Cheat’s Bombe Alaska

“Need a quick dessert that is a bit out of the ordinary? These quick and easy bombe alaskas don't take much time, but are always a crowd favourite.”

Recipes | February 5, 2013
Cheat’s Bombe Alaska

Cheat’s Bombe Alaska

My awesome Grandma first introduced me to Bombe Alaska… I think….

She would make a sponge base, douse it in liquor, put an ice-cream cake on top, then covered it in whipped eggwhites and blow torched it. She once went to Bunnings for an industrial “blow torch”…. and my Dad was having heart palpitations watching her try and use it. Needless to say, we have since made sure the only blow torch she uses is a kitchen purposed one.

I invited Grandma over to my new house for a French lunch of coq au vin and bombe alaska. I was so relieved she loved my place, and my cooking! And she was very impressed with these little babies. Thanks Mum who saved the day after I was having issues with whipping egg whites for the first time in my life.

So easy, so cute, and so delicious!

Mini Bombe Alaska

Coles Magazine

• 300g Swiss Sponge Roll
  • 1L Neapolitan ice-cream
  • 3 egg whites, room temperature
  • ¾ cup caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 250g punnet strawberries, sliced
  1. Cut Swiss Roll into 8 slices and arrange on trays that will fit into the freezer. Using an ice-cream scoop, place a scoop of ice-cream onto each slice. Cover with plastic wrap, place trays into freezer for at least 1 hr or up to 4hrs.
  2. Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan. Use electric beaters to beat egg whites to soft peaks. Add the sugar gradually, beating well between each addition until the sugar has dissovled and the mixture is glossy. Beat in the vanilla. Transfer the ice-cream sliced to ovenproof trays lined with baking paper.
  3. Using a non-serrated knife, quickly spread the meringue over each, until completely covered. Place into the oven and bake for 4 minutes until meringue is lightly golden. Alternatively, use a cooking blow torch or brown the edges.
  4. Use a spatula to lift from the tray (hold the paper down if it sticks), and place on serving plates. Serve with sliced strawberries.

Cheat’s Bombe Alaska

Comments

15 comments on “Cheat’s Bombe Alaska
  1. Lianne - February 5, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Wow! (: These look so good and I love that it’s alot easier as compared to the traditional ones! hehe But still NOMS! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Definitely want to try this soon! x

2. Senka - February 5, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Hi,
    We’ve recently launched the website Everyrecipe.com.au. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from Australian websites and blogs. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://everyrecipe.com.au or send us an email on info@everyrecipe.com.au. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,
    Senka

3. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - February 6, 2013 at 10:33 am

It’s like a nigella recipe, may be a cheat sometimes but it’s fabulous and made with love :)

4. Ashley - February 6, 2013 at 11:40 am

My dad once made an absolute giant bombe alaska which was a jolly good ol’ time, but I love your individual mini sized ones! So perfect! :)

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme - February 6, 2013 at 11:51 am

Always got a love a cheat’s everything 😉 Still looks fan friggen tastic. The look of most bombe’s just make you want to squeal and dig right in with a huge spoon!

6. GourmetGetaways - February 6, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Oh this does look amazing! …and so quick when you use a store bought cake and mum does the egg whites 😉
    I have always been going to make a bombed Alaska, I think I will do your quick version though 😉

7. Cherrie - February 6, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I love this cheats version. I haven’t made these in years but sure to try this quick version. :)

8. Sara @bellyrumbles - February 7, 2013 at 5:37 pm

One of those magical dishes from my childhood. Mum use to put them in the oven, no kitchen blow torch. It has only been over the past few years that I realised people use torches on them as well.

9. milkteaxx - February 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm

thats such an awesome and simple way to make bombe alaska! i shall try that out tmr as ive been so busy i havent made anything to contribute to the CNY party tmr!

10. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - February 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm

These are super cute Shellie :) I remember seeing these on Instagram hehe I think I’ve seen a similar recipe and have been meaning to try but haven’t had the chance ~ need to make it soon! Looks too good!

11. Food is our religion - February 10, 2013 at 8:57 pm

buhahaha yes this is an awesome recipe, definitely seems much more easier than the usual ones I have come across.

12. April - February 14, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Looks fabulous for a first attempt and I’m loving the lighting at your new place!

13. Agnes - February 16, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I want your granny!

14. msihua - March 2, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Mmmmm I want this.. and possibly borrow your granny too :)