch next week! Bookmarking again now so I can hit the shops on Sunday. I’ll IG it for you :) xx