Sizzling Beef Steak, Hoi Sin Prawn & Noodle Bowls

“This dish from Jamie's 15 minute meals IS as good as it looks. As goes with most of Jamie's 15 minute meals, it takes more like 30 minutes, but if you make this every week, I'm sure you could have it down in 15 minutes no problems. It looks great at tastes fantastic!”

Seared Asian Beef Noodle Salad
Sizzling Beef Steak, Hoi Sin Prawn & Noodle Bowls

Sizzling Beef Steak, Hoi Sin Prawn & Noodle Bowls

I feel like I’m constantly apologising for the lack of blogging! Since starting my new job, I don’t have time to sit around and do nothing, and lately I’ve been working over time, and rushing off to events to sip French Champagne and schmooze. So don’t feel all that sorry for me 😛

I’m sure I’ll find a happy balance one of these days, but I’m sure looking forward to the long weekend we have coming up in Melbourne this weekend, even if I’m basically booked out for most of it already!

Anyway, for meals in a hurry, this dish from Jamie’s 15 minute meals IS as good as it looks. As goes with most of Jamie’s 15 minute meals, it takes more like 30 minutes, but if you make this every week, I’m sure you could have it down in 15 minutes no problems.

There is a great flavour thanks to the five-spice mix, the tang from the lime, and the juiciness of the prawns and steak. It would be great all year around, on the coldest of Wintery days or in the hot Summery days most of us long for.

Sizzling Beef Steak, Hoi Sin Prawn & Noodle Bowls

• 1 punnet of cress

Beef

• 2 x 200g sirloin steaks, fat removed
  • 1 tbsp Chinese five-spice
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 250g oyster mushrooms
  1. Toast the peanuts and sesame seeds in the dry wok, tossing often until golden, then tip into a small bowl and put aside, leaving the wok on the heat.
  2. Rub the steaks all over with salt, pepper and the five-spice, then put into the frying pan with half the sesame oil.
  3. Turn the steaks every minute until cooked to your liking, adding the mushrooms after a couple of minutes and removing the steaks to a board when done.
  4. Finely chop the chilli, peeled ginger, trimmed spring onions and half the coriander in the processor.
  5. Half-fill the pan with boiling salted water and add the noodles, then put the lid on.
  6. Put the remaining sesame oil into the wok, add the chopped veg and squash in the unpeeled garlic through a garlic crusher.
  7. Toss for a minute, add the prawns and beansprouts, toss for another minute, then add the hoi sin and soy sauces, the juice of 1 lime and the rest of the coriander leaves.
  8. Use tongs to drain and transfer the noodles straight into the wok and toss in, loosening with a splash of cooking water if needed.
  9. Season to taste and divide between 4 bowls.
  10. Trim the lettuce, break the leaves apart and poke a couple of leaves into each bowl with a halved radish. Snip over the cress and sprinkle with the toasted nuts and seeds.
  11. Cut the steaks into 1cm slices and serve with the crispy mushrooms and lime wedges.

Sizzling Beef Steak, Hoi Sin Prawn & Noodle Bowls

Comments

16 comments on “Sizzling Beef Steak, Hoi Sin Prawn & Noodle Bowls
  1. milkteaxx - October 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

this warm weather makes noodle bowls the perfect dinner! yummo!

2. Martyna @ Wholesome Cook - October 29, 2013 at 9:21 am

Yum Shellie! All my favourite things in one bowl, gotta love Jamie and forgive him for overestimating most people’s time management skills in the kitchen! Haha! Hope work slows down for you a little soon.

3. Tina @ bitemeshowme - October 29, 2013 at 12:07 pm

you have such a good eye for food styling. maybe you need to run a class and teach some others like myself 😉

4. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - October 29, 2013 at 2:44 pm

That looks like it would be fantastic even if it took 45 minutes :) I know you’re busy and I hope you’re happy with the new job and all the things you’re booked for this weekend.

5. leaf (the indolent cook) - October 29, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Heh, there’s no way I can get that on the table in 15 minutes… but it sure does look good!

6. GourmetGetaways - October 31, 2013 at 8:42 am

Yum!
    This looks so healthy and delicious… I would love o be eating some for dinner tonight :)

7. Helen (Grab Your Fork) - October 31, 2013 at 12:44 pm

This looks like the perfect post-work meal! Halved radishes look so pretty, and I adore coriander and lime with any Asian salad!

8. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - October 31, 2013 at 4:27 pm

So much going on here (just like in your life!) & I love it!! YUM.

9. msihua (@msihua) - November 4, 2013 at 10:23 am

I feel that way too.. apologising for not commenting and responding as much.. work has just ramped up and I’m going all sorts of crazies

10. Winston - November 4, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Okay done! Have bookmarked this so I can make this for myself on a weeknight. Stocking up with recipes to get me back into the swing of cooking once Mum leaves, because it always takes me a while to get used to cooking again after parents leave! Sis gave me Jamie O’s 15 minute meals cookbook recently as well. Have yet to go through it. Let me know which other ones work for you!

11. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice - November 7, 2013 at 8:47 am

I know how you feel! I am apologizing too because life is too busy.

Anyway, this recipe looks fabulous – it’s just the kind of thing I want to eat but don’t really know how to whip up off the cuff. Bookmarking this (actually sending it to Jase right away) so we can make it this weekend!!

12. Karl - November 8, 2013 at 12:05 am

such a delicious, fresh looking dish. That looks spectacular!

13. Paula - November 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm

This looks fanastic – I have that cook book, and have not made one thing from it!!!

14. Sam - November 28, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Did you mean to omit the hoi sin sauce in the ingredients list? In my book it’s 4 tbsp of hoi sin and 2 tbsp low-salt soy.
    I’d never heard of hoi sin before I got this book! :)

15. plasterer bristol - September 25, 2015 at 12:56 am

This is a lovely recipe, top marks. Thanks for sharing.

Simon