‘A Touch of…’ at Bursaria

“What better way to end my birthday weekend than with a gorgeous high tea at Bursaria, at Abbotsford Convent.”

What better way to end my birthday weekend than with a gorgeous high tea at Bursaria, at Abbotsford Convent.

Having never been to Abbotsford Convent or the Collingwood Children’s Farm, I was blow away at how gorgeous it was behind the fence. With a bustling market place, perfect weather, it just seems like a world all its own. We wondered around a little trying to find where we were meant to be, we turned the corner prematurely and ended up in a cute little court yard with a ye olde tennis court. It’s a magical place to explore, but I had to resist the market and exploring and head off to high tea.

We were greeted by Flossy… thank god I decided to get changed before I went, wouldn’t it have been awkward if we were wearing the same thing? 😉

She was amazing, she worked the crowds, serving drinks, food and just being all around fabulous. It just added to the whimsicalness of it all. We all sipped champagne and lemonade whilst we waited to go in. When we were finally let in, it was just the most beautiful high tea I’ve ever been to!

Large tables with hessian, colourful flowers, boards of endless sweet treats, and a DJ pumping out some real funky tunes. Whilst you get a complimentary champagne on arrival, if you wish to purchase another glass, or wine or beer, they are available at the bar. Each table did have a pitcher of lemonade and bottomless tea and coffee refills.

Savoury food provided a good selection, with my favourite being the salmon blinis, followed closely by the chorizo sausage roll. Who doesn’t love a good sausage roll?

From left to right:

Honey-cured salmon with remoulade on dill blinis

Poached chicken, almonds, celery teenie tiny sandwiches

Skewers of herb and citrus prawns wrapped in noodles, with lemon aioli

Cream of mushroom soup with truffle oil and red pepper tapenade

Chorizo, spinach and ricotta pastry roll, with tomato relish

King Island blue cheese and pear chutney served on fig and walnut bread

Sweets didn’t only look good, they tasted good too. We all agreed that the chocolate was the best. The disappointing one was the lemon meringue tart. The meringue was a rock hard meringue, instead of a squishy one you can just suck the top off. Whilst it was the least impressive, it didn’t matter, we had plenty to choose from, and they came around with extra everything, so none of us went home hungry at all.

From left to right:

Crème brulee, lightly scented with lavender

Mini lemon meringue pies

Scones with raspberry jam and double cream

Organic chocolate pots, salted caramel toffee, clotted cream

Rosewater meringue, seasonal berries, marscarpone cream

Vanilla, rose and pistachio panna cotta, pomegranate syrup

This high tea would be a great idea for Mother’s Day if you are looking for something to get your Mum.

Further dates, prices and all information are available by visiting http://bursaria.com.au

Bursaria Fine Foods presents ‘A Touch of…’

Rosina Function Space: 1 St. Heliers Street, Abbotsford, Melbourne

Cost: $55.00

Time: 2-4 pm

2013 Dates (Third Sunday of every month)

• 19th May
  • 16th June
  • 21 July
  • 18th August
  • 15th September

Iron Chef Shellie dined as a guest of Bursaria thanks to Zilla & Brook

Comments

18 comments on “‘A Touch of…’ at Bursaria
  1. Hannah - April 23, 2013 at 3:10 am

Lavender and rosewater! Blue cheese! Zomg!

Though I don’t like how the name makes me think of bursitis.

2. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - April 23, 2013 at 9:18 am

How can I choose which one thing to comment on? So many gems in this one. Please could you put that outfit back on and take a photo?

I’ve never sucked a meringue off the top of anything and now it’s all I want to see if I can do. Hard meringue wouldn’t please me but that high tea sure would.

Wonderful post :)

3. Gourmet Getaways - April 23, 2013 at 10:38 am

I would love to go to high tea here! Everything looks so amazing. I don’t usually think much of plain high teas with boring scones and sandwiches, this one has certainly lifted things to another level.

4. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - April 23, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Ooh this looks gorgeous – I do love a good high tea – particularly one attended by people called Flossie! Great way to finish your bday celebrations

5. Keren - April 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm

What fun! Looks fabulous .. and brilliant timing, great birthday present :)

6. Sarah - April 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm

That looks like such a fun afternoon, and such a wide selection of treats. It looks like they really made the most of the pretty setting :)

7. Agnes - April 23, 2013 at 8:53 pm

You forgot the part where you got balls in your face. Now *that’s* how you end a birthday weekend. :p

8. msihua - April 23, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Ooooooo I would have loved to decorate this place.. makes me itch to want to plan for a wedding.. not that I can be bothered with all that work.. but soooo pretty!

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - April 24, 2013 at 9:27 am

What a fun event! And the Flossy outfit is a great one for Halloween! 😀

10. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - April 24, 2013 at 11:23 am

WOW you already blogged about it :) so quick! I was once again turning poison ivy green when I saw the photos on instagram so pretty everything oh oh oh it’s on for the next couple of months! That’s it I’m inviting my girlfriends and booking in! YAY!

11. Ashley - April 25, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Goodness! You’re fast! Love the shots of Flossy! 😉

12. Libby - April 26, 2013 at 8:45 am

I’m not normally a high tea girl but oh my, everything looks so delicious! And what an amazing place to have it in too.

13. Adrian (Food Rehab) - April 27, 2013 at 11:28 am

Dang chicka, you waste no taaame. Yes, I now want fairy floss. Can you please make me that weave?

14. milkteaxx - April 27, 2013 at 10:43 pm

i was going to say that the meringue looks so perfect, but if it is on a top of a tart it has to be the squishy one! and next time dont get changed, id love to see u in that costume 😉

15. Matt - April 28, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Awesome pics, you must have done a lot of practicing to be able to achieve crisp colours like this.

16. penny aka jeroxie - April 29, 2013 at 9:51 pm

So cute and so much fun…. !

17. Ling - May 12, 2013 at 8:00 pm

This looks damn fantastic! My trip to Abbotsford convent was …. interesting..
    It was SO hipster.. We isolated ourselves to the corner where benches were so we didn’t have to fight for a table at the cafe. But now I wanna go attend one of these. Yum Yum.